Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Input Soon: Cayman S Windshield Defects Reported

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 01:54 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Input Soon: Cayman S Windshield Defects Reported

When I picked up my 2015 Cayman S in May 2016 (had 40 miles on it and was "left over" from delivery date to dealer of December, 2015) from dealer my wife noticed right away on one of our first trips what appeared to be scratches on windshield when sun hit at oblique angle. I thought just dirty windshield but several attempts to "clean" windshield did not help. Finally took back to dealer and several people there confirmed they could not "feel" scratches on outside or inside of windshield and even very fine rubbing compound would not clear marks. We are concluding these marks are between layers of windshield (i.e. PBT or other materials are used to bond windshield together). Area of "scratches" cover an area about 8 inches by 6 inches and only on right (passenger) quadrant of windshield. The pattern of scratches is random cross hatching and not like you would see if something rubbed on windshield or wipers run on dry windshield.

Dealer is checking if covered by warranty (i.e.replace windshield). I anticipate Porsche may say this is normal and not really a problem, but to me it is a distraction when driving in sunlight and is a manufacturing defect.

So I need input from others if they have seen things like this and what outcome was (i.e. did windshield get replaced or did Porsche say it was just normal)?? Any recalls or " service bulletins" on this issue??

Thank you, Dennis
Old 05-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 471 Posts

Oops wrong thread

Quick Reply: Need Input Soon: Cayman S Windshield Defects Reported