Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman/Boxster seat covers! Not affiliated

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 03:45 PM
stasha
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cayman/Boxster seat covers! Not affiliated

DISCLAIMER!!! I have no affiliation with this seatcover maker -- just think his covers are excellent.

We always use seat covers on our cars, and usually, REGARDLESS OF PRICE AND "CUSTOM" CLAIMS, we have to settle for cloth bags that detract from the car's appearance. (BTW, I have owed dozens of cars with leather seats, and if left out of a garage and not protected, the leather breaks down within 7 years or less -- no, I won't spend my weekends "feeding" the leather; heck, I don't even want to waste time mowing the lawn.)

Sometimes we end up with sheepskin covers, but the backside of the sheepskins is typically a rough "cheesecloth" material that actually abrades the underlying leather seats.

So, I decided to try some custom seat covers advertised on EBay for our 06 Cayman S, and I'm pretty impressed with the product.

"Sherif" is the fellow who makes these covers, and when I ordered the covers, he called me up to ask some questions about the fitment.

Turns out he moved here from Paris (France, that is, not TX), and owns 2 Porsches. He had bought seatcovers for his cars and was so disappointed with the product that he figured he could do a much better job. He therefore started making covers for all Porsche models -- and only Porsches (I think he will make them for any model, but only advertises 996/997s, Boxsters and Cayman.)

The covers are some type of canvas outside, with the Porsche embroidered crest on the headrest, and with your choice of colored piping as well. They are lined with a soft material, and they fit tightly WITHOUT using any of the usual series of straps that other covers require to fasten under the bottom cushion. (He uses an elastic drawstring.)
They are side-airbag-friendly, and they feature a side pocket on the console side, which, using the metal slat (included), is used to push the fabric down between the seat and the console.

Some pictures are attached, showing some details, the side pocket, and first fitment in the Cayman. I have to pull them in tighter and align the edges better.

AGAIN, this is an UNSOLICITED description of this product, and I have absolutely no affiliation with Sherif, his family, his business, etc. I don't even know his last name.

Here is a link to one of his ads on EBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/porsche-seat...918271?vxp=mtr
Sherif's phone number is 305-300-1288, in case you want to ask him to make a set to fit a special Porsche application.
Attached Images       
Old 02-23-2017, 03:18 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmm, I guess I don't really know what to expect of slip-on style seat covers, but these don't really impress me.
Too loose fitting and kind of blingy.
But like I said I don't follow the market for something like this and maybe this is typical??

Edit,
These do look functional for protection though which is the reason to have them in the first place.
I just enjoy the look and feel of leather, and I willingly feed and clean my car's seats to keep them nice and functional.

Last edited by Spokayman; 02-23-2017 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Addnl thoughts
Old 02-23-2017, 06:24 PM
dennisafrompa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've used Wet Okole seat covers and they fit much better than those pictured. They also accommodate seat controls and don't just cover them up as these appear to. Because they fit so well they are pretty tough to slip on but they do look terrific. See their website for photos......I have NO affiliation with Wet Okole just a customer..
Old 02-23-2017, 08:04 PM
stasha
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisafrompa
I've used Wet Okole seat covers and they fit much better than those pictured. .
Yes, I had looked into the wet-look Okole and did not like that neoprene material -- belongs in a Jeep or my next door neighbor teenager's JDM.
Likewise, did not like vinyl ones or even leather insert ones -- nor fuzzy sheepy ones or velour, which pretty much covers all the other options.
My personal opinion was that those materials were not ok for my higher dollar cars -- they are fine for my minivan and MG and SMART car, but not the Porsches or Jag.

Now, do not get me wrong -- I am not running on my sword about these seat covers, and to be fair, I have not yet struggled with getting the fitment (and pictures) better. BUT, these, by far, are the best fitting and well-crafted seat covers, in a material that is acceptable to me, short of re-covering the seats, which is what the covers are meant to prevent.

Quick Reply: Cayman/Boxster seat covers! Not affiliated