991 gt3 cup car expense

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 12:12 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Trailer and all by myself with no help...you don't need it, brakes and tires, 30-40k year all in including 4 sets of slick=10k some racing with hard driven DE's and
winter maintenance =10-15k that includes a trans inspection and refresh, clutch refresh if needed. new axels,bearings and suspension as needed.
Does not include the engine @120-200hrs. and body refresh.

Still worth it.

This might be over kill, but my car does not break at the track.
Does your 30-40K figure include the 15K winter work? Even taking out the slicks for 10K, still a large sum. Figures you are doing a lot of racing.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:56 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
Does your 30-40K figure include the 15K winter work? Even taking out the slicks for 10K, still a large sum. Figures you are doing a lot of racing.
If you think it can be done cheaper, you are simply not wanting to see the truth.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:21 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

If you only use one set of tires, don't budget for any damage, and don't budget for engine or tranny rebuild costs then yes a weekend of DE can be done for 8000.

Here are costs per hour at club level. This is on low end.

Engine 600
Trans 300
Tires 1000
Fuel 125
Support 250
Transport 250
Other maintain 250
Total about 2500 to 2700.

Then oh by the way PMNA issues a TSB that steering rack may leak so shop gets new one that's a few thousand for a part that was probably fine and unlike a street car there is no "warranty recall" work done.

The only do it yourself above is 500 for support and transport.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:21 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i seriously doubt ONE individual who is also the driver can support a 991 cup car without help. 996 cup yes, i did it easily. 997 cup. i am pushing it doing the work myself, not easy but doable, 991... good luck.

if ur shop is encouraging you to DE a 991 cup, i will flat out say it here. run away from them. sure, one or two DE days to get acquainted or you just want some low key hours with the car... but if the intent is to do 24 DE days in a 991 cup car.... this is like u flying a 747 with 2 passengers in the cabin from LAX to burbank. it makes zero sense.
A 6 cup Mooty, I'm not sure why a 991 would be that much different.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:05 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

...and keep in mind that if you are not already trailering your car, you will have to think about :
* Getting and maintening a trailer
* Maybe passing some licence to drive it
* Having a towing car
* Taking a box for the night because your cup doors can't be locked (or have an enclosed trailer and load it each evening on a several days event)
* Being able to store all the above
* Have the time/space to load/unload, etc the trailer

And so on. Begin by putting a nail, and get all your arm (and the rest...) in the process... (ask me how I know...)
Old 12-01-2015, 12:22 AM
GWF911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all so true but I was happily forewarned by this excellent bunch of hooligans. Only had the 996 cup for less than two months, only two track days so far and the money is flowing out fast but again you guys had thoroughly advised me on all of this. Just got the tow vehicle and now getting ready to order the enclosed trailer. As you can imagine the wife is just loving all this Changing things on car already and then there was completely redoing alignment etc as the car was showing too much under steer. It all adds up real fast. I would never recommend buying a cup car if you have to watch the dollars too closely.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:29 AM
GWF911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh and then there is redoing the Livery as my car is too blue. I am an Army guy not Air Force so that has to be changed at some point. That is a question I never asked. What is the range of costs to have livery redone? Not top of priority list but will want to do it at some point.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:34 AM
tommyg500
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if ur shop is encouraging you to DE a 991 cup, i will flat out say it here. run away from them. sure, one or two DE days to get acquainted or you just want some low key hours with the car... but if the intent is to do 24 DE days in a 991 cup car.... this is like u flying a 747 with 2 passengers in the cabin from LAX to burbank. it makes zero sense.

^^^ Listen to Mooty.. It makes no sense...
Old 12-01-2015, 03:35 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by nycjwi
I know this is a loaded question but what is a ballpark on cost for the year to run a 991 gt3 cup car assuming 2 day tracking once a month for a year?
If only doing D.E, and for one weekend a month, then I would say the cost of taking a good 991 Cup and using it for that purpose might be reasonable. Call it 50 hours of non competition use. As long as everything was fresh on the car it should run the whole year without much trouble.

You would not need fresh slicks nor brakes each weekend and you would not need a full crew like a race weekend would command.
Transportation would be up to you. Trailer it yourself or hire a shop to transport and crew it.

You would have the benefit of a full cage car for safety, but you would also have to deal with driving a very fast fully caged car for better or worse of your abilities.

Resale of the car would remain decent as opposed to a fully caged street car which is nice.

A 991Cup is alot of car for D.E weekends.
Personally, As a training car, it would be too quick for me to learn. But that is me.

Sometimes you just gotta scratch that itch though, and if a factory race car is that itch, then so be it.

I have considered an early 997 Cup for a D.E toy, but they really are just a commitiment of money and time. They command so much money when things break. And it would almost a shame to not be racing it in between refreshs.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
A 6 cup Mooty, I'm not sure why a 991 would be that much different.
DE in nor cal: bn run session is at most 90 min. during that period....

991/997 motec has no fuel gauge, pump out fuel and add fuel

most 996 dont have motec data but 997991 comes with it so might as down load and analyze it

sometimes the shifting (throttle lift/cut off ) doesn't syn with the paddle/shifter. that's adjusted on motec. (just one example). a lot of stuff on them are controlled by motec. and motec is not very straight forward (at least to me). so you will be there working the laptop a lot.

it's often hot on track, you are too busy fiddle the car, forget to drink.

while on motec and pumping fuel, you might also want to throw on a set of new tires.

the brake bias should be chekced and adjusted as your tires wear and track condition change. (you don thave that on 996)

all doable, but you will be pretty tired at the end of the day.

with my 996. i just change tire. then the rest is just like a street car. get in, buckle up and drive it.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:16 AM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

No need to pump out Fuel during a DE in any 997 or 991... Fuel level provided by Motec/ Cosworth-dash is pretty accurate.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:46 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

with my 996. i just change tire. then the rest is just like a street car. get in, buckle up and drive it.
i like this.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:30 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

most 996 dont have motec data but 997991 comes with it so might as down load and analyze it

sometimes the shifting (throttle lift/cut off ) doesn't syn with the paddle/shifter. that's adjusted on motec. (just one example). a lot of stuff on them are controlled by motec. and motec is not very straight forward (at least to me). so you will be there working the laptop a lot.

while on motec and pumping fuel, you might also want to throw on a set of new tires.

the brake bias should be chekced and adjusted as your tires wear and track condition change. (you don thave that on 996)

All very valid points of operating a factory race car, especially by yourself.
Dog tired is right! especially in the hot sun.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Totor
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GWF911
Oh and then there is redoing the Livery as my car is too blue. I am an Army guy not Air Force so that has to be changed at some point. That is a question I never asked. What is the range of costs to have livery redone? Not top of priority list but will want to do it at some point.
Mine was all white with old ugly stickers everywhere... I stripped it myself. New full sticking costed me aroung $1750...

T
Old 12-01-2015, 04:05 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got it.

Quick Reply: 991 gt3 cup car expense