Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Depress Clutch" message

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 09:34 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Depress Clutch" message

I am having to depress the clutch to the max to start the car and getting this message. It's getting worse and is now bottoming out. Is that simply an activation switch on the clutch pedal that can be adjusted?
Old 02-26-2017, 09:44 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't worked on one since the 986 days. However, in that iteration the switch did indeed have what almost looks like a ratcheting type of plunger in a switch that could be carefully disassembled and changed for actuation length. You might be able to simply loosen the bracket and adjust it or move the plunger in place and adjust it with the pedal pressure off of it. Worst case scenario you can order one and plug and play, hope that helps.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:41 PM
Georound
Instructor

Switch could have popped out of the bracket. If bad it's a cheap part! Do you have one of those Sprint Boosters installed?
Old 02-27-2017, 02:31 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

In the 987 era cars it is an on or off type switch, or at least that's how it looks like it functions to me. I wouldn't characterize it as adjustable either, but the switch lever could be bent I suppose.
It is also a known wear part and I've changed mine out already at less than 30K miles on my '06. It is not a very expensive part, and not terribly difficult to change, but it's a bit awkward to physically get to.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:24 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

It's not adjustable in the sense that it was designed that way but I was able to fix mine easily. As others have correctly stated it's a cheap part, easy to replace and owner serviceable.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:18 PM
Karl02832
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a recall on the 987 clutch switch. Bring it into the dealer and ask about it.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:27 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

997s had the same issue, faulty switch. Probably the switch
Old 03-04-2017, 03:58 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, thank you for all your input, it was helpful. I went to Porsche and bought a new Clutch pedal switch for $26 after club discount. It wasn't hard to swap it out except for the awkward location. I had a chance to compare the old and new side by side. Here is what I discovered. The old switch was not "worn" or damaged at all. Both switches have a plastic arm that is surrounded by a spring like a ball point pen. The arm is adjustable as far as depth setting. It's a simple tug in or out and you'll feel it click from notches in the arm resisting against it plastic holder. Yep, a simple yank in either direction to reset the depth. It will stop where you want it because of the click stops. I reinstalled the new switch but found the depth setting was very much the same as the old. So I pulled the arm one notch or click out and that was perfect. I also found I could do that without removing the switch at all. Just depress the clutch, find the arm, and pull out one notch. I wasted $26 but the knowledge I gained has some value I guess.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Masergss
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FIA Thanks for the write up, I have the same problem intermittently (and thanks to the rest of SME's).

Quick Reply: "Depress Clutch" message