Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman or 911????

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:57 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when you ask a first time buyer how they are going to use the car and get "week-end toy" more than not it usually means "i just want to have a po in my garage to show off" .nothing wrong with that ,it is their money so i say get a gen 2 base cay. if they go into a little more detail i say get an s .now if they say they wanna beat up on ALL the cars in their neighborhood for much less money i tell them to get a corvette. if he just wanted to drive a car [and sleep with it] i would tell him to buy a tinkerbell honda
Old 05-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I have a 981 Cayman S and a 991 Carrera S, both with the sport suspension (X73 and SPASM/PDCC). Both are great cars, but very different driving experiences. Which is 'better' depends on what you intend to do with it and what you prefer in a driving experience, so it's hard to really get much out of other people's opinions on the topic.

The only thing that makes me chuckle is when I hear my fellow Cayman owners say that the 981 platform handles better and or is easier to drive fast than the 991 Carrera. Both cars are awesome to drive, and the 981 definitely offers more of a go karty fun feel to it, but, make no mistake, a similarly suspended Carrera S stomps the Cayman S in terms of out-and-out performance, in every dimension. It is goes faster, stops better, corners better with higher entry speeds and comes off the corners much quicker. And the immense rear grip evokes more confidence.

I find myself grabbing the keys to the Cayman far more often for its go karty, fun factor, but if my life depended upon getting down a twisty road the fastest, I would definitely choose the Carrera. I also have a Spyder, which gets closer due to the 3.8 engine, but it still can't match the Carrera for pure performance. The Carrera chassis is simply epic.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:59 AM
CountCatula
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I have a 981 Cayman S and a 991 Carrera S, both with the sport suspension (X73 and SPASM/PDCC). Both are great cars, but very different driving experiences. Which is 'better' depends on what you intend to do with it and what you prefer in a driving experience, so it's hard to really get much out of other people's opinions on the topic.

The only thing that makes me chuckle is when I hear my fellow Cayman owners say that the 981 platform handles better and or is easier to drive fast than the 991 Carrera. Both cars are awesome to drive, and the 981 definitely offers more of a go karty fun feel to it, but, make no mistake, a similarly suspended Carrera S stomps the Cayman S in terms of out-and-out performance, in every dimension. It is goes faster, stops better, corners better with higher entry speeds and comes off the corners much quicker. And the immense rear grip evokes more confidence.

I find myself grabbing the keys to the Cayman far more often for its go karty, fun factor, but if my life depended upon getting down a twisty road the fastest, I would definitely choose the Carrera. I also have a Spyder, which gets closer due to the 3.8 engine, but it still can't match the Carrera for pure performance. The Carrera chassis is simply epic.
Thanks for this perspective. I've never driven any 911 and the Cayman was my dream car and now that I have one, the next dream is a 911 GTS some day.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

There's a great comparison video on YouTube between a base 991 Carrera with no performance options against a 981 Boxster S, on a short tight track that one would expect would favor the mid engine car. Not only did the base Carrera smoke it by over a second on a short, sub 1 minute lap time track, it did so with so much more composure. Watching the video, it's easy to see how much more refined the Carrera chassis is and how well it works.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:30 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Cayman has both a front AND rear trunk! How can anyone resist that?
Old 05-31-2016, 09:52 AM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a great comparison video on YouTube between a base 991 Carrera with no performance options against a 981 Boxster S, on a short tight track that one would expect would favor the mid engine car. Not only did the base Carrera smoke it by over a second on a short, sub 1 minute lap time track, it did so with so much more composure. Watching the video, it's easy to see how much more refined the Carrera chassis is and how well it works.
Power never hurts either - even on short tracks.

Like I explained before (and in a different thread) - they are two VERY different cars.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:43 AM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the same conundrum.

Had a 996. Got a C63. Want to get back in Porsche.

997.2 or Cayman S (2009-).

Both can be had in the $40's. I loved the 996 and have only driven a friend's '03 Boxster.

I need to find a new gen Cayman to get a taste.

TC
Old 05-31-2016, 01:46 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No disrespect intended towards Archimedes but two things to consider here:
1. the OP asked about a 997 vs. a 981. Archimedes is basing his perspective on a 991 vs. 981. The 997 and 991 are both 911s but very, very different from a chassis development and drivability perspective. A longer wheelbase, less rear biased engine, and a substantially more advanced chassis can and does make a big difference. I loved my 997.1 Carrera S but other than steering feel, it doesn't hold a candle to a 991.
2. Archimedes argument doesn't leave any room for personal preferences. For him, the 911 corners better but there are a lot of very good drivers out there that will disagree. The way the front loads up in a 911 is very different than a Cayman and some, but not all, prefer that. On the other hand, some, but not all, prefer the inherently better balance of the mid-engine Cayman

The only real answer to the OP's questions is again... drive them both. You won't go wrong either way (unless you need rear seats... then it's a no brainer). They're both great cars.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Agreed, I didn't realize he was talking 997 until after I posted my comment. Figured I'd just leave it up.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Seljan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my first CaymanS a few weeks ago. It's still under the 2000 mile break in period, but it's real clear this car wants to go fast. I've owned 911's and will always have a spot for one, but so far..I am really impressed with the Cayman.

Quick Reply: Cayman or 911????