Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Any Dealer Add Ons you would suggest??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:46 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question: Any Dealer Add Ons you would suggest??

Will pick up "new" 2015 Cayman S (130 miles) at Porsche dealer tomorrow. My first Porsche, but with other cars always dread the time spent with finance manager where they try to sell you all sorts of add ons.

I do think I will opt for clear film protection (full hood) and although it will cost more probably will have Porsche dealer use their installer to put it on (I had a bad experience once when I used an installer I chose and installer blamed car and car dealer blamed installer).

With my BMW I did opt for their wheel protection insurance and have used it once already (live in pot-hole city and low profile tires cause issues with tires and rims).

I have not yet found a website showing what Porsche dealers will offer so would appreciate your comments on what they will try to sell me and what if any dealer options would be worth considering. Thank you
Old 05-02-2016, 11:30 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I see this scene in your future...

Old 05-02-2016, 06:31 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I recall that scene from Fargo and have been there done that. My local Porsche dealer was pretty straight forward--the sales manager spent a lot of time with me just answering some remaining technical questions (had established the deal on Saturday) then turned me over to finance person to complete paperwork and offer the obligatory add-ons and maybe he was tired out from month end work load, but he took "no" for "no" and did not try to sell anything.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:44 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 400 Likes on 184 Posts

Congrats on your new buggy. I think the clear film protection is a good choice, having the dealer's go- to people for this is also a better choice. When I got my Cayman I asked who the dealer would recommend and they had a shop in town that did all the Porsches that they sold. The installers were very familiar with the model and did a excellent job. depending on your driving conditions in your area you may want to consider a "bikini cut" 1/2 hood covering if they offer that option. A lot of Porsche owners use this option along with the front clip, mirrors, rear wheel arches and door handle interior fingernail scrape points.
Depending on how long it will take you to build up mileage a long term maintenance warranty may not be in your favor. If it is a daily driver perhaps yes but if it is a hobby car and will only get a few thousand miles a year the regular warranty will cover it for a long time. I think a lot of these cars time out on warranties way before the mileage gets up there.
When I bought my car the manager asked me how many miles I thought I would drive per year and told me the long term warranty was just not needed, waste of bucks.
Enjoy your Cayman it is a wonderful car!
Old 05-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Good man. Say no to everything. All the dealer add ons are ridiculously marked up.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:42 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Thank you for helpful comments.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:34 AM
CountCatula
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're gonna do the clear film, consider more than just the hood. While the full hood is prudent, consider also protecting the rocker panels, A pillars, the mirror surface and perhaps the lights. In addition, pre cuts are cheaper the finish isn't as neat as wrap jobs.

Quick Reply: Question: Any Dealer Add Ons you would suggest??