Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Cayman S making a high pitched noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 02:00 AM
acf
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2009 Cayman S making a high pitched noise

Hi Cayman Experts,

I'm posting this for a friend who recently acquired a 2009 Cayman S, PDK, 54k miles.

He's had it for a couple months now and it's been driving fine, but recently it started making a new high pitched noise. He took a video of the noise.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jfq89e917...Phone.m4v?dl=0

Does anyone know what this may be?

Last edited by acf; 10-27-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:56 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by acf
Hi Cayman Experts,

I'm posting this for a friend who recently acquired a 2009 Cayman S, PDK, 54k miles.

He's had it for a couple months now and it's been driving fine, but recently it started making a new high pitched noise. He took a video of the noise.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jfq89e917...Phone.m4v?dl=0

Does anyone know what this may be?
I hear no high pitched noise when listening to the clip.

I can offer only this: The only time I have heard a high pitched noise -- a chirp -- from my 996 Turbo -- it was an idler roller bearing making the noise.

From my Boxster, the only time I have heard a noise, in this case a low pitched rumbling noise that became more apparent as the cold engine idled, the noise proved to be a water pump.

If the high pitched noise is present at cold engine start one can remove the serpentine belt but not before carefully noting -- take pics or draw a diagram of -- its routing and note its direction of rotation so the belt can be reinstalled exactly as it was before then start the engine and let it idle only long enough to confirm the noise is present or absent.

If the noise is present with the belt removed then the noise is not coming from the accessory drive system: belt, idler/tensioner bearings, water pump or one of the other accessories like A/C compressore or power steering pump.

Install the belt and get the car to a qualified shop for proper diagnosis of the noise.

If the noise is not present with the belt removed then the noise is coming from something associated with the accessory drive system. Install the belt and get the shop to a qualified shop for proper diagnosis.

Might add if the belt has one (or both) sharp edges this is a sign the belt is rubbing and this arises because an accessory drive has developed bearing play and almost certainly the accessory drive with the play is the source of the noise.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:52 AM
acf
Racer

Thanks for the reply. My friend said he's going to take the car to the mechanic on monday, so I'll post an update when I get word.

Tbh, I can't hear it either (He's crazy lol).
Old 10-31-2016, 12:44 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll let you know what we find....

Cheers
Old 10-31-2016, 09:17 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Small leak on the vacuum valve that controls coolant flow to the transmission cooler. A 928 heater valve essentially.

Cheers
Old 11-01-2016, 01:10 PM
acf
Racer

Wow nice find. Thanks for the info!

I knew my friend wasn't hearing things

Originally Posted by altonj
Small leak on the vacuum valve that controls coolant flow to the transmission cooler. A 928 heater valve essentially.

Cheers

Quick Reply: 2009 Cayman S making a high pitched noise