Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many km/ miles are too many for a 2011 987.2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 11:04 PM
Sydneysixer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many km/ miles are too many for a 2011 987.2?

Hi - I have just come over from the 997 forum, having sold my 2005 997.1 C2.

I am in the market for a 987.2, and have seen a 2011 Cayman base PDK which ticks most my boxes, except that it has >68,000 km (approx 42k miles). From experience with my 997, this is when some of the bigger ticket maintenance items start to accumulate, e.g. brake rotors, water pump, battery etc, in addition to the normal wear and tear items - tyres, spark plugs and engine oil changes.

What also concerns me is that it will always be a higher than average mile car for its age, even if I do only 5-10k km pa.

Even so, the owner has pitched it at the lower end of the price range for its age. It also under an extended Porsche warranty, although I need to check if that is transferable.

Any thoughts on items I should be mindful of with this distance, on the basis that I would like to do 20-30k km over the next 3-4 years, e.g. PDK?

Last edited by Sydneysixer; 02-04-2017 at 11:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-05-2017, 07:35 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

92,471?
Old 02-05-2017, 10:57 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

Most people consider rotors and battery normal wear and tear. These are not expensive. A set of tires will cost more. Don't service at dealer and you'll save a bundle. Find a good independent mechanic that knows Porsches and supply your own parts purchased online.

I have a 2010 PDK Cayman with 80K km, and its in a great shape. These cars are built well. Also 987.2 had many improvements over 987.1 especially in the engine department.

I would ensure the car your are considering has had regular maintenance done and also take it for a PPI.

Post a link to the Cayman you are considering, you may get more advise ...

Cheers

Last edited by olegd; 02-05-2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typing
Old 02-05-2017, 04:10 PM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydneysixer

I am in the market for a 987.2, and have seen a 2011 Cayman base PDK which ticks most my boxes, except that it has >68,000 km (approx 42k miles). From experience with my 997, this is when some of the bigger ticket maintenance items start to accumulate, e.g. brake rotors, water pump, battery etc, in addition to the normal wear and tear items - tyres, spark plugs and engine oil changes.

What also concerns me is that it will always be a higher than average mile car for its age, even if I do only 5-10k km pa.

Even so, the owner has pitched it at the lower end of the price range for its age. It also under an extended Porsche warranty, although I need to check if that is transferable.

Any thoughts on items I should be mindful of with this distance, on the basis that I would like to do 20-30k km over the next 3-4 years, e.g. PDK?
The real question is service history. I would look closely at what has been done already. Impossible to forecast maintenance without knowing what has been done to the car and when.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydneysixer

The car doesn't really have that many miles considering its age. Porsche considers 6K to 9K miles per year about average for its sports cars and that 2011 with 42K miles has covered on average just 7K miles per year which is towards the low end of what Porsche considers average.

If the car passes a thorough used car check out which includes a road test this suggests the car was well-maintained. Miles are not neccessarly a car killer. (My 2002 Boxster has over 308K miles and still runs just fine and hasn't needed any real work -- engine or drivetrain -- other than a VarioCam solenoid/actuator needed replaced at over 250K miles. The coils even the clutch are original.)

FWIW the only thing my Boxster needed between when I bought it new in Jan. 2002 with just 26 miles on the odometer -- most of those put on when I went for a test ride/drive -- and around Feb 2004 with around 80K miles on it (that's roughly 40K miles per year average) was an RMS (at 25K miles). It was at around 80K miles the 1st AOS went out. (Currently the car is on its 3rd replacement AOS.)

As for what you have to be mindful of at any mileage is everything. A water pump can get noisy or leak, a fuel pump can act up or fail outright. Radiators can leak. Ditto a coolant tank. RMS leak. While "rare" a wheel bearing can get noisy. And so on.

One can't just buy a car and not pay some attention to what it is trying to tell one. Well, one can buy a car and not pay attention but this is asking for trouble.

If I were buying this Cayman unless it had been done recently and I had proof it had been done I'd have the PDK fluid replaced. And I'd bring up to date any other services: plugs, brake fluid flush/bleed, even going so far to replace the "lifetime" coolant. (Doing this every 4 to 5 years I think is one reason why the water pump in my Boxster lasted to 172K miles.)

If these services are necessary you should be able to negotiate an adjustment to the price.

One advantage to buying a good used car is the previous owner has borne the brunt of the depreciation from new. Depreciation is the biggest cost of owning a car. The price of a new battery or even brake pads/rotors pale in comparison to what depreciation "costs."
Old 02-06-2017, 05:13 AM
Sydneysixer
Advanced

thanks all for your feedback.... yeah, I appreciate this one has plenty of life left in it. However, the market, at least here in Oz, seems to punish cars with >100,000km, which may bite me as a seller sometime down the track.

As Macster has stated, depreciation is usually a more significant factor than maintenance, although the reverse was true with my 997, which actually appreciated a little. Maybe that's why I am more wary of upcoming maintenance going into my next P-car, although obviously a negotiation point.

Thanks for the tips on fluid changes. I recall reading the PDK fluid is due at 90,000km or 6 years so not far away, along with a coolant flush. I will have to sleep on it!
Old 02-06-2017, 10:29 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

These cars will go 250,000 miles with routine service - so it just depends on how it has been maintained. Ive seen 100,000 mile cars in tip top shape and ones with less be in less condition.

Buy it and drive it. These aren't appreciating assets in my book anyway.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:47 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
...If I were buying this Cayman unless it had been done recently and I had proof it had been done I'd have the PDK fluid replaced....
I agree with the specific items Macster has called out with the possible exception of the PDK servicing.
PDK fluid change intervals are very long though I believe they vary from year to year of manufacture. When I enquired at my local dealer about a PDK fluid change on my '09 Boxster they very much discouraged it until something like 10 years and nearing 100K miles. I was surprised but the maintenance schedule indicated this too when I bothered to actually look it up.
What I do know is that it doesn't need to be replaced as often as the fluid in the old Porsche Tiptronic transmissions of yore.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:21 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

whaaaat? Just change the serpentine belt and the oil and filter. Maybe brake fluid. Check brakes, tires, coolant level, power steering, trans oil, and correct if needed. You're good to go.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Sydneysixer
Advanced

thanks all... after mulling it over, I came to the realisation that while this particular car ticked many of my boxes (PDK, sport chrono, well maintained by a car enthusiast with full service records) there were a few more unticked (Sport design wheel - which admittedly can be added later- and ideally PSE & PASM), so I let it go.
Even so, I have lifted my ceiling on what I consider to be a reasonable milage if all my other requirements are met.
Hope to post here again when I have a Cayman to show.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
These cars will go 250,000 miles with routine service - so it just depends on how it has been maintained. Ive seen 100,000 mile cars in tip top shape and ones with less be in less condition.

Buy it and drive it. These aren't appreciating assets in my book anyway.
I was going through the forums on the Cayman in anticipation of my pending 2018 Cayman S purchase, and I appreciated your comment....."These aren't appreciating assets in my book anyway". I am getting a little wrapped around the axel being all concerned about whether to XPEL or not, the need to purchasing battery tenders......and all sorts of concerns.....that I never had with any car I have ever owned. I want to avoid taking the fun out of ownership because the Cayman S was blast to drive.....
Old 04-14-2017, 06:07 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I clear bra my cars and keep them on battery maintainers because I don't like rock chipped paint or hassles starting them.

Not because I'm trying to save the battery or paint for the next owner.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:10 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by badabing
I clear bra my cars and keep them on battery maintainers because I don't like rock chipped paint or hassles starting them.

Not because I'm trying to save the battery or paint for the next owner.
I have owned cars for 40 years and never did anything special and they kept running and running with just routine maintenance. I have had three Honda Accords (152,000 miles/12 years, 357,000/12 years and current car 90,000/6.5 years). What is it about Porsches that require some much extra attention....
Never had a battery tender and never needed it in all my years of car ownership....
Old 04-15-2017, 06:49 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch2018
I have owned cars for 40 years and never did anything special and they kept running and running with just routine maintenance. I have had three Honda Accords (152,000 miles/12 years, 357,000/12 years and current car 90,000/6.5 years). What is it about Porsches that require some much extra attention....
Never had a battery tender and never needed it in all my years of car ownership....
Not daily drivers and stored for months in the off season. That requires batt tender. My daily drivers do not.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by badabing
Not daily drivers and stored for months in the off season. That requires batt tender. My daily drivers do not.
I intend to drive it often....and I live in central Texas so weather is not a factor. I also have decided to not to do the clear bra....can accept the inevitable chips and scratches. Though, I am interested in having the TechArt wing II added...looks real cool.

Quick Reply: How many km/ miles are too many for a 2011 987.2?