Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Carbon Fiber GT4 Side Scoops installed (DIY & pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 03:34 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber GT4 Side Scoops installed (DIY & pics)

I’ve been very keen to pick up a set of GT4 scoops ever since they became available but was always reluctant to take the dive because I didn’t want to drill into my rocker panels for the install. After seeing threads on other "planets" it appeared there was a safe alternative install method to the OEM approach which didn’t require permanently altering the car.

I believe the OEM scoops come with new black frames onto which you screw the scoops. The top and bottom edges of the scoops are then screwed into the rocker panel. The idea arose (again see the linked thread) that if one could affix the scoops to the OEM black frame and use 3M heavy duty adhesive for the top and bottom edges, rather than screws, the scoops would be held in securely. Since the scoop is permanently fixed to the black frame which is then snapped back into its place and the edges of the scoops are attached to the body via heavy duty 3M tape, the hold is seemingly very strong. I can attest to their strength after driving the car multiple times this week at highway speeds for 30 min+ intervals. At various times I would check on the scoops to make sure they weren’t shaking or shuddering at speed and they were rock solid. They key is to make sure the scoop is secured strongly to the black frame and that the black frame is completely snapped back into place. One also needs to make sure the top and bottom edges are making full contact with the body to ensure proper adhesion from the 3M tape. My install went smoothly and is holding very nicely but I take no responsibility for others outcomes. Do this at your own peril. If the frame isn’t snapped into place properly or the scoop to frame connection isn’t solid or the edges aren’t fully adhered to the body, the scoop could easily fly off at speed. Having said that, it is fairly straight forward and I think the look is awesome.

Tools needed-3M heavy duty double sided tape, rivet tool & rivets, painter’s tape

1. Tape off areas surrounding the scoop as you’ll be test fitting the scoops a few times inevitably and you don’t want to scratch your paint.
2. Pop out the OEM black frame. Basically you just pull it right out.
3. Place some 3M tape on the outer edge of the black frame where it will make contact with the scoop (this is only temporary to set the proper placement of the scoop to the frame)
4. Loosely place the black frame back in its place. Get it back in as much as possible without fully snapping it in.
5. With the frame loosely in with the exposed 3M tape on, place the scoop in its proper position (check out the various pics to see the proper location-easy given the shape of the scoop follows the curve of the panel) pressing it against the tape on the frame while being careful to not snap the frame back in all the way.
6. With the two pieces (frame and scoop) now affixed together by the tape, remove the whole unit together carefully as to not allow either to separate or move from their proper positions.
7. With the scoop and frame still connected by the tape you will want to either screw or rivet the two pieces together at this point. I chose to rivet them together with pop/blind rivets. I used aluminum 1/8”x1/8” rivets and a simple rivet tool (about $10-$30 at any big box hardware store). Before riveting the two pieces together I drilled holes through both frame and scoop while they were still attached to one another. I then pulled the frame and scoop apart and reapplied a full strip of 3M tape between the scoop and frame, reattached them together (using the drilled holes now for alignment) and then put the rivets in with the rivet tool. At this point the frame and the scoop are fully connected to one another.
8. The top and bottom edges of the scoop will now need 3M tape applied to secure them to the rocker panel.
9. Back to the car-clean off any wax, residue, etc. to ensure a clean, strong adhesion with the tape
10. Peel away the backing of the tape on the top and bottom edges of the scoop and re-install the scoop/frame combo on the car snapping the frame FULLY in while also pressing the top and bottom edges of the scoop to the car.

That’s it. Make sure the frame is fully snapped in and follow the tape instructions to ensure proper, full adhesion.

My car is Amaranth Red with black accents (wheels, stripes, badges, tint) so I opted for carbon fiber scoops from Directcartoys. I would definitely recommend them. They were great to deal with, the price was right and they got the scoops out to me in a timely way, during a hurricane no less! The quality and fit of the pieces is great. It looks like they also offer painted and unpainted versions as well.

Pics to come
Old 10-15-2016, 03:36 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Pics
Attached Images                         
Old 03-26-2017, 06:50 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Bumping an old thread here but if anyone is interested I am selling this pre-fabbed scoop/base frame combo now that I have sold my 981. It's the carbon GT4 scoops/base frames riveted together all ready to go. Literally a 10 minute install with no drilling that is 100% reversible. Please see my FS thread here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...oops-more.html
Old 04-21-2017, 08:22 PM
Mib4840
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so no one thinks these are still for sale, and they missed the ad in the marketplace, I bought them today. Thanks 850tgul.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber GT4 Side Scoops installed (DIY & pics)