Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing the Cayman, some thoughts;

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:48 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 400 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Washing the Cayman, some thoughts;

It seems like the earlier Porsches like the 944s were easier to wash. Get it clean, dry it off and drive the brakes dry and you were finished.
The mid engine jobbies, not so simple seems like you can dry it all you can but you still have water drops coming out of all the airscoops, valances, door jambs, windshield join areas, etc.
I have gotten to the point where it is easier to give it a quick wipe down then go drive it to dry out the brakes and at the same time blow all the water off.... When I get home a quick once around wipe will finish it off. Actually seems to take less time to finish up this way.
I was curious if any other Cayman / Boxster fans found this to be true.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:50 PM
BobKid
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I blow the water off with my leaf blower before final wipe. Does a good job of getting rid of runoff in the seams, intakes, etc.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:07 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Optima No Rinse it unless it's really dirty. Much easier and does a great job. Also, a nano coating makes all cleanup much easier.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:14 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Optima No Rinse it unless it's really dirty. Much easier and does a great job. Also, a nano coating makes all cleanup much easier.
any recommended nano product?
Old 09-08-2016, 09:12 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Optimum No Rinse and CQuartz coating ftw. If you must hose and bucket wash, an electric leaf blower is a must have for drying.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:07 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

I use the old fashioned way - I huff and puff (thank goodness I gave up smoking years ago). Works well enough to get water out of the nooks and crannies. After drying I pull the car into the garage, wipe off any remaining drips and let it dry overnight. Job well done.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
any recommended nano product?
OptiCoat Pro Plus, CQuartz, Modesta. All good, though some work better on certain colors than others. Key is to find a good detailer that can do proper paint correction first and is familiar with all the products, so you can get an unbiased opinion from them about what's best for your car. Note, all of them are really good, so you can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:09 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Get a Master Blaster.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:41 PM
PolishedDetail
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Master Blaster

I'm going to +1 on getting a master blaster. We use it in our shop everyday. It uses hot air to help dry while blowing water out.

Also +1 on Ceramic Coating your car. But, it is going to have zero effect on getting water out of the cracks of your car. It's just easier to maintain and clean (besides all the chemical resistant qualities). We only sell Ceramic Pro Protective Coatings at our shop. But, that is my personal preference. You cannot go wrong with ceramic coatings in general. Do lots of research and talk to a few different professional detailers that sell different brands. Make an educated decision based on your exact needs. Don't just buy a coating because an installer says it's the best. Trust me, everyone always thinks that what they bought or are selling is the best haha
Old 09-08-2016, 03:23 PM
BobKid
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PolishedDetail
Also +1 on Ceramic Coating your car.

How well do those coatings work over Xpel Ultimate?
Old 09-08-2016, 06:17 PM
dennisafrompa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I run mine through a car wash and done with it. Maybe that's because it has almost 100K miles on it with lots of stone chips. It's also driven in rain, sleet and snow.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:30 PM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coating ove Xpel

Originally Posted by BobKid
They work great over Xpel, get the rock chip protection and the ease of maintenance afforded by a coating.

HUMP
Old 09-17-2016, 12:02 AM
BLKG8TR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wash it. Dry It. Run it down the driveway and dry the rotors. Back up the hill and dry off any water spots. Enjoy..... OBTW, a good coat of your favorite wax (Klasse All-In-One, in my case), on a regular basis, makes it a quicker and easier job.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:08 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Get a Master Blaster.
Been using it for years. Works great.

Originally Posted by BobKid
We have Opticoat over Xpel. Makes a BIG difference. We've found that some detail sprays/waxes attract dirt. Opticoat not only is easier to wash but seems to stay cleaner longer by not attracting dirt to the finish. Especially noticeable on the yellow car which shows every spec of road grime the moment it's clean.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisafrompa
I run mine through a car wash and done with it. Maybe that's because it has almost 100K miles on it with lots of stone chips. It's also driven in rain, sleet and snow.
I wouldn't drive my mother-in-law's Jeep through an auto wash! Different strokes I guess.

I wash mine the old fashioned way if really dirty, then a quick drive for rotors and crevices. Come back and spot dry any areas leftover.
If it isn't actually Dirty...fresh microfibers and some quick detailed spray. Turns the towel often and use several of them.

Quick Reply: Washing the Cayman, some thoughts;