Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust removal issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 04:31 PM
pecivil
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default exhaust removal issue

Trying to install a fabspeed catback on a 2010 Cayman base and ran into a big problem trying to unbolt the cat to pipe connection. 3 bolts, none of which have hex heads on the cat side to grab to try to undo, and the nuts on the pipe side are rusted and sockets wont grab em but will round them.

Am I missing a secret or is running a sawzall blade between the union to cut the bolts the only way?

TIA

Last edited by pecivil; 01-12-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Cman21
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could try soaking the rusted bolts & nuts with PB Blaster to remove the rust. Let them soak for about 20 minutes.
Good luck !

Cman21
Old 01-11-2016, 09:36 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cman21
You could try soaking the rusted bolts & nuts with PB Blaster to remove the rust. Let them soak for about 20 minutes.
Good luck !

Cman21
If this doesn't work go ahead and cut them, they tend to break during removal and should be replaced during install.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:59 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

There are no bolt heads on the cat side because those are actually pressed-in studs.

I hate to say this, but in cases like this, it's usually best to get the nuts off any way you can and then replace the studs with bolts. The studs will usually snap off as soon as you can get a good grip on the nuts. Then, use an oxyacetylene torch, heat the stud heads red-hot and use a punch & hammer to push out the studs from the gasket side of the flange (push the studs towards the cat).

Even if you can get some of the nuts to come off without breaking the studs, you should still replace the studs.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:54 PM
pecivil
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for all the help! I will try PB blaster and if not then cut. The studs without hex heads sure seem like a dumb way to do this connection. Definitely will use hex head bolts when replacing.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:12 PM
mitch48
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found this thread, so hope you have already gotten the bolts off. I had the same problem when removing my exhaust to do a clutch job last year. I broke some of the nuts off getting everything removed, but I ended up taking the header/cats off to get a good angle to drive the studs out with a hammer and punch. I heated them up with my propane torch and they popped off easily. I just replaced them with regular nuts and bolts.

Quick Reply: exhaust removal issue