Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Porsche Cayman (Used)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Jeremy Wight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UCTeeth
Haha, is there any reason you want the PDk or triptonic over the Manual transmission? I was having this debate before I jumped into my Cayman S, but I ended up with the Manual Transmission. I barely knew how to drive manual, you should have seen my test drive but know I feel much more confident with it and I am glad I went with Manual. The PDK is awesome though...also 32k seems steep for an 06
It's all personal opinion, but I also think Manual is the way to go. That's the _only_ thing I don't like about my Turbo. It's a Tiptronic. Wish it were a manual
Old 07-11-2016, 02:57 PM
Bizzaam
Intermediate

I want my future Cayman S to have PDK because:

1) I'm used to automatic. When I learned to drive manual, it was when I was stationed in England and it was a right hand drive car. Strangely enough, it was easier to go to a right hand drive car than it was to come back to the US and drive on the left side of the car.

2) I've driven the PDK and it was awesome. It's way more intuitive and better at shifting than I'll ever be.

3) I drive about 30 miles one way to work each day (mostly Interstate-540). Traffic is light going to work because I leave early enough. Traffic on the way home is mostly stop and go for 75% of my drive. I hate the stop and go in an automatic, I'm sure it's worse for a manual. Both of the local Porsche dealers in the Raleigh, NC area agree that for my commute a manual isn't the best choice.

4)When I buy, it will be my first Porsche/sports car and in a way I don't know what to expect. Up until now I've driven vehicles I really haven't necessarily been thrilled with. 1985 Ford Ranger (90's as a teen), 1994 Ranger (90's - 2001) I'm still not sure why my parents wanted me to have a truck, 1994 VW Vento (2002 - 2005), 2004 Jetta (2005-present).

The Jetta was cool for a few years but I'm alone in the car 99% of the time and I've entered a completely different financial state and chapter of my life in my post-military career. In my mind, a Cayman would be perfect since I don't travel out of town much and the maximum amount of people I usually transport is one other person.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:11 PM
MRThomas
AutoX

Originally Posted by Bizzaam
I want my future Cayman S to have PDK because:

1) I'm used to automatic. When I learned to drive manual, it was when I was stationed in England and it was a right hand drive car. Strangely enough, it was easier to go to a right hand drive car than it was to come back to the US and drive on the left side of the car.

2) I've driven the PDK and it was awesome. It's way more intuitive and better at shifting than I'll ever be.

3) I drive about 30 miles one way to work each day (mostly Interstate-540). Traffic is light going to work because I leave early enough. Traffic on the way home is mostly stop and go for 75% of my drive. I hate the stop and go in an automatic, I'm sure it's worse for a manual. Both of the local Porsche dealers in the Raleigh, NC area agree that for my commute a manual isn't the best choice.

In my mind, a Cayman would be perfect since I don't travel out of town much and the maximum amount of people I usually transport is one other person.
I also grew up driving a manual transmission, although after 15+ years of driving family cars, I'm used to an automatic. My Cayman is a PDK and I have a hard time imagining that a manual transmission would significantly increase my joy factor.

When I sat in a 981 while shopping around, I found my left knee and leg bumped into the bottom of the steering wheel -- I am 6'3" -- and the pedals seemed to be closer together than I expected.

My condolences on having to endure 540 in the afternoon.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:16 PM
Bizzaam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MRThomas
My condolences on having to endure 540 in the afternoon.
Thanks! I'm fortunate enough to get off work at 4 PM instead of 5. I know that would be way worse coming from RTP.

Quick Reply: Buying a Porsche Cayman (Used)