Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building my Cayman S Race Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 08:58 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Thanks for the compliments.

Took it out to Roebling Road this past weekend. Completely different experience compared to the GT3s. I'm having to learn a little bit. Learning the car and the platform.

Had a pretty exciting spin during my first session. Had to make some adjustments to the car. Recovering in the cayman is different than the GT3.
Friend recommended I add some music to the spin.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:56 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
Thanks for the compliments. Took it out to Roebling Road this past weekend. Completely different experience compared to the GT3s. I'm having to learn a little bit. Learning the car and the platform. Video Link: https://youtu.be/Q1dCTk_rfys Had a pretty exciting spin during my first session. Had to make some adjustments to the car. Recovering in the cayman is different than the GT3. Friend recommended I add some music to the spin. Video Link: https://youtu.be/Bq9eGPTRD_8
Thanks for sharing.

Have you figured out why you spun? It was not at all obvious to me (but I'm a relative novice).
Old 09-06-2016, 11:01 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

I've had a few inputs from various more experienced drivers. I was definitely not 'pushing' the car. I may have opened the wheel a little late relative to throttle position, though it didn't appear that I was applying throttle when it broke lose.

By stiffening up the front sway bar one position, I didn't experience that type of condition again.

With regards to recovery (or lack thereof), a couple of items came into play:
1) New platform for me - mid engine vs rear
2) PSM was off (would it have helped?)
3) User error - some say I should have stayed on the gas, others say I should have been less...

I have a lot more to learn.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Great thread...enjoying this a lot, I appreciate you sharing!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:06 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Local Sheriff's Office had a display at a car show, so I brought down the race car to be part of their display. Supporting local law enforcement! That old police car was awesome!

Old 09-16-2016, 09:32 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

Wow! Would love to do this with my boys!

Last edited by aryork; 09-16-2016 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-17-2016, 08:36 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Any external engine cooler?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:38 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paseb
Any external engine cooler?
Just the 3rd radiator with ducting.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:55 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

So, having gone through hurricane matthew, around 2 miles from the beach, after clean up, it was time to head down to Sebring with Chin. Met a buddy down there and we had a fun time for the day.

Car ran well - a little hot on the oil and may want to put an oil cooler in next spring. I am running a little heavier oil. Water temp could be 10-15 degrees lower as well.

I still have a lot to learn with this mid-engine platform. Here's a quick video from my last session...

Old 10-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Curious, what is the current redline of the engine? I notice you keep the revs close or even beyond 8,000 much of the time. Sorry if this was discussed earlier in the thread. Thanks
Old 10-11-2016, 10:56 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

No problem.

We tuned the engine and raised the redline from 7800 to 8000. It hasn't created any issues so far with the cars that have been driven the past few years in enduros and other racing events.

Watching the videos, I'd say 70% of the time, I short shift between 7500 and 7800. I'm trying to find places where I can short shift so I don't run out of gear. The tower turn is one of those places where that's happening.

The car is fun!
Old 10-11-2016, 11:24 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Had a pretty exciting spin during my first session. Had to make some adjustments to the car.
I spun in the exact same spot a few weeks later with Coastal region in my 986 Boxster in my 2nd session. (I've been to RRR a lot of times and never been in trouble in that corner before, it was very surprising) I did not have as good of a recovery attempt as you. I moved the rear sway bar to one hole softer on one side and that resolved it for me for the rest of the weekend.

The odd thing about this spin was how the ABS interfered and allowed me to roll backwards back across the track even though I was hard both feet in.

I'm in FL too, I usually run with Florida Crown but their April and September events have landed on family birthdays the last few years. Will be there with FLC at RRR in January, I will look for you to say hi, the car looks great!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:33 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

So, having gone through hurricane matthew, around 2 miles from the beach, after clean up, it was time to head down to Sebring with Chin. Met a buddy down there and we had a fun time for the day.

Car ran well - a little hot on the oil and may want to put an oil cooler in next spring. I am running a little heavier oil. Water temp could be 10-15 degrees lower as well.

I still have a lot to learn with this mid-engine platform. Here's a quick video from my last session...

http://youtu.be/0g_Ke32s6_g
Great video, nice line but man you need to push more to play with the big boys in gtb1. Just kidding...

Dont downshift in 3rd in corner 1
Also, u downshift in 2nd gear a little further(dont remember the corner # ) no need ,

Only 2nd gear on this track is the hotel

Every corner, u can go much more faster, do less coasting, attack the corner more

View my video, it will help you to compare your speed . It was my 1st time driving the cayman(new build) and 3rd time at sebring

Old 10-11-2016, 07:58 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paseb
Great video, nice line but man you need to push more to play with the big boys in gtb1. Just kidding...

Dont downshift in 3rd in corner 1
Also, u downshift in 2nd gear a little further(dont remember the corner # ) no need ,

Only 2nd gear on this track is the hotel

Every corner, u can go much more faster, do less coasting, attack the corner more

View my video, it will help you to compare your speed . It was my 1st time driving the cayman(new build) and 3rd time at sebring

https://youtu.be/o_ei6E4GqXc

That is VERY helpful and the tips are invaluable! I felt like I was shifting into 2nd too often, and watching your video confirms that.

In addition to it being a new platform for me, the driver (me) was not fresh. After moving my office out of harms way from Matthew, prepping my house (shutters/etc), cleanup around yard/neighbors/parents, then driving 4 hrs to sebring arriving midnight, I was not in the best condition.

I will be fresh next time and will take your pointers with me. I need to just gain confidence in the car and grip.

Thanks again for the help! I appreciate it, Seb.

Erez
Old 10-11-2016, 08:00 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steved0x
I spun in the exact same spot a few weeks later with Coastal region in my 986 Boxster in my 2nd session. (I've been to RRR a lot of times and never been in trouble in that corner before, it was very surprising) I did not have as good of a recovery attempt as you. I moved the rear sway bar to one hole softer on one side and that resolved it for me for the rest of the weekend.

The odd thing about this spin was how the ABS interfered and allowed me to roll backwards back across the track even though I was hard both feet in.

I'm in FL too, I usually run with Florida Crown but their April and September events have landed on family birthdays the last few years. Will be there with FLC at RRR in January, I will look for you to say hi, the car looks great!
That's the first time I have spun out there. After adjusting the sway bars, it helped... Though I think I'm mostly to blame for my spin. More experience!!

Quick Reply: Building my Cayman S Race Car