Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman vs. 911 - Hard to Decide

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 02:31 PM
Hemisedan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bizzaam
Correction, the clear bra is for a FEE. I think for a Cayman it is around $2000 for the entire vehicle, installed. Those guys I mentioned are at Southpoint Porsche in Durham, NC. I attached a few links in my last reply but they didn't show up.

https://southpoint.porschedealer.com/about_us/team.php
https://www.porschedriving.com/centers/Atlanta
That now, sounds a bit high, but for a whole car maybe not. I was quoted $125 for the entire front end for my m235i, that included the mirrors and door edges. I passed this time. The biggest deal with doing Expel, or 3M is the installer, not necessarily the product. When applied properly, it's hardly noticeable, which is the way it was on my first MINI JCW.

I read on your guys at Southpoint, sounds like a good place. Doable, I think. Still too bad that they are so far away from Iowa, but that's life.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:37 AM
Hemisedan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I meant $1250. not $125 for the clear bra front end.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:51 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

I own a 987 CaymanS with the six-speed manual and a 2009 911 C4S with PDK. The cars are very different in every way: they drive different, they ride different, they accelerate different, they even smell different.
Now I am the first to admit that the current or more recent Caymans are at least two steps further along in power, speed and comfort. But then so are the more recent 911s. But I love the 987S and the way it is one of the greatest driving cars ever built. Hydraulic steering, relatively lightweight although it is a bit underpowered on the track. My only real problem with it is my wife so loves it that I rarely get the keys. Which is OK as the 911 C4S is a real beast for power, traction and comfort compared to the 987. I did drive a 2014 Cayman S at the Porsche Excellence Experience in Atlanta and it was clearly more powerful and comfortable than the 987, but handled differently although it was still incredibly maneuverable.
So my point to this babble is you will need to drive both cars a lot. Spend as many hours in each car as you can. Find fellow Pdrivers and clubs and ask a lot of questions. I would be shocked if some drivers didn't let you drive their vehicle.
One other point, there is no wrong car. Both are great and you will be absolutely engaged in the driving of the car whichever model and transmission you choose :-)

Quick Reply: Cayman vs. 911 - Hard to Decide