Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Cayman S for track work....PDK or 6spd?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Jorge98C4S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Cayman S for track work....PDK or 6spd?

Gentlement,
Need some advice.

I have a 996 GT3 w low miles and in great condition that I've been -lightly- tracking for 3 years and absolutely love it. But I'm looking to push myself and the car more and I'm reluctant to continue to do it in this car. I know, let's leave aside for the moment opinions on whether or not not driving this awesome machine on track makes sense or not given their increasing rarity.

I'm currently considering having a track dedicated Cayman S and leaving the GT3 for those days when I crave the 6spd.

Looking at 2009 models. I'm really curious about the PDK option, how suitable it is for the track, will I get bored if I'm not heel-n-toeing, reliability issues w these transmissions. Any considerations vs 6spds....

Any opinions or experiences about 09 Cayman S w PDK for heavy track use you can share?

Thank you!
Old 01-29-2017, 07:46 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PDK must be quite some fun...for a short time, but then the urge to shift would kick in for me. Get a SSK and LSD car...if you can find one, of course PASM too. That's what I have and the car seems much more connected to the track.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:17 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

It really depends on what you are after. It's about perfecting a skill, then go with a 6 speed. If you are looking to race and go as fast as possible against other folks or if you are afraid of the money shift, go PDK. In race cars PDK has proven to be relatively reliable with the righ cooling mods. I have a good friend with a Cayman R who has been struggling with his PDK race car.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:09 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with Frank in that the decision is really about going a bit faster or having more of a hand in the game, so to speak. If your tracking is the DE sort of thing, PDK reliability is really pretty good. If competitive, then more cooling would be recommended.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:45 PM
Terry T.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jorge,
I spent many, many years getting pretty good at heel and toeing, so the idea of driving a track car with anything other than a manual is out. I take pride in my ability to practice this rapidly vanishing and increasingly useless art.

That said, I know plenty of folks who are very happy with their PDKs. I think your idea of keeping the GT3 for your manual cravings is a good one. So: Get the PDK.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:19 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Are you considering racing at some future point? That can help make the decision.

I have a 2006 Cayman S 6 speed. I had been competing in I class but then they let in Cayman Rs and Carreras with PDKs and it was just impossible.

My car is now reconfigured for Spec Cayman which is 6 speed only.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:51 PM
Jorge98C4S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys thanks very much for the feedback.
I think I'm leaning towards what my first impression was, that I wanted to stick w a 6spd. Way too much fun to give up. My goal is not to drive faster with an easier car, but rather hone pure driving skills.
Luigi's point on potential future racing is also a good one and Spec Cayman is definitely something I would consider eventually.
So seems like I will be in the market for a 06-08 Cayman S ideally as track ready as possible. Happy to slowly make mods towards a Spec down the line.
If anyone knows of any available let me know.

Thanks again to all the responses and hope to soon be a participant of yet another Rennlist forum!
Old 02-06-2017, 07:27 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Drove my 997 RS on the track for a couple years... Was fun rowing though the gear. Then starting taking my 991 GT3 with PDK. It took a lot of the inconsistencies out. The PDK is smooth and let me focus on brake zone, turn in, apex, track out, etc... Didn't have to think one about where the PDK-S was. Left it in automatic Sport Mode. Awesome. But very insulating. Not as involved...

Then I decided to get a 2009 Cayman S and built it to GTB1 spec. 6-speed manual. The car is FUN! It is as engaging as my 997 RS is. Go for the manual if you have a choice.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:33 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love my '11 Cayman "S" with LSD, PASM, Sport Chrono, etc. The car is not as wicked as an old school 911, but that's a good thing, given the torque.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:33 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Manual. More fun more of the time.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
Manual. More fun more of the time.
Correct!

Look at this video - ALL the other cars around me are PDK but I'm having the most fun:

Old 02-12-2017, 02:13 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

extensive advanced DE use will tax the first gen pdk, esp. if you put a real mechancical lsd on the back end of it which makes the pdk run even hotter

ask john tecce at bgb

several caymans with pdk's have had tranny issues - solenoids failure and potential off warranty tranny replacement down the road ... mine is getting very crispy... changing pdk fluid often to keep it on the resuscitated

Originally Posted by Jorge98C4S
Gentlement,
Need some advice.

I have a 996 GT3 w low miles and in great condition that I've been -lightly- tracking for 3 years and absolutely love it. But I'm looking to push myself and the car more and I'm reluctant to continue to do it in this car. I know, let's leave aside for the moment opinions on whether or not not driving this awesome machine on track makes sense or not given their increasing rarity.

I'm currently considering having a track dedicated Cayman S and leaving the GT3 for those days when I crave the 6spd.

Looking at 2009 models. I'm really curious about the PDK option, how suitable it is for the track, will I get bored if I'm not heel-n-toeing, reliability issues w these transmissions. Any considerations vs 6spds....

Any opinions or experiences about 09 Cayman S w PDK for heavy track use you can share?

Thank you!
Old 03-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Captain50
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive tracked both, and prefer both lol. I know that doesnt help but I like the PDK for when i'm concentrating on reducing lap times and spending more attention on turn-ins, braking, maneuvering etc but I do find it a bit duller. I like the 6sp when working on heel-toe skills and just overall having fun. So its really up to what you what you find the most enjoyable on your track days.

I will say the PDK is downright boring for street use, I find myself in auto mode 98% of the time.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:46 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

For track car you should get a 2009+ Cayman S, which has solved a lot of reliability issues with the previous motor plus other things including power steering weakness pump/lines/tank over-heat causing leak etc... needing an underdrive pulley + engine oil starvation, IMS and a host of other potential problems.

Manual all the way for 'fun' in driving.

Quick Reply: 2009 Cayman S for track work....PDK or 6spd?