Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ring & Pinion noise in tranny - Cayman S 2006

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 05:47 PM
jebbach911
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ring & Pinion noise in tranny - Cayman S 2006

Fellow Porschephiles, I would like to know if anyone else has experienced a R & P type noise from their trans. Mine started about 4 months ago after a few track days and has gotten progressively loader. I've only had the car about 7 months and it has had some extensive mods done to it which obviously would put more wear/torque on the stock tranny. It has a motor swap to a 3.8 997 A91 DFI engine and a stage 2 TPC turbo. It has also had a Quaife differential installed at a Porsche dealer. When the diff was installed, the dealership put Mobil1 75W90 gear lube in it. Since then, TPC Racing used Redline 75-90. When the noise started, I changed the lube to check for particles and used Redline 75-90. When this didn't change anything, I tried the Porsche gear oil which is where I'm at now.The car only has 34000 miles and only 14000 since the diff has been changed. My questions are: Should I contact the Porsche dealer that performed the diff swap to see if there is any guarantee on their work? Or should I just bite the bullet and pull the tranny myself and pull the cover to see if there is anything obvious wrong with the R & P? The noise is not a constant noise like a bearing would make, it is only on accel and decell that it makes the noise.
Also, quick question: Can the tranny be pulled on a Cayman without removing the engine, it sure looks like it could.

Thanks in advance!!!

Quick Reply: Ring & Pinion noise in tranny - Cayman S 2006