Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain tensioner fault??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 07:47 PM
Sarah5673
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain tensioner fault??

Hi, newbie here! Had this chain tensioner removedfrom bank 1-3, as you can see the 'flat edge' of the plunger is not in linewith the 'locking pin' any ideas how this could have rotated within normal use? The tensioner was removed in this failed state. Thank you!
Old 03-03-2017, 06:48 AM
Sarah5673
3rd Gear

The car had the 'rattle' upon stat up, was driven for over 2000 miles then engine stopped and CEL light came on, took it local dealer who told us it would be IMS but then rang and said they had found the issue and it was a seized chain tensioner. Tensioner has only covered 2000 miles and they didn't notice that the 'flat edge' of the piston was not lined up with the locking pin. They now say that it cannot be a fault and something must have caused the piston to rotate whilst in operation but can give me no answer as to what. Any help would be gratefully received x
Old 03-03-2017, 11:21 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Well, to state the obvious the tensioner suffered a mechanical failure. The mechanism that keeps the plunger's flat from rotating having apparently failed.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:36 AM
Sarah5673
3rd Gear

But they say theres no warranty as something in my engine must have caused it to happen? I wondered if it could have been manufactured slightly off but they say no, seems abit unfair that they cant give me any idea as to what has caused it but say its 'something' in the engine, feeling a little overwhelmed ��
Old 03-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Was this a replacement part or original to the engine? I've never seen one of these on person. Can you tell what keeps it from rotating normally? I agree with you that of this was an original engine component and the engine is under warranty then this should be covered. If you're out of warranty, or this was a replacement that may or may not have been installed correctly, then or would be hard to expect a dealership to cover it.

Shawn

Quick Reply: Timing chain tensioner fault??