Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best time to buy a pre-owned Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 09:05 AM
aspriggsdds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best time to buy a pre-owned Cayman

Hey guys,

I mentioned in another thread that I like to make auto youtube videos as a hobby and was asking for pictures for my next video. I just uploaded it and think you may like it/find it useful. It covers the current market values of the entire Cayman line up from 2006 tip present.

Also, I wanted to thank the ones of you that messaged me with pictures of their cars! I did use a few, but mostly stuck with stock images from Porsche just to keep everything relatively similar in the video.

Anyway, I hope you all like the video! Let me know what you think! Any critique/criticism is always welcome!

-Adam

Old 01-07-2017, 03:27 PM
digistyl3
Advanced

Just what I was looking for! Thanks, Adam!

I also found GTS models way more expensive than comparable S models. As you said, options don't hold their value that much.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:50 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Great post Adam! Well done.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:58 PM
mm1
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Very solid video, I bought a 14S CPO exactly as you said in your video. Data won't show it, but my guess is the 981 holds value slightly better than the 987 given the feel, look, and NA engine.

I'm going to watch your 911 video now but my guess is the 991 will keep falling in value, just too big and not the same as the old 997 or 993.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:58 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Adam - Great job. I'll be watching more of your videos. Keep it up!
Old 01-09-2017, 03:36 PM
rackhenry
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for that, will certainly help.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:33 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

It's tough to argue with facts. Well done ....
Old 01-13-2017, 12:55 AM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Nice video! Very good, clear presentation of facts.

(Intended to be) Constructive criticism:
1) while the lighting was acceptable, it could be better if you didn't have so much back lighting. Either keep the shades closed, or have more front lighting so your face is the focus rather than the bright sky behind you.
2) try seeing if you can do the speaking in fewer takes. It's a bit choppy when you sometimes stop/start recording between each sentence.

Not so constructive opinion:
outside of the numbers, have you driven a Cayman R? I've driven it back to back with a 2015 Cayman, and while the 2015 is a better DD, there is something about the R that makes me giggle like a little kid when I drive it. The lower 981s are absolutely fun, but don't have the X factor of the R.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:29 PM
aspriggsdds
Advanced

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm glad everyone enjoyed the video.

CliffJumper, I noticed that about the lighting. I need to work on that. And as far as the speaking thing, at the moment, I suck at speaking into a camera. I never imagined it would be as hard as it is and i'm just not comfortable with it (yet), but I'm getting better!

I've not driven the Cayman R. There was one at my local dealer last year, but I never went down to check it out. Hopefully, I'll get the chance in the future!
Old 01-14-2017, 08:58 PM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Originally Posted by aspriggsdds
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm glad everyone enjoyed the video.

CliffJumper, I noticed that about the lighting. I need to work on that. And as far as the speaking thing, at the moment, I suck at speaking into a camera. I never imagined it would be as hard as it is and i'm just not comfortable with it (yet), but I'm getting better!

I've not driven the Cayman R. There was one at my local dealer last year, but I never went down to check it out. Hopefully, I'll get the chance in the future!
You seemed comfortable to me! No nervousness or voice cracking that I could tell. Are you using a TelePrompTer of some sort (perhaps an iPad with the script on there)?
Old 02-19-2017, 04:50 AM
raconne2
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Adam! I actually came across your video before I saw this thread (probably three weeks ago or so). I know I'm late to this party, but I thought I'd leave my feedback regardless.

Anyway, you conducted yourself professionally and delivered really helpful information. The editing wasn't awkward and the photos/graphs you included in the video worked well. Long story short: I subscribed to your channel, as did a good many other folks (last I checked). Keep it up, man!
Old 02-22-2017, 09:55 AM
roll_the_dice
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I am in the market for a used Cayman, so I enjoyed your video. I think we sometimes get caught up in the...well a 2009 is going for $x and a 2012 is only this much more...then we start looking at the 2012 and then realize for only a few thousand more we can be in a 2014..and before we know it, we are way over our budget on a weekend car...So good advice...always get as much car you can that your budget will allow. However, I would ad stay as close to your budget as possible so no regrets are felt for over reaching. They are all such nice cars...hard to go wrong.

Quick Reply: Best time to buy a pre-owned Cayman