Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me Cayman r

Old 02-02-2016, 09:06 AM
RedSpyder
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

May I ask whether your 997 was a gen 2, a base or an S and what year? If a gen 2 S how does the R compare? I'm in two minds between a 2009 997 gen 2 S or a Cayman R which can be had for more or less the same money. Done the "drive both" thing but it's in reality to short to form a view. Have owned a 2007 Cayman S before and had a demo 997.2 4S for a few days but the latter reminded me too much of my 5 Series BMW. Admittedly the 4S seems like more car for the money. Also fully aware of the R fun factor. Just want some views of people who have owned both a 997 S and an R.
Your and views of others would be appreciated.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:42 PM
donoman
Racer

I've only driven a 997 C4S but that was a much larger feeling car. Do you track your cars? If so I would go for the Cayman R. If you tend to daily drive I would go for the 997S. Cayman R won't be as plush as a 997S
Old 02-09-2016, 12:44 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the wheels. Enjoy it.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:08 PM
Spoed
1st Gear

Thank you for the post donoman. No, I do not track my cars. I agree with your C4S remark. That's why it reminds me of the 5 Series BMW. It felt kind of distant if that makes sense? The Cayman R I tested was equipped with racing bucket seats and PDK. I like the real sporty feel but it may be too brutal to live with on a regular basis (say 3 times a week). It will not be a daily driver but the more I like a sports car, the more I drive it instead of the regular dd. The R is obviously down on power but because of the harshness it felt faster. The thing is I've always wanted a wide body 911 through its different series iterations. In my part of the world GTS is still too expensive. Do you think an R will be more special/ sought after a few years down the line than a C4S? Obviously not considering this as an investment.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:11 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 997 was a base Gen -1 C2.

I was also comparing 997-2's, and early 991's when I found this R.

Here's my take:

The 997's both gen 1 and 2 have more torque, but also feel (and are) heavier. I like the rear engine weight bias, but the immediacy that comes from the Cayman's chassis is unbeatable. I think this is true regardless of which model you look at. The Cayman is a car you can hop into and immediately feel like you get it. The 911 takes more time.

The R is just the most powerful and most developed of the first gen Cayman design. personally, I also like the fact that it's more analog than the current generation, and that things like the suspension aren't controlled by a computer. I also like the size and proportions of the car more than the new ones (I also think the 997 is gorgeous-and miss the sight of that rear end in my garage!)

You can't go wrong either way. if you don't need a back seat then I think the R is a really special car, and one that will likely hold its value. I also think it will be harder to find an R over time, while it will be relatively easy to find a nice 997

good luck with your decision
Old 02-16-2016, 04:24 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Congrats and enjoy in good health. Terrific looking car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me Cayman r