Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

PCA tire rules submission

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts
Default PCA tire rules submission

Sent this today, perhaps too much time on my hands, and too long a winter here in Mn. Open to any thoughts here i might be missing.

PCA Club Racing Committee

RE: 2014 Rule consideration

I have been involved with Auto Racing for the better part of 20 years, 5 with SCCA and 14/15 years with PCA. Currently racing a 03 996 cup in the "Cup" series - GTC-3.

I am writing twofold today;

A: For the PCA Club Racing Committee to rescind the requirement of [Each] GTC class to be required to run a “spec” tire to be able to race in each of their respective class.

Why? Cost. The price for the required “spec tire” is approximately $300 -$500 more per set than 3 other tire suppliers, Pirelli, Yokohama & Hoosier.

In order to be competitive in the “vaunted” PCA Championship points, I personally have found I need to run three sets, (yep 3 sets) a weekend in club racing…..

I ask you, when was the last time you found yourself buying the most expensive rubber available to you for a PCA weekend, let alone 3 sets?!

B: For “our” club to be a bit more forthright in letting the membership know exactly how much money the PCA receives from the tire sponsor, and how those monies

are distributed that ALL GTC classes are required now to purchase to be able to race in each of their respective classes

Why? Simple, “We” are a members club right? Why is this a huge secret?

I understand that there are monies that would be required to help “police”the GTC classes, and that is where this was decided where it would come from.

It would be nice to know exactly how these funds are distributed as a card-carrying member of PCA as i have a feeling we are subsidizing each PCA race weekend

at "OUR" expense. Are "WE"?

For any racer running a spec tire, it should be one that a tire supplier

gives them the benefit, not the other way around.

Jerry Greene

PCA Member # 1988*******
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

agreed
Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

+1
Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 AM
piko6
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

You don't have to run the tire of course... Just saying. Spec series spec tire. I expect pca is going to keep moving forward, everyone posting here wants cups to have a seperate group and super license since we cuppy drivers are perceived to be no talent poopy head pachinko ball playing fools anyway...

I expect we will get more and larger deals not less. There is a class for those that don't want to run the spec tire or brake pad or whatever the next step is. Cup racing is already being courted in many ways, Pirelli cup, imsa cup, pca cup...

Just my observations, but I run Gta for a reason and it has absolutely nothing to do with tires...
Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glen runs GTA so he can get out and in front of poopy head, no talent Cup drivers.

That's all...
Old 04-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by KaiB
Glen runs GTA so he can get out and in front of poopy head, no talent Cup drivers.

That's all...
No I love the no talent poopy headed pachinko guys... They are so incredibly lucky to end up at the front of a field...lol
In fact the first two posts are from incredibly talented no talent poopy headed pachinko ball drivers...
I raced with the no talent poopy head pachinko groups for years.

Now I've moved into the incredibly untalented stupid idiotic pinball wizard groups... Did it in gtc3, gtc4, gta2 now trying gta1 and hope someday to try gtc5...
Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Coco_951
Instructor

Still waiting on "policing" GTC classes too. That was a big promise or threat that certainly didn't materialize to much and the big reason they did the tire deal, as far as we were told.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same opinion as Jerry, I don't like the idea of having to pay more for a spec tire. I'd like the ability to choose a perhaps slower, cheaper or longer lasting tire at my discretion. I do race with PCA but I don't run Michelin from their chosen supplier so I'm not eligible for points, so be it.
I also agree that the reason for running the tire seems to be in order to benefit "our" club, not the racer or the series. I agree that more transparency from the PCA should be forthcoming.
It's enlightening to know that some view cup drivers as poopy heads. I'll have to work that into our team logo somehow
Old 04-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by Coco_951
Still waiting on "policing" GTC classes too. That was a big promise or threat that certainly didn't materialize to much and the big reason they did the tire deal, as far as we were told.
This is and has been done very quietly and effectively. Most cheater motor cars are gone. Next big cheat focus on gtc3 will be solid bushed 997 pieces under 996 cups that came from factory with rubber bushed bits...
Or if you want to cheat and not get caught just don't finish near the front consistently and you will never have a problem...
Old 04-10-2013, 12:48 PM
chrcook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glen
Or if you want to cheat and not get caught just don't finish near the front consistently and you will never have a problem...
That's been my strategy for years! I hate podiums: champagne, grid girls, pictures, no cussing... What a PITA!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Coco_951
Instructor

Originally Posted by Glen
Originally Posted by Coco_951
This is and has been done very quietly and effectively. Most cheater motor cars are gone. Next big cheat focus on gtc3 will be solid bushed 997 pieces under 996 cups that came from factory with rubber bushed bits...
They must work the paddocks at night then because I was at a couple bigger races and they never pulled the cups in for any kind of tech. Unless they did during sessions my car decided it didn't want to participate!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

"Poopy-Headed, Pachenko Ball Racing". I *like* it! Even better than Gray's Anatomy Racing!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

And to stay on topic, it would be nice to have a small bit of competition among tire vendors. Although I highly doubt that the Scruts would know that one's Michelin tires came from Sube Sports instead of Jackson. It seems some competition would, perhaps, benefit racers when it comes to tire pricing.

I talked to a Grand Am GT3 Cup racer recently who said the Contis they run SUCK. And I've heard some of our own poopy-heads lay some pretty good praise on the Advans.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 PM
ballzout
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still want to know why everything "Porsche" has to be so freaking expensive??? I'd rather be building a bit more into my retirement fund than sponsoring Michelin/Yokohama or Hoosier! Coming through the ranks in racing many different cars and classes I know the ease of burning up 4 corners worth of rubber in two days, and tossing out hundreds of bucks in 48 hours, and I've gulpped it down for close to 20 years, but in those early years I was used to spending $500 a week end for tires, and still having a practice set! Now move over to Porsche cup, and the tires went from $150 each to $500 for another inch of rubber on each end ? What the ...? I just ran with some ASR cars ( NASCAR wanna-be's) at Laguna Seca and in their 3300 pound dented body work, under braking, slimy driving mannored, easily replaced cars, they are staying up with the Porsche elite on $100 tires...at the end of a race none the less!! So my question is when is someone going to come up with an affordable, good working tire for a silly 2500 pound race car??? I'm starting to realize why the first 3 letters in Porsche are there! Geeeze !

Quick Reply: PCA tire rules submission