Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Porsche Cayman (Used)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 09:03 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You do not show where you are, but reaching out here might help you locate an Indy shop for a PPI.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:10 PM
UCTeeth
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in CA sorry I didn't know my profile didn't show my location. So if at a dealership that's not Porsche should I just ask if I can do an independent PPI?
Old 05-12-2016, 06:43 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by UCTeeth
I'm in CA sorry I didn't know my profile didn't show my location. So if at a dealership that's not Porsche should I just ask if I can do an independent PPI?
not exactly, an Indy shop is an independent Porsche repair shop. They know the cars well, and are qualified to do a full assessment. Check to see how many Cayman PPI's they've done. if they don't know what a PPI is, move on.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:50 PM
UCTeeth
Intermediate

So I've located 3 caymans that's I am really interested in. 2 of them are towns 2-3 hours away from me. How do you guys go about finding shops that can do a PPI, do you recommend I use the Porsche dealership? Or and independent for this PPI?
Old 05-16-2016, 11:49 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

So I've located 3 caymans that's I am really interested in. 2 of them are towns 2-3 hours away from me. How do you guys go about finding shops that can do a PPI, do you recommend I use the Porsche dealership? Or and independent for this PPI?
Google is your friend, takes a bit of research, time, and a few phone calls. There is a site that lists only Porsche repair shops, can't recall what it's called, but you'll find it.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:44 AM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 59 Posts

Try this link: http://www.pcarshops.com/

I've used it to locate and talk to shops in Milwaukee, Chico, CA, and Chicago.

Also, get specific with where these cars are geographically, and perhaps a member here can swing by and do a "rennfax" for you. Good luck in your search; I'm sure you've heard that the hunt is half the fun!
Old 05-17-2016, 04:09 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

I am overly cautious but you do want to ensure ppi shop (dealer or indie) does not have some connection to car seller. Also as mentioned in my May 7 post I looked up Porsche Club of America, found chapter in area where car is, and e-mailed club officers listed on site asking for shops they knew about. They were very helpful--just another source beyond those mentioned.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:35 AM
UCTeeth
Intermediate

Default Found one that I like and did the PPI

So I have located a Porsche Cayman S that I like. It's a 2008 Black with two tone tan/black interior. It has 55 k miles, I am really excited about it.

So the PPI revealed only two slightly significant things according to the mechanic:

1) the motor for the windshield wiper fluid is broken.

2) one of the engine mounts is leaking gel, and needs to be replaced.

Now my question to you guys is, the engine mount replacement is that a DIY kind of job or something that's hard to do like an IMS bearing replacement?

Porsche dealership quoted me $1200 about for doing those two thing, seems rather steep
Old 05-28-2016, 09:58 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

steep ????? you aint seen nuttin yet dude. wait for your dealer oil change. you have a few surprises coming on maintenance and other things
Old 05-28-2016, 10:16 AM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

He's right. At 55K get ready to hit replacement of a lot of wear items in the next 15-20k miles. For example, when were the brakes done? Pads, rotors, fluids on all corners? Plugs? Might want to see what maintenance you're headed for and quote those at the dealer or Indy as well, guessing you've got at least $5-7K coming up soon depending on how often you plan to drive it.

$1,200 is a big repair on a Honda or Toyota, on these cars it's just scratching the surface.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:41 AM
UCTeeth
Intermediate

Oh yeah I completely understand that these cars will be expensive to maintain. I am coming out of a BMW. I just felt the dealership is charging much more than a Indy would charge $700 for the front engine mount at the dealer vs $420 at an Indy.

I did some research and it looks like Pedro'sgarage shows how you can do the front engine mount yourself too
Old 05-28-2016, 07:18 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh yeah I completely understand that these cars will be expensive to maintain. I am coming out of a BMW. I just felt the dealership is charging much more than a Indy would charge $700 for the front engine mount at the dealer vs $420 at an Indy.

I did some research and it looks like Pedro'sgarage shows how you can do the front engine mount yourself too
as a fellow long-time BMW owner, if you think BMW dealers are expensive (and they are) Porsche dealers raise the art form known as rip-off to a whole new level.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:57 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carsly
as a fellow long-time BMW owner, if you think BMW dealers are expensive (and they are) Porsche dealers raise the art form known as rip-off to a whole new level.
along those lines, I love that there is no way to cancel the service reminder, e.g. Oil, without a trip to the dealer.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:20 PM
UCTeeth
Intermediate

Default Pulled the trigger on the Porsche Cayman S

Im so stoked on the car. Any suggestions on a short shift kit or a way to eliminate play in the shift ****?
Old 06-11-2016, 05:59 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

have a shop check the shift-cables too...........soon

Quick Reply: Buying a Porsche Cayman (Used)