Cup auto blipper

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:04 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cup auto blipper

One thing I love about Porsche is that you can buy just about any racing parts direct from factory. Try that with any other car company and they will laugh at your face.

I decided to get the auto blipper to ensure proper throttle blip when I down shift to minimize tranny wear and tear. I can blip the throttle but can not guarantee it is done perfectly every single time. 2010-2011 Cup has more electronic variable that you can modify to smooth out the blip hence ECU reflash is recommended for the 7.2 Cup. Both 7.1 and 7.2 Cup use mechanical throttle.

** Update **

OK, after putting it off for several months I finally got off my lazy rear end and install the Porsche autoblipper. Initially I was dreading this DIY. My experience tells me that it will take several days of cursing and bending every which ways to get it done. I was pleasantly surprised that it only took me 2 hours and it works like a charm! .... Thank God!

OK, here is what you get when you order the Porsche autoblipper from PMNA. $1500 will give you all the sequential shift housing, cable, blipper Assembly and pulleys with instruction in German and very bad English ... I thought my English was bad

Take your doors off and free up the interior for easy access

Release the throttle cable from the gas pedal and the body of the car by first removing the pin at the end of the cable

Open the throttle cable tensioner case and release then end of the cable then remove the throttle cable

Comparison of the throttle cables. Autoblipper cable have the middle part exposed for the blipper rollers

Now disconnect the sequential shifter position sensor, release the shifter cable pin at the end and remove the shifter cable holder on top of the shifter cable

Release the reverse lever cable then loosen the 4 nuts from base of shift assembly

Now your Cup car looks great without the sequential shifter assembly ... let's install a paddle shifter on the steering wheel instead lol

Here is what the sequential shifter look like on it's own. The new shifter housing has the holes drill out to accept the autoblipper roller assembly.

OK, now let's transfer everything from the sequential shifter assembly to the new housing

The sequential shifter can double as a police baton lol

Install the new end of the shifter cable which has a pulley that roll the autoblipper assembly when you push the throttle forward which pulls on the throttle cable and blip the throttle when you down shift

Install the new sequential shifter assembly back on the car then route the shifter cable through the autoblipper assembly as instructed. It is very intuitive and if you mess it up Porsche will increase your P-car tax by 20%

Now install the roller on the end of the throttle cable and secure everything down.

You will have to adjust the ends of the new throttle cable to make sure it will give you 100% throttle when the gas pedal is fully depressed and hit the gas pedal stop. Do not over do on the travel of the throttle cable or it will create too much tension on the cable itself and sometimes damage the throttle butterfly valve on the engine. Make sure there are not too much knick on the cable since it will make the cable stick.

Now you can slide the autoblipper assembly for and aft on the sequential housing to change the throttle blip %. Most people says you really can't get enough throttle blip but I like mine around 36%-38%. The max you can get is around 40% - 42%. I will demonstrate the autoblipper adjustment and check on the Motec system by video below:

Driving impression? FANTASTIC! Now the car will blip the throttle on it's own and one less thing for me to worry about. On draw back is that it will blip the throttle regardless of car speed and also at reverse. Best to turn off the car then shift into reverse or your friends will think you are nuts blipping the throttle trying to back out. Here is a in car video demonstrating how the autoblipper function on the track. Please excuse my poor driving. I have not been on the track for almost 5 months and took it really easy ... at least that's my excuse

Cheers

Mike

Last edited by mikymu; 02-13-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

It's the best, congrats!
Old 10-19-2011, 02:32 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Glen
It's the best, congrats!
Agree. Build quality was very good
Old 10-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Porsche should just move to drive by wire. That will also solve the cold idling and startup issues.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:00 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
It's the best, congrats!
You're just lazy...
Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

That looks very cool. Could you scan and post the installation instructions? I'd like to read them and drool.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:27 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will love it. In hard braking corners when you need to downshift more than 2 gears, it is awesome.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:02 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

This is what it should sound like when the blipper is working right, my Manthey adjusted for a strong blip at Daytona a few weeks ago. No grinds!!!

Old 10-21-2011, 04:30 PM
dass
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you please post the part No. for the blipper kit.My Porsche dealer is having trouble finding the listing.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:27 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

I think racing parts are not available at dealers, only at PMNA

http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand...ssinformation/
Old 10-22-2011, 02:16 AM
dass
Instructor

Found the part no. in the 2011 parts manual.

997.423.221.9C
Old 10-22-2011, 02:38 AM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone owning a Cup setup an account with PMNA?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:25 PM
dass
Instructor

I Think you will find that any Porsche dealer can supply motorsport parts.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:41 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
That looks very cool. Could you scan and post the installation instructions? I'd like to read them and drool.
Yup, give me some time and will PM you when done

Originally Posted by analogmike
This is what it should sound like when the blipper is working right, my Manthey adjusted for a strong blip at Daytona a few weeks ago. No grinds!!!

Man ... sound great. What happened to your video? Alot of statics

Originally Posted by tedean
Can anyone owning a Cup setup an account with PMNA?
Yup, just call them direct and they will hook you up. They accept credit card now days which is the best part
Old 10-24-2011, 11:22 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

My video was really ugly as the race went on due to some electrical problems in the car. Maybe caused by a wet connector. Radio was even worse and my rev limiter was not functioning.

Quick Reply: Cup auto blipper