Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche: 2014 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 08:25 PM
ghartke
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Porsche: 2014 Cayman S

Hey, gang,

A buddy of mine at work who owns a GT3 kept nagging me 'til I eventually started AXing my 2012 Cooper S with the two PCA chapters I'm blessed to live near. Had a blast and even managed to embarrass a fair number of Porsches when the Pilot Super Sports were new. After about a year and a half of that, I started to think that what I really needed was something faster so I could really compete.

Naturally Scott kept nagging me and in March of this year, I bought a 2014 Cayman S (a CPO car) with 6800 miles on the clock. The dealer gave me what I think is a very fair deal on the car (they were a pleasure to work with) and you can betcha dupa I never regretted it. I always thought the Cooper was a fun car to drive (and it is, in its niche; I still have it), but compared to the Cayman it's like driving an SUV.

This car is a manual transmission model with PASM and 20" Sport Techno wheels. The Sport Techno wheels look great and are so easy to clean that it's a sin. The car came with Pzeros, which I don't especially like. Interestingly, the tire sizes were 255-35ZR20 and 285-35ZR20, which certainly puts a lot of rubber on the road. After I got used to the car (it's a bit different than the Cooper...), I was doing pretty decently in my class (S3 at PCA events) 'til the tires went south. Oh, well. New rubber next year, most likely Bridgestone RE71Rs. That will certainly be interesting.

I don't drive the car every day, but do drive it to work approx 3 days per week (30 miles one-way). The commute is mostly highway miles and the Cayman is a true pleasure to drive. I'll save myself the expense of winter tires and wheels and just drive the Cooper to work during the winter, though I'll take the Cayman out for some exercise on weekends when the weather is decent. Looks as if I'll be doing something like 11k to 12k miles per year on this car.

The car is a poster child at the PCA events because in Racing Yellow, it really stands out. (See below.) It doesn't hurt that I always wash it before taking it out to race. Gotta look good when you have a car like this, right?

Funny story: After buying the Cayman, I splurged and bought two full sets of magnetic racing numbers. Imagine my consternation when I went to my first race and found they wouldn't stick to the doors. Welcome to the wonderful world of aluminum. D'oh! It took me a couple of races, but I eventually figured out I could mount them aft of the doors.

If any of you are thinking about trying AX, hook up with your local PCA chapter. Believe me, you won't regret it!

Regards,

Greg
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2016, 12:49 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice pickup! Sport techno wheels are my favorite. You will like the grip the re71r tires offer.

Glad you are using it for fun! Take it to the track also. 981s I track with are very fast, even in stock form.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:24 PM
pulpz
Intermediate

Congrats....

I just picked up a 2016 (New) Cayman GTS myself over the weekend. I wanted a 6spd and these days if you want a new 981 ...beggars cant be choosers. So took the only one I could find.

The SportTechno wheels wouldn't have been my first choice but in retrospect I love 'em. They have the classic Porsche look and you're exactly correct - super easy to clean. Easy to get your hand inside and wipe down the inner sides and the brake calipers.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2017, 01:45 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats to u both, enjoy in good health!
Old 02-07-2017, 01:58 PM
rellim
Advanced

Originally Posted by pulpz
Congrats....

I just picked up a 2016 (New) Cayman GTS myself over the weekend. I wanted a 6spd and these days if you want a new 981 ...beggars cant be choosers. So took the only one I could find.

The SportTechno wheels wouldn't have been my first choice but in retrospect I love 'em. They have the classic Porsche look and you're exactly correct - super easy to clean. Easy to get your hand inside and wipe down the inner sides and the brake calipers.
Nice , now sign up for some fun 10 / 10ths Motorsports
http://www.1010thsmotorsports.com/page/page/5236308.htm

and US Race Gear for safety gear.
http://www.usracegear.com/

Both close by.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:47 PM
ghartke
Track Day

Wo-o-o-ow. Ain't that purty? A GTS... What a pick up! And I wasn't kidding, either; it really is gorgeous. I certainly hope you have as much fun with yours as I've had with mine. I confess that I'm now thinking about tracking it in stock form, too. Does the madness ever end??? Let's hope not.

Regards,

Greg
Old 02-08-2017, 10:57 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Originally Posted by pulpz
Congrats.... I just picked up a 2016 (New) Cayman GTS myself over the weekend. I wanted a 6spd and these days if you want a new 981 ...beggars cant be choosers. So took the only one I could find. The SportTechno wheels wouldn't have been my first choice but in retrospect I love 'em. They have the classic Porsche look and you're exactly correct - super easy to clean. Easy to get your hand inside and wipe down the inner sides and the brake calipers.
And the sport technos are .5 inch wider too. Bonus!

Quick Reply: First Porsche: 2014 Cayman S