Sponsored by:

Smoke from oil tank/dipstick hole

Old 08-04-2015, 05:48 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Smoke from oil tank/dipstick hole

This concerns a 2003 996 GT3 Cup car.

Last time at the track I wanted to check engine oil level. Everything was up to temperature (oil 105deg C) so I unscrewed the oil filler cap and removed the dipstick to check. There was smoke coming out of the filler hole. Is this normal? This is the first P car I have owned with only a manual dipstick so I've never opened an oil filler cap before with a running, hot, engine.

Also, how hard is it to read the oil level? Had to ask some race team to help me out, I didn't see a thing on the dip stick. Also, how much do you guys top it up? There are 3 indicators on that stick. One completely at the bottom, one a bit further up and one even more further up. The Cup manual doesn't explain this, and previously I always had my oil checked/topped up by my shop.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:04 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Vapors coming out of the oil fill pipe is normal. "Smoke" might be a different thing, but I think you are OK. I learned to check oil on a Cup car using a clean folded paper towel. You pull out the dipstick (with the engine above 150F and running), wipe the stick clean and insert it all the way. Pull it out an lay it carefully on the clean folded towel. Oil will jump to the towel making it fairly clear where the level is. I'd run it near the top mark, and not below the bottom mark.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:29 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The bottom mark being the little thing all the way at the bottom of the stick?

Old 08-05-2015, 02:55 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Make sure to run a compression test and a leak down if it's puffing a bit, sometimes that's a sign of a cracked ring.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:32 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,699 Likes on 989 Posts

I have both this dipstick and the electronic oil level gauge on my Mezger. FWIW, when the electronic gauge shows full, the dipstick shows oil right up to the 2nd (middle) mark. I've never seen any smoke come out of the filler neck.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:52 AM
McRae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As said before, vapors are quite normal. Keep the dipstick in your toolbox and not in the engine while running, this way it's completely dry when checking the level, makes it even easier to do the paper towel trick. Also once had the bottom mark (yes, the bottom mark being the little thing all the way at the bottom of the stick) break off and bounce around inside the engine, wasn't too good... So ever since then no dipsticks in my cars!

It's 1L between top and bottom marker FYI.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:48 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dipstick

Here is what I do:
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
Vapors coming out of the oil fill pipe is normal. "Smoke" might be a different thing, but I think you are OK. I learned to check oil on a Cup car using a clean folded paper towel. You pull out the dipstick (with the engine above 150F and running), wipe the stick clean and insert it all the way. Pull it out an lay it carefully on the clean folded towel. Oil will jump to the towel making it fairly clear where the level is. I'd run it near the top mark, and not below the bottom mark.
I'd like to differentiate between vapors(normal) and puffs(not normal)
To clarify my post above.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:49 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

^ Indeed. Keep the dipstick out, run it for a minute (without overheating your engine) and see if the symptom continues... def looking at an engine job if you keep puffing...
Old 08-07-2015, 06:20 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Seen that many times in my 996 Cup. No worries at all.
Oil should not be below lower mark on stick. Difference between both stripes is approximately 1 ltr.
Dry sump should first be on lowest level so you need at least 45 sec idle before measuring.
To early will be misreading too few oil. Over filling is maybe worse then running with a liter to few.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smoke from oil tank/dipstick hole