Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1 Battery Replacement and Airbag Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 02:28 AM
jlrosen
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 987.1 Battery Replacement and Airbag Light

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a 2008 Cayman S. The PPI uncovered a few issues, but nothing that prevented me from proceeding with the purchase.

One of the issues was that the wrong battery was installed and because it was too big, the battery clamp was missing. I obtained the correct battery and clamp, but before installing it, I wanted to research the process. With stories of radio codes and other problems that required a trip to the dealer after a simple battery replacement, it seemed that the correct procedure was to maintain power while swapping the battery.

I had an inexpensive trickle charger, so I hooked it up to the cigarette lighter while I swapped batteries. After replacement I had the airbag warning light. I had also purchased a Durametric cable when I was looking for cars to purchase, so I was able to hook it up and see that the code I was getting was 8055 AWS-LIN "no communication". Researching this code, it looked like I might need that trip to the Porsche dealer to calibrate the AWS. I also came across some posts that claimed no problems replacing batteries without maintaining power and others that claimed disconnecting the battery cleared the airbag light. With nothing to lose at this point, I decided to try disconnecting the battery. To my relief it cleared the airbag light.

My goal in posting this is simply to confirm that on the 987.1s there is no need to maintain power during a battery swap. In addition, trying to maintain power with a source that is not up to the task can actually do more harm than good. In retrospect, I believe the trickle charger I used suffered a brown-out and caused at least one of the microprocessors in the car's systems to locked up. Disconnecting the battery caused all the processors to "re-boot". There are no radio codes (at least on my CDR-24) and while there are some side effects (DME needs to re-learn some parameters and emissions ready indicators are reset), it is completely safe to just disconnect the old battery and install the new one. If you do want to maintain power during the swap, make sure you use a source that can handle the load - my trickle charger cannot. I hope this helps those, that like me, are still getting to know their cars...
The following users liked this post:
voodu3 (07-26-2023)
Old 07-21-2020, 07:11 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Thanks for posting this. With the above info in hand, I fearlessly swapped out my 9-year-old battery today, for a shiny new AGM version in same exact size. Followed owners manual resets for PSM and window positions... done and dusted. Even the memory seat settings on the respective keys were completely retained. Happy I am.

Costco / Interstate battery I fitted (scroll down for AGM version): https://costco.interstatebatteries.c...398&Country=US

Cheers!

Dave
Old 07-21-2020, 11:42 PM
jlrosen
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it helpful Dave. I have since had the battery disconnected many times with no issues.
Old 07-24-2023, 06:45 PM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Replaced the battery in my 07 Cayman in 2014 and don't recall any issues. Today I replaced it and got a PSM alert and the airbag warning light. Disconnected/reconnected the battery hoping that would clear both, but it did not. Hooked up the Durametric and cleared the fault codes. PSM alert is now gone but airbag warning persists. Maybe it will eventually go away? I dunno.
Old 07-24-2023, 11:22 PM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 92 Posts

Airbag light can be cleared with the Durametric.
Old 07-25-2023, 08:27 AM
danschy
Instructor

Yeah, I did, but airbag light is still lit. Guess I could try again. At least the PSM alert did not return.
Old 07-27-2023, 02:02 PM
danschy
Instructor

And today the airbag warning light was no longer lit, so for some reason it took a couple days to clear.

Quick Reply: 987.1 Battery Replacement and Airbag Light