Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Boxster Bad AOS Oil Everywhere - Need Help

Old 03-10-2017, 11:58 AM
OutOfLuck
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Boxster Bad AOS Oil Everywhere - Need Help

While driving my 2005 Boxster tip home (spiritedly) I noticed a squealing noise that was happening when I would let my foot of the gas. Next day there was no noise until the car got warm and then it started again. After some research I concluded it was the AOS failing but the closest shop was 40 mi away, so I disconnected the line from the AOS to the air intake so it wouldn't suck in oil and plugged the connections on the intake and AOS. I checked my oil level and it was full, let the car warm up and drove it about a mile. It was blowing smoke out the side but squealing stopped. I opened it up and there was oil everywhere all over the back passenger side of the car. I checked the Oil level and I was a full bar low. I realized i probably shouldn't have plugged the AOS side since with it plugged it couldn't vent. I unplugged the AOS connection started it up and looked for oil drips after it warmed, nothing. Drove it 2 miles and it was smoking but it sounded better, I figured I was burning off the spilled oil but I checked the oil level afterwards and it was a little lower. Decided to add oil and drive one last time to be sure. Added 2.5 quarts and drove 2 miles still sounded better than before, when i stopped and checked the oil there I was below the minimum and there was a trail of oil drops you could follow in my wake.

I know the AOS is bad for sure but could that cause me to loose all my oil while driving? It doesn't leak while idling but is loosing everything while driving, the oil coats everything on the passenger side all the way back to the back right tire.

I'm in a real tricky place here. I'm moving in a month from MD to TX and have poured money into this thing. I don't want to pay 1K for a tow and the diagnostics only to hear I'm screwed. Any ideas on what the issue could be that would cause me to lose so much oil?
Old 03-10-2017, 12:51 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My two cents, don't drive it or start it anymore. If you're not able to order and replace the AOS yourself, an expensive tow job is far cheaper than an engine replacement. If that advise isn't what you wanted to hear, you need to connect everything as normal and top it off as needed even if it's every few miles on the limp to the shop. What is causing the oil to drop isn't as crucial as making sure the car has enough if you're going to run it.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:54 PM
OutOfLuck
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No plan on starting it. I'm just hoping for some optimistic ideas on what could cause it to lose so much oil that maybe I can check out before dragging it in. I don't think the oil could have come from a bad AOS alone.

I had the 100,000 mile major service done early at 95K, then the water pump had to be replaced at 98k and now the AOS is bad at 103K and i have a major oil leak somewhere.... All I'll I'm looking for is some hope before I throw any more money at it or try and sell it as is.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:40 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced an AOS in a 1998, I don't recall how much oil it was losing it was mostly a smoke related event. Maybe someone else can chime in here but I wouldn't discount the AOS as the source of the leak, which may have been exasorbated given the other mechanical intervention you took to attempt to temporarily ebb the flow. The AOS isn't too bad to change, a jack is helpful as access from above and below makes the job easier. If you do change it be careful with the oil tube as it's easy to break off the dainty snapfit ends due to typical lousy German polymers. If it were mine, I'd change the AOS and re evaluate, you might find that's all that is ailing you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Boxster Bad AOS Oil Everywhere - Need Help