Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specing a gt4. Pccb or not to pccb?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 07:17 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Specing a gt4. Pccb or not to pccb?

Hi I went in today and specked out a GT four because my spot came up and I am wondering if PCCB is a wise choice given their $7500 cost. I was told many people take them off even if they get them to preserve them

Thoughts?

You can assume that I am indifferent with regards to track duty

So I guess my primary question is whether it is beneficial for resale value

It appeared everyone else with orders in at the dealer also selected pccb

Last edited by nowata; 11-21-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:59 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is a hard one-

-personally, id spec this car the way you want it, and will use it. if your not going to use it for hard track duty then i wouldn't get PCCB.

Regardless of the speculation on these cars right now, I don't think its clear that they will be worth a huge premium down the road. given that, for me and given now much these cars cost, I'd spec this the way I want to use.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:06 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with 7391420. He's wicked smaht!!!!

Another thing to keep in mind besides initial cost and usage is maintenance as PCCB rotors are ~$4,000 each. Yes, each, so a brake job could well cost 20 grand.

Good luck,

Eddie
Old 11-21-2015, 09:15 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

The common thinking including GT3 owners seems to be that if you are going to track the car regularly do not get PCCBs because of the eventual replacement cost. Unless of course cost is no object as they perform well and do save unsprung weight. There is also the risk of chipping a rotor when changing wheels. I've heard from Porsche and Brembo engineers that the current 3rd gen PCCBs are up to track use but there is limited data so far to support. For a mostly street driven car the PCCBs are reported to generate less dust and in that service will last a long time.

Last edited by zedcat; 11-21-2015 at 09:17 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-22-2015, 01:01 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

As previously mentioned if you're going to track this GT4 (why else would you buy it) don't do PCCB's. Replacement costs (rotors) are $$$$$$. If you don't plan to track go GTS w/ PCCB (IMHO).
Old 11-22-2015, 01:04 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AP997S
As previously mentioned if you're going to track this GT4 (why else would you buy it) don't do PCCB's. Replacement costs (rotors) are $$$$$$. If you don't plan to track go GTS w/ PCCB (IMHO).
I tend to agree but this seems counter intuitive

Isn't the whole point of pccb to create an ultimate track weapon?

Ultimate regardless of expense perhaps?
Old 11-22-2015, 01:14 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata
I tend to agree but this seems counter intuitive

Isn't the whole point of pccb to create an ultimate track weapon?

Ultimate regardless of expense perhaps?

Unless you have a very deep pocket most track cars go w/ steel. In fact a lot of folks convert to steel from carbon. 6 piston big brakes offer enough stopping power and don't eat into the pocket book like carbon rotors do. You also have a larger selection of pads to choose from.

I had PCCB's on my old 997S (that I never tracked) and they were great. Extra long life, clean, quiet, etc.

Your money, your car . . . Ultimately do want you want.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 11-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I was doing routine high level track duty I really think I'd want PCCB's.

The extra fade resistance, lower in-sprung weight are key advantages. If you are running hard on a track and enter a corner to hot- you want the extra braking power and likely - at that moment at least..won't care about the cost of servicing
Old 11-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Search in the GT3 or GT4 forums - been discussed to death.

Most hard-core track junkies use cast iron brakes. Now, if they have a sponsor paying for replacements, then PCCB might make sense.

Stopping distance is essentially the same for iron or ceramic rotors. Ceramics are more fade resistant, but the GT4 iron brakes are already massive overkill. They are the same brakes found on a GT3 or 911 Turbo - cars that are much heavier and have more power. The cast iron brakes are more than adequate for a GT4! Peddle feel is better too, but that's subjective.

The PCCB's will make less brake dust. How many times can you get your car detailed for $7500?

As far as resale, should make no difference. The GT4 will be relatively uncommon as it is - options won't matter (except perhaps the seats).

Another thing to consider - a friend of mine had some gravel get between the rotor and caliper on a PCCB-equipped car. Scored the rotor and he had to replace both front rotors (they are only sold as a set). Happened on the road, not a track.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:45 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

While I think they look cool, offer some tangible benefit for reducing unsprung weight and I think PCCB's have come a long way but, I still spec'd my GT4 with standard brakes because:
1. Even the standard brakes on the GT4 are arguably overkill.
2. The high initial cost coupled with replacement cost just don't offset the benefits to me
3. I bought this car for me, not the next buyer. While I think the GT4 will likely depreciate less than any other Cayman derivative, I'm of the mind set that cars are AWFUL financial decisions and so I buy cars in the color, spec, and trim that I want. The next guy can worry finding the "right" used car. My SA was polite but very adamant that my specin'g my last 911 in GT Silver over full red interior with non-power sports seats was a TERRIBLE idea. He said it would be nearly impossible to sell. I loved that car as spec'd every day I drove it and I sold it in a NY minute at well over KBB, etc. Lucky, perhaps but if I'm paying this much money for something, I want to enjoy it the way I want it... not the next owner.
4. As often as you'll find someone who "has to have" PCCB, you're just as likely to find someone who wants standard brakes.

Orders at the dealer do not make a good lithmus test. Often dealers order the highest spec car just because they want to pad their bottom lines. Look in the GT4 sub-forum here and I think you'll find that a significant majority of delivered cars have standard brakes.

Good luck.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:06 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i spec a car on how i want to use it.........not re-sale or maintenance cost.....if you have to ask you need to go cheap
Old 11-24-2015, 10:31 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=
Orders at the dealer do not make a good lithmus test. Often dealers order the highest spec car just because they want to pad their bottom lines. Look in the GT4 sub-forum here and I think you'll find that a significant majority of delivered cars have standard brakes.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

ive seen two delivered and 5 incoming orders and they were all pccb which is partly why I asked the question

But I happen to know the others are more well heeled than me no pun intended

I went steel
Old 11-25-2015, 09:32 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Good choice on steel. I've been driving Caymans for 8 years including 144 track days. I ordered my GT4 with steel rotors.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:48 PM
LaSource
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Although the general advice to go steels is sound, there are now much cheaper PCCB replacement options than full cost oem. For example SICOM (Germany) will refurbish PCCB rotors cheaper than a new steel disc - I'm getting a set for my 997.2 RS so will report back soon.

...Surface Transform also provide an option.

I am a track junkie...but ended up speccing PCCBs on my GT4 (yet to arrive)...let's see if a regretful decision or an inspired one. I keep hearing about the improved performance of Gen 3 PCCBs on this lighter car...let's see.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:58 PM
Jomy195
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had PCCB on my 2010 GT3 and absolutely loved it! I purchased the car preowned certified so I did not incur the initial cost and sold the car after 40+ track days. After 40+ track days running in the red group, the rotors surface became very sandpaper like but still functions the same with changing the OEM pads every 5-6 days. The performance and feel is simply amazing and if money is no object like everyone says, I would definitely get it especially for track use.

Having said that, I ordered my GT4 with steel brakes.

Quick Reply: Specing a gt4. Pccb or not to pccb?