Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic converter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 10:32 AM
davemonfl
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic converter replacement

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
If your cats are toast, purchase some decent quality aftermarket high-flow cats (I like Magnaflow) and take the factory cats to a reputable fab shop and have them cut out the factory cats and replace them with the Magnaflows. It should cost under $500.
Has anybody on here done this? I have a 2007 base Cayman with bad CATs and was considering buying high flow Magnaflow CATs and having them wielded in. Does anyone know the dimensions of the stock CATs at the fattest point? The exhaust pipe is 2.25", right? Do the CATs have to have 2.25 inlet and outlets or 2.5 to fit over the exhaust pipe? Sorry for the dumb questions. The oxy sensors are mounted before and after the CATs so they should still be in place, right?
I have had resonators removed on an '03 VR6 Jetta and an '09 2.0T Jetta by the same local shop and they had to fabricate a bent pipe to replace the resonator on the 2.0T. I have been very pleased with their work on those two cars and would trust them to do the Cayman.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:50 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A universal cat will not work with you car do to size/design of the exhaust system. Your car has cats off the headers and a set in the catback exhaust system. FYI the emissions warranty is longer than standard warranty, but you're probably outside of that at this point. Worth checking into.

Look into an after market option like fabspeed or try sourcing a used set.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:07 PM
davemonfl
AutoX

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
A universal cat will not work with you car do to size/design of the exhaust system. Your car has cats off the headers and a set in the catback exhaust system. FYI the emissions warranty is longer than standard warranty, but you're probably outside of that at this point. Worth checking into.

Look into an after market option like fabspeed or try sourcing a used set.
Yeah I think you are correct, MagnaFlow makes the whole header and Cat assembly as a Direct bolt-on replacement, I think I am going to have to go with that, it is more expensive than buying universals and having them welded on but they have a 5 year 50000 mile warranty and finding a universal one that will fit seems impossible.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:25 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't know magnaflow made header/cat for these cars, that's a decent price.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:25 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

We do an upgrade/repair of the original gen1 and gen2 manifolds with 200 cell HJS elements.
This gives you new, HQ cat elements , +10 to 15HP and 25% more sound with no CEL's.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:44 PM
davemonfl
AutoX

Originally Posted by Gert
We do an upgrade/repair of the original gen1 and gen2 manifolds with 200 cell HJS elements.
This gives you new, HQ cat elements , +10 to 15HP and 25% more sound with no CEL's.

What is the cost to have this done on the Gen1 and where are you located? Is there a warranty? Thanks!
Old 04-22-2016, 03:39 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

There is a 2 year warranty on the elements.
More info :
http://www.carnewal.com/products/P87...nge-Sport-Cats

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter replacement