991 gt3 cup car expense

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 01:28 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
DE in nor cal: bn run session is at most 90 min. during that period....

991/997 motec has no fuel gauge, pump out fuel and add fuel

most 996 dont have motec data but 997991 comes with it so might as down load and analyze it

sometimes the shifting (throttle lift/cut off ) doesn't syn with the paddle/shifter. that's adjusted on motec. (just one example). a lot of stuff on them are controlled by motec. and motec is not very straight forward (at least to me). so you will be there working the laptop a lot.

it's often hot on track, you are too busy fiddle the car, forget to drink.

while on motec and pumping fuel, you might also want to throw on a set of new tires.

the brake bias should be chekced and adjusted as your tires wear and track condition change. (you don thave that on 996)

all doable, but you will be pretty tired at the end of the day.

with my 996. i just change tire. then the rest is just like a street car. get in, buckle up and drive it.
I run a 997 Cup. What mooty is saying is right. I tried running it alone once:
- Getting pressures right. DISASTER. Sprinting out of the car after 3-4 laps to try and check tire pressures was a mess
- Pushing the car into pits after 30 min driving session. I'm in good shape, but a 997 is a suffocating hotbox at the best of times
- You have to check data after each run. Check for peak rpm. Check fuel pressure. Check oil pressure. Check faults if any.
- If you don't have ABS, you really ought to jack the car up and eyeball the tires for flat spots and/or damage of any sort. Every run.
- Changing tires... forget it. Its a 2 man job.

What I'm told about the 991 is similar; you need Cosworth support in case something goes iffy with the ECU. During the race weekends my engineer is always plugged in and fiddling with something.

However, from a driving standpoint its a lot easier to drive, and a lot less physical. You don't need the razor sharp setup that a 997 needs to come alive, and the car is more forgiving under braking.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:01 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Great insights in this thread regarding "At Track" engagement with routine car management/maintenance. I'm one who prefers to let my shop handle the plethora of small set up stuff at the track as well as routine maintenance. I do a true arrive and drive because I have a local shop that's trustworthy and reasonably priced. I did the whole store, tow, drive and all maintenance solo with my 968 and the early days with a 996 Cup. I prefer to focus on my driving at the track but ask a lot of questions of the technician working with me and identify opportunities to improve my driving thru data and car setup. This change in approach was based on my limited number of days to be at the track and wanting to stay focused on driving and not tinkering. I want to believe the focus on driving has made be a better driver, some could argue otherwise(lol) and the total cost is not that significant when partnering with a reasonably priced shop who has historically caught the small things before becoming big things.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:07 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

I've done my own support when I race my 997.2 Cup during the summer. It is exhausting but I love doing it. Not that bad. Usually someone is around to check the tire pressures if you ask nicely and I usually get someone not racing in my group to handle my radio but I can do without the radio if need be. Just have the car checked and services by a local shop between events.

During the winter when I race at Sebring I have an awesome crew and live the good life with full support.

Cups, either way are awesome.

Stu
Old 12-03-2015, 07:52 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
sometimes the shifting (throttle lift/cut off ) doesn't syn with the paddle/shifter. that's adjusted on motec. (just one example). a lot of stuff on them are controlled by motec. and motec is not very straight forward (at least to me). so you will be there working the laptop a lot.
This is indeed a big thing. Those cars become more "electronic" with each generation, and you quickly get small niggles that need looking at by an engineer.

I saw something similar on a friend's car (997.1 Cup) who had a paddle shift system installed. It took 3 trackdays to get the thing running correctly. You don't want to do that by yourself. Impossible.

Quick Reply: 991 gt3 cup car expense