Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Brumos Special Edition Cup

Old 07-04-2012, 12:10 AM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brumos Special Edition Cup

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but this whole thing smacks of more Porsche corporate marketing hype to me. I admit I don't know much about the current cup car offering, but the "special features" of this very limited edition don't seem all that special to me. The price may be in line with the market (you guys tell me) but it strikes me as very high... kind of like a $210K speedstster or a $250K RS? Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan and very respectful of what Brumos has accomplished over the years. This just doesn't feel right to me.

Brumos Racing to Market Special Edition Porsche 911 GT3 Cup Model to Celebrate Championship

SANTA ANA, Calif. – June 28 – Porsche Motorsport North America, Inc., in conjunction with Brumos Racing, the motorsports division of Brumos Porsche in Jacksonville, Florida, will offer a special edition of five 2012 Porsche 911 GT3 Cup race cars to commemorate its 2011 Rolex GRAND-AM GT championship.

The 911 GT3 Cup car, the most successful production-based race car in history, races in dozens of professional sports car series and one-make cup competitions all over the world, including the Rolex GRAND-AM Sports Car series, where the car has won multiple championships.

These five cars, which will be the last five 911 GT3 Cup cars with North American specification produced for the 2012 model year, will feature the 4.0 liter racing engine, which Porsche Motorsport North America builds exclusively for Grand-Am teams. The cars, which will be eligible to race in SCCA, Porsche Club of America, Porsche Owners Club and other similar competition, will feature the famous Brumos livery and other exclusive Brumos-only touches. Porsche Motorsport will upgrade the standard Cup car engine to Grand-Am
spec, with more than 450 horsepower, which offers higher performance through additional torque, and add other features such as brake and wheel steering sensors, a “blipper” system for easier down-shifting, and Motec data acquisition system with predictive lap timing information and other function monitoring. These five cars will feature an exclusive model identification badge on the rear deck “911 GT3 Cup 4.0,” and a chassis ID plaque with full vehicle name and complete VIN number.

...This is the first time that Porsche Motorsport North America has offered a special limited edition of a race car, and, with the
featured strong four liter engine racing engine and the exclusive Brumos detailed features, the happy owners of these cars will have a lot
of fun at the track with the unique and beautiful cars,” said Jens Walther, president of Porsche Motorsport North America, Inc.

The Five racers will be delivered with a certificate of authenticity from Porsche Motorsport North America in a special ceremony including dinner with Hurley Haywood, Leh Keen and Andrew Davis at the Brumos AutoWerks & Collection in Jacksonville.

...The Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 4.0 Brumos Commemorative Edition cars will retail for $265,259 (plus applicable taxes) , and will come with a long list of Brumos-installed special features that include a carbon dead pedal, carbon floorboard under the pedals, carbon dash panel for the Motec display, digishield cover for the front bumper and hood, front debris screens, polished rear wing uprights, and special Brumos livery and paint.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:09 AM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Seems cheap. The upgrade from a normal Cup motor to a Rolex spec motor is over $40k (including exhaust). Of course, who are you going to race it with? I don't know... guess it's for collectors or track days?

-mike
Old 07-04-2012, 01:21 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like 5 Cups will go to Brumos, get a little bling, and then get sold. A good way for Brumos to make some dough. Little else.

A few years ago another RL'er bought a 996 Cup, put GT3RS bodywork on it, and Brumos stripes and badging, and Hurley Haywood sent him a letter telling him that the could keep the stripes but not the Brumos name.

And my PMNA rebuilt 3.8 dyno'd at 470...
Old 07-04-2012, 01:22 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so they had 5 997 Cup cars left over before they switch to the 991?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:18 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree with Mike, this is not a bad deal but where do you race it as you will still need to spend another $100K to make it competitive in GA or you could run it in PCA GTA........could be a cool car but then in GTA you will need to add all the go fast WC/GA goodies.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 07-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
I agree with Mike, this is not a bad deal but where do you race it as you will still need to spend another $100K to make it competitive in GA or you could run it in PCA GTA........could be a cool car but then in GTA you will need to add all the go fast WC/GA goodies.
Please pardon my ignorance, but how can you spend another 100k to make competitive? Apart from shocks, what more you have to add that it doesn't already have?

Thanks

c.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:59 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No problem.......but here is the basic list of upgrades you will need to be competitive in WC:
1) The Big One!!! RSR Gearbox upgrade!! $75K
2) Brembo Brakes from RSR $15K
3) 3-4 way race shocks $10K-$15K
4) Larger 3 piece BBS wheels and 4 sets of them too: $15K - $20K
5) Cockpit adjustable sway bars $5k
6) Widened Rear quarter panel modification $5k - $10K
7) GA headers and muffler system $14K
8) Lightweight body parts to get down to weight $5K - $10K
9) Lightweight flywheel and upgraded carbon clutch $5k - $7K

Scary, its more than $100K......
Old 07-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

ohhh, huh... mmmh, ok. Now I understand

But 75K for a gearbox, it's huge. Both are sequentials, what makes the RSR box more expensive? It is stronger I assume... But apart from that...?

c.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:28 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

RSR gearbox allows for a drop gear, lower CG (and weighs 40lbs less), lower ride height and proper axle angularity.

That's what it takes to be competitive in GA and unfortunately, the Porsche is not a front runner at this time.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys are crazy

PM sent.

c.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Derek@TRG
Former Vendor

Without getting too deep into it,the RSR box is a proper sequential gearbox, the Hollinger(stock Cup box) is more of a modified H pattern box. The RSR box has 3 main advantages, Stronger, it has a drop gear so you can move entire ratio up or down easily, and it sits higher up so you can run the car low and maintain decent axle goemetry.

Jame's mod list is pretty spot on, if you are running Grand-am throw in the RSR front subframe , trailing arms, dogbones etc, this may apply to WC as well, im not familiar with their rule book.

Mike H, nice run at the Glen!!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:29 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

I've heard 4 out of 5 are already sold. Definitely more of a collectors car but still sounds like a fun ride. Basically a stock cup with a 4.0.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:19 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Perfect. Just in time to be non competitive.

Cant see why somebody would want one for competition use with the 991 just around the corner?
A collector maybe, but why? It is exiting as a 7 year old platform that is having a hard time against the newer V8 vettes, ferraris and bmws.
That, combined with the finicky transmission which make it a crappy D.E car makes me wonder what use or value would a collector see in it?
A street 4.0L would be a better buy?

For the same money a used RSR with race winning history would be a better 997 race car to buy and collect, no?

I just cant see the long term investment value/demand of a sequential 997 Cup compared to the 993 cup or the user friendly manual tranny 996 cup which both in virgin trim have a strong market for a multitude of uses.

lotsa 997 Cups out there. Just sayin.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek@TRG
Mike H, nice run at the Glen!!
Thanks Derek! Bummer you guys had such bad luck with mechanicals/accidents. Good luck the rest of the season!

-mike
Old 07-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James-GMG
No problem.......but here is the basic list of upgrades you will need to be competitive in WC:
1) The Big One!!! RSR Gearbox upgrade!! $75K
2) Brembo Brakes from RSR $15K
3) 3-4 way race shocks $10K-$15K
4) Larger 3 piece BBS wheels and 4 sets of them too: $15K - $20K
5) Cockpit adjustable sway bars $5k
6) Widened Rear quarter panel modification $5k - $10K
7) GA headers and muffler system $14K
8) Lightweight body parts to get down to weight $5K - $10K
9) Lightweight flywheel and upgraded carbon clutch $5k - $7K

Scary, its more than $100K......
James,

I just realized that this list applies for WC. I thought it was for GA. So basically, we're looking at a car worth at least 325K to run WC-GT? And the GA should be a bit cheaper, right?

And they sell those GTS mustangs for 80K... Then again, improvements have to be made I guess...

Is it me or racing a Porsche is more expensive than anything else?

c.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brumos Special Edition Cup