Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ST Suspensions ST X Coilover Kit - anyone used on 987.2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 11:36 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts
Default ST Suspensions ST X Coilover Kit - anyone used on 987.2?

I came across these coilovers while looking into lowering my ride. I was wondering if anyone has them on their Porsche and what your opinion is?
Old 11-17-2016, 01:20 AM
AustinSedz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ST coilovers are a sub-brand of KW and their setups are simply KW V1 coilovers without the stainless steel bodies.
Made in the same factories by the same technicians.

I have KW V1's on my 987.2 which is essentially the same coilovers.
I am very pleased with them for street use.

I would only get the ST's if you live somewhere where rust is not a concern, and I would consider spraying them with a rust inhibitor on an annual basis.

I.M.O for the effort, it's worth simply spending the little bit extra for the KW's
Old 11-17-2016, 11:04 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

How do you find street ride quality vs stock suspension? I am planning to track my car occasionally but will be mainly driving in the city. Rust is a concern here in Toronto.
Also, did you install the coilovers yourself? I am getting quotes in the 1K range for installation
Old 11-17-2016, 09:28 PM
AustinSedz
Intermediate

I would say that compared to other cars I have ridden in and owned with coilovers, the kw's are very compliant on the road.

I would not say the V1's are track-optimized, as they would probably require faster rebound and a stiffer springrate, but for the road and occasional DE I find them very fitting.

I did switch from 18" to 19" wheels with wider tires at the same time I installed the coilovers, so I can not speak entirely exclusively about the coilovers, but I would say that the overall road feel is almost identical to stock despite lowering by over 1.5".

You only notice the lost suspension travel from lowering when going over large bumps, but then again, the cayman was never really made to be smooth over those to begin with.

I had the standard non-pasm suspension before I installed the KW's

Also, hello from Burlington
Old 11-23-2016, 10:48 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info! Where did you buy yours from and where did you get them installed? I am hoping for a Black Friday sale somewhere ...
Old 11-23-2016, 11:03 AM
AustinSedz
Intermediate

I bought my KW's from http://www.tdotperformance.ca to avoid duty, and they seemed to have the best price at the time.
They will most definitely have a Black Friday promo going on.

I installed them along with Elephant Racing camber plates in the front, and will be adding Elephant Racing rear toe arms next spring. If you are considering going low, the rear arms are a must to combat excessive camber while keeping your toe in spec.

I installed everything myself and had my alignment done at Mantis in Oakville (I recommend them for any work you need done to your P-Car, they know their Caymans).

Quick Reply: ST Suspensions ST X Coilover Kit - anyone used on 987.2?