Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Porsche Cayman (Used)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 07:32 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
have a shop check the shift-cables too...........soon
The fine folks at Numeric Racing will extend a forum discount, if asked. Check out their website.

The cables are regarded as the best. Probably a single time, last a lifetime deal on a street car. Their shifter is a CNC milled work of engineering art. But it is pricey.

I'm a cheap dirtbag, so I found a Chinese knockoff of a well known, more reputable short shifter for under $60. This with the Numeric cables was my choice. Some people will howl at such sacrilege. Each to their own.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:43 AM
UCTeeth
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips man I will check it out for sure
Old 06-15-2016, 11:02 AM
Bizzaam
Intermediate

I've been researching for a while now will buy in the future moving up from a 2004 Jetta. I found the local Porsche Club of America chapter that just so happens to meet up in my city on Saturday mornings for breakfast/coffee. I've spoken with a lot of the guys there and they have been extremely helpful with their advice.

I have been fortunate enough to test drive a Cayman base and 2015 Cayman S. When I drove the base model, I was a bit nervous. My foot was shaking as I hit the pedal like I was a 14 year old driving for their first time. I had never driven a "sporty" car before and definitely not a sports car. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to punch the gas. When I hit the Interstate highway on ramp, I was behind the slowest cars to ever exist in North Carolina. The one time I get to drive a sports car and I couldn't experience an on ramp properly.

About a month later was when I drove the S. This time, the on ramp was mine. The stoplight turned green, and I punched the gas. The car accelerated and I could feel the G's pushing me back in the seat like the car wanted me to let go of the steering wheel. As I got halfway up the medium length on ramp, I saw I was doing 84 MPH. I never wanted to stop driving that car. I was smiling big all day long.

Everyone's experience will be different. Talk and research can take you so far. Test driving is what you need to do. You could love the way the car looks and not like certain aspects of the drive. You could also test drive and find something in the car you never knew existed. The Cayman S has seduced me. My girlfriend keeps trying to tell me to look at other "nice" cars that I can get at a cheaper price. She doesn't understand. She thinks a Mustang is a "bad ***" car and has never driven a "fancy car" as she calls Porsche. She wanted me to looking into getting a Mini Cooper. I told her I didn't have pictures of Minis on my wall as a kid, I had Porsche 911s on my wall. I'm hooked on the Cayman now. That's my two cents.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:16 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^ you would be wise to listen to your girlfriend
Old 06-15-2016, 11:24 AM
UCTeeth
Intermediate

Originally Posted by extanker
^^^^ you would be wise to listen to your girlfriend
Ha-ha why are you always against Porsche or always talking worst case scenario with them?
Old 06-15-2016, 11:33 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my bad ....you bought. get back when you put some seat time and dollars in.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:40 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bizzaam
My girlfriend keeps trying to tell me to look at other "nice" cars that I can get at a cheaper price. She doesn't understand. She thinks a Mustang is a "bad ***" car and has never driven a "fancy car" as she calls Porsche. She wanted me to looking into getting a Mini Cooper. I told her I didn't have pictures of Minis on my wall as a kid, I had Porsche 911s on my wall. I'm hooked on the Cayman now. That's my two cents.
you'd be wise to find a girlfriend that says this: you work hard for your money get what you want and enjoy it. At least that's what mine said. We are married now. Back to the Cayman, they are great cars all the way around. Get the S if you can. Get an '09 or newer if you can.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Bizzaam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
you'd be wise to find a girlfriend that says this: you work hard for your money get what you want and enjoy it. At least that's what mine said. We are married now. Back to the Cayman, they are great cars all the way around. Get the S if you can. Get an '09 or newer if you can.
The funny thing is she gives me this "buy something else" crap then does the womanly guilt trip voice "Okay, it's YOUR money do what you want to do with it. Just as long as you can pay the bills and take me out." She makes around $40k a year and is slowly draining her savings. She's trying to give me advice while I make a generous amount more than her and I actively try to improve myself professionally. If I can pull it off, I may be opening my own IT consulting firm or as a minimum try to pick up some freelance work. If you know anyone that needs IT services I'm a Cisco Network Engineer (shameless plug, I know). Sorry for the long tirade.

Anyway, I'm going to be turning 36 this year and I know I still have some time ahead of me but I am a bit of an adrenaline junkie. Combine that with my Jetta is starting to fall apart and you get a guy that is excited about getting into a P-Car. The practical side of me still says wait a bit because I always hear the horror stories of maintenance prices. The local PCA guys say Caymans are expensive to repair, if they need repairs. They told me to get the regular servicing done and everything will be okay. I am thinking about getting a 2014 Cayman S if they find the color I want at the right price. I did hear that 2014 was an excellent year & solid build/upgrades for the Cayman. I'm thinking sapphire blue metallic. I already told my dealer to look for a 2009 and up. My grandma that's pushing 90 told me to get the car, life's too short. She lives in the mountains of Pennsylvania, so I know going to visit her would be a blast in a Cayman.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:16 PM
MRThomas
AutoX

I already told my dealer to look for a 2009
I'm also in Raleigh and spent the last two or three months looking for a 2009 or later Cayman. There hasn't been a lot to choose from.

Last weekend I bought a 2014 and drove it back from Florida. I am glad that I stretched my budget to include the 2014. I am very happy with the car.

You're still young, but the years will fly by. Life is way too short not to get one if you have the resources.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:30 PM
Bizzaam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MRThomas
I'm also in Raleigh and spent the last two or three months looking for a 2009 or later Cayman. There hasn't been a lot to choose from.
Do you go to the cars and coffee at Jason's Deli on Saturday mornings in Brier Creek?
Old 06-16-2016, 04:35 PM
MRThomas
AutoX

Do you go to the cars and coffee at Jason's Deli on Saturday mornings in Brier Creek?
I haven't yet, but I will soon. I live pretty close to there.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:52 PM
Fuggles
Track Day

Wait a minute, there's a cars and coffee in Brier Creek? I live in Durham. When do they meet?
Old 06-16-2016, 04:55 PM
Bizzaam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MRThomas
I haven't yet, but I will soon. I live pretty close to there.
Sorry if you already know this, but the cars and coffee starts at Jason's Deli at 8 AM and lasts until everyone leaves, which is generally around 10-ish. I've heard about a first Saturday cars and coffee at Southpoint Porsche that starts around 9-9:30. People will leave Jason's Deli on the first Saturday and then go to Southpoint. The dealership has coffee and sometimes doughnuts. I haven't been enough to know for sure. The first Saturday is when a lot of people come out. The Southpoint guys have told me that's when you'll never know what you're gonna see. If you ever do decide to go to Jason's Deli, just walk up to people and start talking. You'll know me cause I'll be the youngest guy there probably, especially if you see my black Jetta parked across from Barnes & Noble. If anything I'd like to meet you from the standpoint of you just bought one and I'd like to follow how things go with it.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:30 PM
Fuggles
Track Day

So on the first saturday of each month, people start at Jason's Deli and then migrate to Porsche Southpoint?

You're right I did just buy one but if you say you'll probably be the youngest guy out there at 36 then I might feel out of place at 25.

I used to go to the C&C at Raleigh Grande but haven't been to any since the sinkhole closed it down.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:25 PM
Bizzaam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fuggles
So on the first saturday of each month, people start at Jason's Deli and then migrate to Porsche Southpoint?

You're right I did just buy one but if you say you'll probably be the youngest guy out there at 36 then I might feel out of place at 25.

I used to go to the C&C at Raleigh Grande but haven't been to any since the sinkhole closed it down.
It's a good way to meet people. If I'm there or not, you'll be fine. There's a lot of wisdom with the group. It's like a group of guys talking about sports but sports cars instead. A few weeks ago I saw a Cayman GT R/S at the C&C. Well over a $200k car. I heard they're rare.

Quick Reply: Buying a Porsche Cayman (Used)