Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on "Cheap Cayman S w/ bad IMS bearing for sale"

Old 09-01-2016, 08:41 PM
edq882
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on "Cheap Cayman S w/ bad IMS bearing for sale"

Well, yes, I took a big hit on the sale of this car, 2006 S w/ 70,200 miles. The old ads might still be available in the Classified forum. The car was sold to a buyer in Texas, pending the PPI. But, magnetic metal particles in the oil filter was a deal breaker. Sold the car to a mechanic at Autowerkes, which was my go-to for Porsches for some time. Now, the motor is out of the car, the case has been split, and inspection has begun. I was invited to look at the rebuilding process; I rotated the IMSB, and felt the roughness in motion, and verified its degradation. So far, the IMSB will be replaced, along with the main bearings, which show obvious signs of wear. It's SOP to replace the timing chain on a rebuild. I hope the rebuild is not too costly, and that the new owner comes out OK - it's a very nice 2006.

I intend to post updates, since this might be of interest to owners with the M97 engine. Cheers, Ed
Old 09-02-2016, 11:17 AM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This was a painful story to watch unfold.

As the owner of a 2006 with 25,000 miles, I am especially interested and concerned. I am doing everything in my power to keep the IMSB lubricated and monitored. No drag racing starts, proper synthetic oil changes, filter and oil analysis, LNE spin-on oil filter and magnets, etc.

Sorry that you took such a bath. Hopefully your next investment will pay off better.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:48 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, post updates please.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:40 PM
Sapientoni
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I could have save you tons of money

If it was ONLY the IMSB I could have saved you tons of money, and loss of time, but as always there should be some other things to check. One is leak down. The 148,000 mile engine I rebuilt before I constructed my IMSB tooling had almost indetectable leakdown. The crank shaft thrust was so tight, we almost had to open it up to give it more clearance. It was at the minimum acceptable thrust for a new engine. I couldn't believe it (manual trans).

Best of luck on the rebuild.

RE: BoulderGeek, read my posts regarding IMSB care and drive long and prosper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update on "Cheap Cayman S w/ bad IMS bearing for sale"