Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Trade my Audi TTS for a 2008 Limited Edition Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 01:42 PM
sgumm
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Trade my Audi TTS for a 2008 Limited Edition Boxster?

I just wanted everyone's opinion, although I know it will be quite biased here.
I found a very nice, low mileage 2008 limited edition (180/250) Porsche Boxster. I took it out for a day and it is pretty fun to drive. (Much better in the corners)
These have a nice body kit, Alcantara interior, and a sweet orange paint job from a GT3 RS.
It looks good (and I usually don't like the looks of this generation Boxster), not as good as the Audi, and it draws way more attention than the Audi... which I like.
It definitely isn't as fast, but it feels decent and healthy. Plus, it is a manual. My first time driving a manual Porsche and the shifting feels incredible.
It has the sports exhaust with the baffles you can open. It sounds very, very good. The sound of my Audi has always disappointed me.
My Audi is a 2017 TTS in Daytona Grey with red interior.

I have never really considered a Boxster before. A Cayman, yes. But I bought my Audi over a Cayman 718 S I was also looking at.

The biggest thing is that the wife likes it. She never likes anything (other than the Audi). And it is a fair bit cheaper. She really dislikes the payments on the Audi.
Plus, my main goal is to have an R8 in a few years, so the lower price will help me put away some money for that faster.

So, what are your thoughts? I don't really drive in the snow and ice, but it would be a DD, although I have other cars I can use if needed.

In terms of future value, everyday livability, reliability, and fun, what do you think? I would miss the tech of the Audi, but it isn't a huge deal.

I think my biggest qualms are reliability, and how much slower it is than the Audi. I like my 0-60 runs.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

The current generation (Mk III) TT's are the best handling of any of the Audi TT's. With that being said, the handling on the Boxster is better. The steering feel on the Boxster is way better. For me, the seating position in the Boxster is also much better. TT is too upright. Also it seems the relationship between the seat, pedals and steering wheel is wrong. Even though adjustable, I can not get it where I want.

They both have decent storage. It's surprising how much you can get in the two trunks of the Boxster. With the seats folded, the TT may have more room, but either is fine for a DD or to carry stuff for a week away or track weekend. Stuff in the front trunk can get a bit warm with spirited driving.

Not sure where you live, but around here a Boxster doesn't get a second look. The TT-RS is noticed by enthusiasts only. I had a TTS cab in Jet Blue metallic that got lots of comments. If you love attention, you will love the R8. The absurd attention it attracted was one reason I sold mine.

Your TT-S is faster in every measurable way than the Boxster. About 2 sec slower to 60. The Boxster S from that year is a closer match, but still slightly slower.

Tech in the Audi is light years ahead. Particularly if yours has the virtual cockpit. The Porsche still uses an old-fashioned key!

And if you have any need at all for AWD or rear seats, there is only one choice.

Your other points:
- future value - probably goes to the Porsche. For some reason, the TT has never been a big seller. You will likely take a massive depreciation hit trading it. The Porsche has already depreciated and will continue to do so at a slower rate.
- everyday livability - either would be a great choice. Some prefer an auto tranny for daily use, so there is that.
- reliability - nod to the Audi. It's newer and likely still has some warranty. The Porsche is also pretty solid, but has the specter of IMS failure looming overhead.
- fun - if you want handling and surgical precision it's the Porsche hands down. Manual vs dual clutch is a personal choice. The Audi dual clutch is not as good as Porsches PDK.

Really no wrong answer. If the wife is happy. . .
Old 10-06-2019, 04:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The driving experience will definitely be better in the Boxster. Make sure you get a complete PPI on the Boxster, while IMS and bore scoring isn't common on the 08's it can still be an issue and having a PPI is cheap insurance.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:54 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

The 08 limited edition base Boxster is one of the finest Boxsters ever made, and I actually prefer it over the S aesthetically mainly for the unique wheels versus black lobsters. Does it have sport chrono? Those that did had 6 speed gearboxes as I recall. Non SC's had 5 speeds.

These days everything is out there going way over speed limits, no matter how unpowerful the car is. But not everything gives you the same satisfaction. 987s have some of the best handling and steering Porsche ever delivered. The more special 987s are gems. I would love to DD that car. I did DD my RS60 Spyder when I had it. A little quicker than the base 987 limited edition, but no more fun necessarily. Put some very grippy tires on the Boxster and it's heaven to drive quick through corners.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:29 PM
sgumm
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
The 08 limited edition base Boxster is one of the finest Boxsters ever made, and I actually prefer it over the S aesthetically mainly for the unique wheels versus black lobsters. Does it have sport chrono? Those that did had 6 speed gearboxes as I recall. Non SC's had 5 speeds.

These days everything is out there going way over speed limits, no matter how unpowerful the car is. But not everything gives you the same satisfaction. 987s have some of the best handling and steering Porsche ever delivered. The more special 987s are gems. I would love to DD that car. I did DD my RS60 Spyder when I had it. A little quicker than the base 987 limited edition, but no more fun necessarily. Put some very grippy tires on the Boxster and it's heaven to drive quick through corners.

No sport chrono, unfortunately. I think I am going to go for it if the PPI goes well and I can talk them down a bit. I will miss the Audi, but I never planned on keeping it past the warranty period anyway.

Maybe the Boxster will go up in value? That would be a win.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:44 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Dr. Bill covered it well. Since the Boxster is a very different point of its depreciation curve, it should cost you less to own. But a major repair could change that. Don’t kid yourself to think about appreciation. Also, if the goal is an R8, why not sell the TTS and just save for the R8?
Old 10-08-2019, 12:56 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by sgumm
Maybe the Boxster will go up in value? That would be a win.
It may not go up, but shouldn't go down. I drove my RS60 for 2 years, put 20k miles on it, and traded it for only $1500 less than I bought for at a dealer. Had I sold direct to a consumer, I could have easily profited. Had no warranty when I owned it, and I was never concerned about reliability.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:09 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

I noticed your post when browsing...I just picked up a 2008 LE Boxster this weekend! I drove it from my parents' house in Pittsburgh, PA to Charlotte, NC on Sunday. I have always liked Boxsters, but never owned one. I hadn't driven one in quite some time, but when I took this one out for a test drive I was reminded why they've been so popular for so long. It definitely isn't fast, but it has enough juice to have fun on the street. I've owned numerous other roadsters (too many miata of various generations to count, MR2 Spyder, S2000, etc.), and the the orange Boxster definitely stands out as unique.

In terms of future value, everyday livability, reliability, and fun, what do you think? I would miss the tech of the Audi, but it isn't a huge deal.
  • I have no idea if the 2008 LE will have any additional future value over and above all the other Boxster models. Regardless of future value, one of the reasons I bought it is because it is so unique. The orange paint looks amazing in person, and the whole car with the aero bits, interior, etc. ties together beautifully. To me it screams 'fun'. When I drove it, that was the one word that kept going through my mind. It is definitely a polarizing color though, and I feel like people love it or hate it. If it's cheaper than your Audi, you'll save money and maybe have some extra mod money to play with.
  • Livability is a tough one, and is a bit subjective. What's loud, stiff, and uncomfortable to you, I may find soothing and luxurious if I'm used to tooling around in an Elise. Mine was pretty serene on the 8 1/2 hour road trip I just took. The roof is much more solid than other verts I've owned. I went through some heavy rain storms, and not a drop got in. With the sport exhaust closed there was no drone. Mine is equipped with 19" wheels, so it definitely has some stiffness over expansion joints, etc. The seat heaters are powerful and keep the buns toasty. Mine has a juiced-up aftermarket stereo, which sounds really good. Porsche has the ergonomics of sport driving down to a science, so no issue there. Ripping through twisty bits on the test drive and my drive home was joyous. You mentioned the shifter on the boxster being really good, but I found it sloppy. That said, my reference points are IMO some of the finest shifters ever created (early Miata, S2000, Acura NSX). As noted above...it's all relative.
  • Reliability- I don't know on this one. Mine has a good service history and was clearly well-loved by the previous owner. I've never owned an Audi, but have owned BMW and Mercedes. I'm assuming the Porsche will be similar to those. It won't be nearly maintenance-free like the Japanese options, but I'm praying this car doesn't bury me with expenses! I'll probably only put 1,000 miles on it per year since I have a bunch of cars and won't be commuting in it.
  • Power- This is always a sticky topic, but I don't find high horsepower cars nearly as fun on the street as lower-powered ones. I have a 480 WHP C6 vette, and you can stay in the throttle for all of about 2 seconds before you're doing 90 mph. In a really powerful car you're spending more time on the brakes, whereas in a lower-powered car you're spending more time on the throttle listening to that flat six wail.
  • Technology- With a good modern head unit tied to your phone, I don't think you'll really be lacking for too much tech. Most of the bull**** electronics on modern cars are more of a distraction than anything else. The safety ones are valuable, but the digital touchscreens are the devil when trying to quickly hit buttons while driving. Tactile buttons for major controls are so much nicer IMO.
  • Wife factor- If your wife likes it better, go for the Boxster. When I sent my wife a pic she said she loved it, and I was shocked. Maybe she'll be more apt to enjoy it with you if she likes it more than enough, or be cooler about you playing cars with your friends.
  • Convertible- Until I bought my first Miata about ten years ago I thought convertibles were 'chick cars.' Boy was I wrong! Driving with the top down is a treat on a sunny fall day, and the soundtrack the Boxster will provide will just amp that experience up to 11. A convertible is one step closer to a motorcycle without anywhere near the threat of being killed by other drivers asleep at the wheel. As above, your wife may really enjoy the convertible experience as well. Mine drives mine all the time.
  • Why not?- If you sell your TTS and find you can't live without (which you won't since you're asking this question). I have nothing against the TTS, but you'll always be able to find another similar one.

In summary, buy the Boxster. Based on my read of your post, you're just looking for some friends to push you off the cliff. Your 0-60 runs are fun, but take the Boxster to AutoX or an HPDE and you'll likely never care about 0-60 times again. You clearly enjoyed the car and want it, and the fact that it's cheaper and your wife likes it is gravy. If she has fun with the whole 'car thing,' you're going to have a much easier time when it comes time to buy that R8! Again, the functional key word with any 'punch-you-in-the-eye' orange car is fun. I guarantee you there is more fun baked into the orange car than there is in the Audi.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 10-08-2019, 05:18 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Sorry to hijack this thread...but a question for you. My car came with 19" wheels. Does anybody know what wheels these are? I haven't taken them off to read the backs of the mounting pads, and I don't see anything engraved, stickers, etc. I figured I'd throw it out there and see if anyone knew.

Also, my car came with a duct under the front edge of the hood that is reminiscent of the GT3 RS nose. The owner from whom I bought it told me he thought it was part of the 'RS package', and that about 76 out of the 500 orange cars came from the factory with this feature. I've never heard of such a thing, although I was able to find a different '08 orange boxster with the same duct opening under the edge of the hood. I don't think he was lying (he believed what he was telling me to be true). Is this an aftermarket piece? Thanks gents, and sorry again for the hijack!

Quick Reply: Should I Trade my Audi TTS for a 2008 Limited Edition Boxster?