Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Porsche Cayman (Used)

Old 06-16-2016, 10:50 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like most here, I grew up in love with sports cars and motorcycles. As a six or eight year old, I could identify Corvettes and Camaros, differentiate 911s from Karmann Ghias, and 70s Ferraris from Fiat X1/9s. I promised myself that "one day" adult life, staying in school and clean living would bring me to that point.

Forty years went by. I traveled for a few years, put myself through college, got involved in the early Internet, had some fun. But, I only ever thought that I could afford motorcycles and bicycles for my speed thrills. Purchasing a car that could give me was a sporting 750 or 1000 could offer was just way too far beyond my means.

Recessions came an went, the Internet bubble of 2001 left me pretty destitute and out of work in a tech-saturated area. I've been at the same earnings since 1998. But, hey, that's life.

With my 48th birthday looming, last summer, I decided that a 944 as a play and project car wasn't too extravagant. $6500 for a second car hat I enjoyed, what could be the problem with that? And it was great, and taught me a lot.

But it was like a taste of heroin to a latent junkie. My thoughts became obsessed. Options, mods, upgrades. Test drives, E-bay, dreaming. I wanted 944 handling, with 911 power, in a modern platform. And I didn't want to pay more than $30K. It became a project.

Today, I drove my Cayman to work and back, AC blasting, feeling the road, embraced by the seats, everything in harmony. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer. If I expire tomorrow, I will have been the guy who really enjoy the hell out of those last two Porsches, rather than having family and friends say "He always wished he could have had a Porsche. It's a pity that he never made it."
Old 06-18-2016, 10:13 AM
Bizzaam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are awesome. You're helping me feed an addiction I didn't know I have. I was never a car guy until I got interested in the Cayman. I mean, I had posters of 911s, Ferraris, and Lamborghini's on my wall as a kid but that was the extent of it. If they had the Cayman back in the 80's, I'm sure I would have had that on my wall too. Only in the last 8 months did I have the realization I just might be able to afford one and decided to drop the idea of another VW. I've owned Jettas or an equivalent since 2002. Last month I was able to put $1700 towards paying off some debt and still be comfortable, so I'm going to try and save as aggressively as I can. I will welcome donations though...ha ha.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:56 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MRThomas
You're still young, but the years will fly by. Life is way too short not to get one if you have the resources.
freakin +1
Old 06-19-2016, 09:33 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

In December I bought a '10 987.2 S. PDK w/ sport chrono. Private party, still under CPO, 29K miles. Paid mid upper 30's

I bought primarily to use in DE events which I have done 3 so far. Totally stock except for brake pads and fluid.

I've owned a 993 Turbo since new, I also have an F355 in the stable, and my DD is an Audi S5

The Cayman is probably the best, most fun to drive car I've ever had.

The power/acceleration is just fine especially with the PDK.

The only time I wished it had more power is on track accelerating out of a turn at 90 mph onto a long straight.

Good thing it had the CPO because during the PPI the dealer said there was a leak between the engine and trans and ended up replacing the whole PDK unit. It also needed a water pump and rear wheel bearings.

If you want to own a car like this and you are concerned about maintenance costs, you need to learn to do some work yourself.

At the least you should be able to change your own fluids and brakes which is very simple on this car.

There is plenty of help online. I am not a mechanic by any stretch and I've done some pretty technical jobs by researching online. The one I'm most proud of is pulling the axle shaft on the F car to replace torn CV boots.

I say find a 987.2S and make sure it has sport chrono (especially if it's PDK)

My .02
Old 07-02-2016, 11:31 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MY10CS

If you're still looking PM me. I'm looking to move into something newer.
No pressure.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:52 PM
UCTeeth
Intermediate

Hey guys, what Exhausts do you guys recommend for the 987? I am looking all around with tons of different options. I want to see if any of you have changed out the exhaust.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:08 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by UCTeeth
Hey guys, what Exhausts do you guys recommend for the 987? I am looking all around with tons of different options. I want to see if any of you have changed out the exhaust.
I have a Carnewal GT modified system. But as you've noted there are half a dozen aftermarket systems.
Use the search function and you will find many many threads about that subject with more info than you can process.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:04 AM
UCTeeth
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Spokayman
I have a Carnewal GT modified system. But as you've noted there are half a dozen aftermarket systems.
Use the search function and you will find many many threads about that subject with more info than you can process.
How do you like it? I have been hard to decide what sound your after if you don't know much about then. I ll keep researching
Old 07-05-2016, 12:51 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by UCTeeth
How do you like it? I have been hard to decide what sound your after if you don't know much about then. I ll keep researching
I like it on my '06 Cayman S.
I don't think my wife would like it on her '09 Boxster as it might be just a bit too loud for her liking.
It is an internal modification of the original muffler which has the benefit of a stock look (might help with passing a visual emissions inspection in a state like Calif), the stock heavy gauge stainless steel muffler casing (which some theorize helps keep drone away), and it is less costly than purchasing new mufflers.
It is quieter than most, if not all, of the aftermarket systems, and this may turn some away from it.
For example, I have heard video clips of the Borla system on a Cayman and I liked the sound. However some have complained quite a bit about the drone, and some have even removed it because it was just too much drone.
There are a number of opinions in the threads that discuss exhaust systems and I found them valuable to help sway me to the system that worked best for me.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:44 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokayman
I like it on my '06 Cayman S. I don't think my wife would like it on her '09 Boxster as it might be just a bit too loud for her liking. It is an internal modification of the original muffler which has the benefit of a stock look (might help with passing a visual emissions inspection in a state like Calif), the stock heavy gauge stainless steel muffler casing (which some theorize helps keep drone away), and it is less costly than purchasing new mufflers. It is quieter than most, if not all, of the aftermarket systems, and this may turn some away from it. For example, I have heard video clips of the Borla system on a Cayman and I liked the sound. However some have complained quite a bit about the drone, and some have even removed it because it was just too much drone. There are a number of opinions in the threads that discuss exhaust systems and I found them valuable to help sway me to the system that worked best for me.
I was thinking of the Carenewal too, I think it must sound close to the factory PSE?
Old 07-10-2016, 08:17 PM
Jeremy Wight
Instructor

For anyone here looking for a 981, I've got a very well priced 2015 for sale at $48k. https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ple-black.html Now that I've got a Turbo, that's all I want to drive
Old 07-10-2016, 09:39 PM
Bizzaam
Intermediate

That's a beautiful car! With commuter traffic in my area, I'd need a PDK. GLWS!
Old 07-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Jeremy Wight
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bizzaam
That's a beautiful car! With commuter traffic in my area, I'd need a PDK. GLWS!
Thanks Bizzaam! Too bad your "just" up the road 😄
Old 07-11-2016, 11:56 AM
Bizzaam
Intermediate

I know, it feels I'm always being taunted in some way. There was a 2006 at the dealership on Saturday for $32K but it was a manual Looks like I have to settle for this little guy for now.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:14 PM
UCTeeth
Intermediate

Talking

Originally Posted by Bizzaam
I know, it feels I'm always being taunted in some way. There was a 2006 at the dealership on Saturday for $32K but it was a manual Looks like I have to settle for this little guy for now.

Haha, is there any reason you want the PDk or triptonic over the Manual transmission? I was having this debate before I jumped into my Cayman S, but I ended up with the Manual Transmission. I barely knew how to drive manual, you should have seen my test drive but know I feel much more confident with it and I am glad I went with Manual. The PDK is awesome though...also 32k seems steep for an 06

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a Porsche Cayman (Used)