Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 base cayman

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:19 PM
mono01
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 base cayman

I am new here .I am thinking about to get a 2016 base cayman automatic with the 19 inch tires as a daily driver don't like the 18 inch wheels. need to know if the 19 inch tires will cause the car to have a rough ride,also the base seats are they comfortable on long trips because I have a lower back problem have not test drove the car yet. thank you.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:00 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Mono both the 18 and 19 tire/wheel combinations are the same overall diameter, the 19-inch wheel is an inch bigger but is equipped with a tire with a smaller aspect ratio (the sidewall is shorter) so yes, the ride is rougher. Also, the tire road noise is slightly greater, replacement tires are more expensive and the chance of damaging or inflicting curb rash to the wheel is greater.

He (the driver) has a big ol’ a$$ and me (the navigator) is pretty svelte. His Carrera 4 GTS has the basic sport seat and both of us find them to be a great feeling, supportive and a comfortable environment on long 10-hour bumpy back road days, on long holiday trips. Sometimes less is truly more.

One thing to consider, is ordering the seats with Alcantara seat upholstery instead of a basic leather. The alcantara grips and holds you in place, is super durable, and feels cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Also it’s lighter than leather, because’ sports car’.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:59 PM
mono01
6th Gear

sir so the 18 inch tires would have a better ride and less road noise ?
Old 04-12-2016, 12:05 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

My Cayman came with 19" wheels, and I thought the ride was fine. I've since switched to 20" wheels, but I didn't notice a major change to ride quality, for what that's worth. If you look at tirerack.com, you can get a sense for what replacement tires will cost for each size.

I've done several road trips in my car with the standard seats, and I found them to be very comfortable.

Hope that helps - good luck with your search!
Old 04-12-2016, 03:07 AM
mono01
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jennifer911
Mono both the 18 and 19 tire/wheel combinations are the same overall diameter, the 19-inch wheel is an inch bigger but is equipped with a tire with a smaller aspect ratio (the sidewall is shorter) so yes, the ride is rougher. Also, the tire road noise is slightly greater, replacement tires are more expensive and the chance of damaging or inflicting curb rash to the wheel is greater.

He (the driver) has a big ol’ a$$ and me (the navigator) is pretty svelte. His Carrera 4 GTS has the basic sport seat and both of us find them to be a great feeling, supportive and a comfortable environment on long 10-hour bumpy back road days, on long holiday trips. Sometimes less is truly more.

One thing to consider, is ordering the seats with Alcantara seat upholstery instead of a basic leather. The alcantara grips and holds you in place, is super durable, and feels cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Also it’s lighter than leather, because’ sports car’.
sir does that mean that the 18 inch tires would have a better ride and less road noise ?
Old 04-12-2016, 05:29 AM
mono01
6th Gear

also would like to know with the windows up and doing 70 mph is the noise level quiet or is it high. I am comeing from a 2015 corvette.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:09 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you really need to road test these cars......over all imho they are quieter and smoother than corvettes. neither one are good for people with bad backs. performance wise you may be shocked compared to the corvettes as in the po does not have anything close to corvette torque. base/18,s/pdk to start and watch out for the options......it can drive the price up to insanity .be prepared for 300.00 min. oil changes /tires every 20k or so .i can say double 70 mph the car is quiet and smooth....it just takes awhile to get there. po believes in reving the snot out of every gear and hope you get to the turn first....it really does not work.road test road test and more road test them.they are a well made car although some times i wonder what the evil elves from the black forest were thinking when they designed things......
Old 04-12-2016, 06:42 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

and tinkerbell stereotypes
Old 04-18-2016, 05:03 AM
mono01
6th Gear

can anyone tell me if I get the 19 inch tires and the pasm will the car have a better ride ?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:32 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mono01
can anyone tell me if I get the 19 inch tires and the pasm will the car have a better ride ?
absolutely!
Old 04-18-2016, 10:19 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by mono01
I am new here .I am thinking about to get a 2016 base cayman automatic with the 19 inch tires as a daily driver don't like the 18 inch wheels. need to know if the 19 inch tires will cause the car to have a rough ride,also the base seats are they comfortable on long trips because I have a lower back problem have not test drove the car yet. thank you.
I recently purchased a new 981 base model with base seats and 19 inch wheels. Since new I have been making repeated 250 mile one way trips on the interstate. I'm pleasantly surprised how often I make the 3:15 trip without a stop. The car is not luxurious. You sit 12 inches off the road with your feet straight out in front of you. But I find it to be as comfortable as I would like. You may have a different conclusion based on the specific nature of your back problems.

In theory 19 inch wheels will give a rougher ride but I don't find it any worse than the 17 inch wheels on my 987. Both give a rather rough ride when the road is choppy but I don't expect anything else. To me the problem with 19 inch wheels is the higher tire cost and greater risk of wheel damage. Most cars with a sport suspension will let you know when you hit rough pavement.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:33 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

He asked about 19" with PASM. To smooth out the chop, one needs PASM. It works to smooth out rough roads when not engaged by learning, then does the same for sport mode by learning. It is not binary, the ECU is making fine adjustments based on inputs from the driver and suspension.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:43 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
He asked about 19" with PASM. To smooth out the chop, one needs PASM. It works to smooth out rough roads when not engaged by learning, then does the same for sport mode by learning. It is not binary, the ECU is making fine adjustments based on inputs from the driver and suspension.
The original poster didn't ask anything about PASM. You don't need PASM "to smooth out the chop". The ride is just fine without it. It is certainly firm but not a problem and reasonable considering the intended nature of the car.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:56 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
The original poster didn't ask anything about PASM. You don't need PASM "to smooth out the chop". The ride is just fine without it. It is certainly firm but not a problem and reasonable considering the intended nature of the car.
my reply was not directed to the OP. Have you ridden in a 19" wheeled car with and without PASM?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:38 AM
CountCatula
7th Gear

OP: I have a standard Cayman with 18" tires and while the ride feels more comfortable on the awful roads we have, the road noise is certainly considerable. However, as pointed out, ride with 19" wheels is overall smoother with PASM. As far as I know, PASM is active all the time.

Quick Reply: 2016 base cayman