Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche wave!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 07:07 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Porsche wave!

I was driving down the highway in my 987 Cayman S with a dashcam and a 981 Cayman came along side and gave a big wave. I didn't catch the wave on camera, but it was really nice to see the wave from a fellow Cayman owner. I don't see it that often, but I really appreciate it.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:30 PM
maplefrm
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I understand your feelings about the wave, I often wave at fellow Porsche drivers and seldom get a wave back. Oh well at least I tried to be friendly.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:58 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 472 Likes on 320 Posts

I always wave to Porsche "sports cars". About 90% of Caymans & Boxters return the wave. Sometimes they initiate it! The response rate of 911s is only about 50-60%. I guess my Cayman is to down-market for them.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:10 AM
maplefrm
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

When I was about 7 years old my parents bought their first sports car, a '53 MG TD, followed by '58 Austin Healy then '60 Jag sedan and finally to MB's. They belonged to the Central Illinois 4 Cylinder Club in the mid/late 1950's and I remember that the lower price car waved first and then the wave was returned. The Triumph waved at the MG who waved at the AH then onto the Jag and MB's The sports car people were all friendly back then, but I was a child and I think this is what I remember.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:07 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Used to be, that Porsche owners would flash the high beams at each other when passing. I still do this sometimes.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:08 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

In the daytime I will give a quick flash of my high beams to an oncoming Porsche sports car.
This is rarely returned but often the driver will wave back as we pass by.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:58 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maplefrm
When I was about 7 years old my parents bought their first sports car, a '53 MG TD, followed by '58 Austin Healy then '60 Jag sedan and finally to MB's. They belonged to the Central Illinois 4 Cylinder Club in the mid/late 1950's and I remember that the lower price car waved first and then the wave was returned. The Triumph waved at the MG who waved at the AH then onto the Jag and MB's The sports car people were all friendly back then, but I was a child and I think this is what I remember.
In 1964 while a student at Washington State U in Pullman I got my first "own" car; a 1957 MGA after reading Competition Press and Road & Track for several years. I was smitten by sports cars and there was a unique feeling shared by sports car drivers with waves galore when seeing another sports car on highway--including flashing headlights and even waving windshield wipers. Could also be that sports cars were rare in the Palouse region. However as maplefrm notes, I learned there was a sort of etiquette and hierarchy involved based on price and origin of car. MG's always waved to each other, MG and Triumph generally waved but there was rivalry between brands and all British cars often waved--Jaguar returning MG wave. However I distinctly recall Porsche drivers were quite aloof and rarely waved.

I recently bought a 2015 Cayman S and sometimes get returned waves or flashing lights from other Cayman drivers. However the most recognition comes from teenage or younger boys walking or biking and giving big waves and thumbs up--they appreciate a big blip on throttle acknowledgement (I also got this notice from boys when WRX was new to market and kids gave big waves when I drove by--maybe it was big in video games at the time?).
Old 08-23-2016, 01:27 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The other day I saw a Porsche 944 driving towards me in a parking lot. I was all set to do the Porsche wave, but then he did it first. It was really nice to get the wave from a new Cayman and an older 944 within a week or so.

Quick Reply: Porsche wave!