Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Howdy! On the hunt for a 981 S

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 02:51 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Howdy! On the hunt for a 981 S

Hey there, from Puddle Town.

Been lurking here and there for some time. Recently, with a fervent desire for a 981 S or a 996TT, I thought I'd jump in, look around, glean as much as I can and see if I can't find me my first P Car.

My favorite memory of P Cars was in '96 or '97 when my father owned a 1980 911 Turbo Targa SC (I think?) and had me drop him off. I remember rocketing down the interstate in 2nd gear at 90 mph with that unmistakable, air-cooled turbo wailing away behind me. I managed to avoid arrest and that memory is seared into my brain for all time.

My other passion are my Ducatis, of which there are three in the garage. I like to go fast.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:58 PM
martyp
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome! And enjoy the search - it's addicting
Old 09-30-2016, 07:15 PM
Georound
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, lots of information here. Many of us have or had Ducatis as well.
Do you want roadster or a very small backseat? 996tt will likely have depreciated to or near their bottom.
Really enjoy my 981S Boxster. Don't think I would trade. They can be had in the mid 40s to low 50s pretty easily. This gen is very reliable....no issues for me up to 48k miles.
Consider the PDK transmission and definitely get the Porsche Sport Exhaust and Sport steering wheel. Cooled seats have become a favorite option of mine as well. Added stiffer sway bars pretty early on...
Old 10-01-2016, 05:06 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by Georound
Yep, lots of information here. Many of us have or had Ducatis as well.
Do you want roadster or a very small backseat? 996tt will likely have depreciated to or near their bottom.
Really enjoy my 981S Boxster. Don't think I would trade. They can be had in the mid 40s to low 50s pretty easily. This gen is very reliable....no issues for me up to 48k miles.
Consider the PDK transmission and definitely get the Porsche Sport Exhaust and Sport steering wheel. Cooled seats have become a favorite option of mine as well. Added stiffer sway bars pretty early on...
Both, really. I'm attracted to the 981 for the mid-engine and the looks. I like the 911 and the 996, specifically, for the cache and for the value. Either call will be a driver and may see some track time, though I have a Ducati dedicated for such things and would be hard pressed to give that up.

The seats aren't so much an issue as it's just the wife and I. There's that old adage about insurance and the backseat, though I haven't confirmed that with my carrier.

I will admit to wanting a sunroof. The 911 has that and I don't think the 981 has one. There's something about an open roof while blazing down a country road. Unlike many purists, I appreciate and would like a P Car with PDK. I remember driving an Audi way back when with their version of a flappy paddle gear box and it was intoxicating. I'm all for using technology to go faster.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:35 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
Both, really. I'm attracted to the 981 for the mid-engine and the looks. I like the 911 and the 996, specifically, for the cache and for the value. Either call will be a driver and may see some track time, though I have a Ducati dedicated for such things and would be hard pressed to give that up.

The seats aren't so much an issue as it's just the wife and I. There's that old adage about insurance and the backseat, though I haven't confirmed that with my carrier.

I will admit to wanting a sunroof. The 911 has that and I don't think the 981 has one. There's something about an open roof while blazing down a country road. Unlike many purists, I appreciate and would like a P Car with PDK. I remember driving an Audi way back when with their version of a flappy paddle gear box and it was intoxicating. I'm all for using technology to go faster.
Sure it does - it has a UUUGGGEEE sunroof in something called a Boxster.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmh981
Sure it does - it has a UUUGGGEEE sunroof in something called a Boxster.
Haha! I was waiting for that. Living in the PNWet, I'm not sure I'd get to enjoy the top down awesomeness that a Boxster provides. Besides, I have a garage full of Ducatis when I want to enjoy open air motoring.

Quick Reply: Howdy! On the hunt for a 981 S