Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Cayman S stuck in "sleep mode"

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 12:44 PM
FoxFX
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Cayman S stuck in "sleep mode"

After taking a week vacation and not driving the car it has become stuck in sleep mode. I have started the car and driven it around but the key fob buttons still do nothing. I believe I have ruled out the fob battery as the neither trunk will open from the buttons inside the car until the key is inserted. Anyone have any idea how to force the car out of sleep mode?
Old 12-30-2016, 02:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

After 5 days the car's security system will no longer respond to the key fob's buttons, but my experience with my cars (2002 Boxster, 2003 Turbo) is after I open the door with the key and use the key to start the engine (within say 10 seconds or the alarm will sound) afterwards the key fob buttons work just fine.

In your case I'm not sure what the proper term is of the symptom/problem but inserting the key into the door lock and turning the lock twice -- I forget in which direction -- is reportedly the way to once again let the car's security system recognize/react to the key's buttons.

I haven't bothered to check either of my car's owners manuals for this procedure or for another procedure though I tried this once under I forget the exact circumstances and it worked.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:43 PM
FoxFX
3rd Gear

I just tried the turning the door lock twice both directions and got nothing. Owners manual says to start the car and hold the lock/unlock button for 5 seconds, but this doesn't do anything either.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by FoxFX
I just tried the turning the door lock twice both directions and got nothing. Owners manual says to start the car and hold the lock/unlock button for 5 seconds, but this doesn't do anything either.
If you did what the owners manual said to do and did it correctly and it didn't help then possibly the car the car's security system/electronics is in a goofy state that I'm not familiar with.

Since both keys are behaving the same I'm thinking it is not a key issue but someting with the car, the car's security system, electronics.

Give the car the big red switch "fix". Power cycle the entire car's electrical system by disconnecting the battery for a while. (Or if you prefer consult the fuse box lid's chart and remove fuses. If you go this route take notes where you remove the fuses from so you can put them back in the right place.

If you go the battery disconnect route be sure you follow the owner manual instructions on disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Get this wrong and you can go from the frying pan into the fire.

If you want to attemp to "fix" this at the key level doing one key at a time separate the key module halves and remove the coin battery and install it the opposite way. No need to leave it this way for more than a moment or so. Then remove the battery and install it the right way and carefully put the key module halves back together again and see if this fixes the problem. If it does then do the other key.

Might add before you do this battery flip thing read the owners manual to see if there is any caution about doing this. While it was ok for earlier MY's it may no longer be recommended.

If the above doesn't help, or even before you try it, consider paying a visit to your local dealer and ask if the service department for advice. I have a pretty good relationship with my local dealer's service department and when I come in with a problem if the SM can't help, or even if he can, he sends me to a senior tech for a face to face. (Was just in the dealer yesterday discussing a window drop problem with my 996 Turbo and the SM sent me back to talk to the senior tech.)

If you can get access to the tech he might offer some quick and easy solution. (If he does, and even if it doesn't help, show up a day or two later with a couple of boxes of donuts as a thank you for his time/trouble. There may be a next time and your access will be much more likely granted.)
Old 12-31-2016, 09:50 PM
FoxFX
3rd Gear

I am going to scour the owners manual for information on disconnecting the battery. I have heard horror stories about people doing that and all kinds of problems have appeared after. I am extremely hesitant because obviously the car is 100% drive-able, its just a constant annoyance to not have the remote features especially for accessing the trunk. Last thing I want is to turn it into a brick and have to flatbed it to a service center.

Unfortunately I live in Enid Oklahoma and the nearest service center is 2 hours away. I may drive the car to the city before disconnecting the battery so I don't pay a fortune for the tow if that ends up happening.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:25 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That happened on the Mercedes, and I don't recall exactly what I did to get it to work again. It was one of those times when you go into deep meditation with your Google skilz and then don't remember how you did it.

I did another quick search and came up with this:

Lock the door first with the "lock" button inside the car.

Manual Programming

1) Unlock the door to your car using the key blade

2) Insert your old key blade into the ignition and turn it to the "on" position, but do not start the car.

3) Roll down your driver's side window

4) Step out of the car and insert your new key into the driver's door lock, now turn the key to the left and hold it in that position for 10 seconds.

5) Now press the lock button on the FOB

6) Now press the unlock button on the FOB

Quick Reply: 2007 Cayman S stuck in "sleep mode"