Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Cayman 2nd Gen check list

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 06:08 PM
PCAMax
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Cayman 2nd Gen check list

Hi everyone,

I'm on the market for a Cayman and I'm very well documented.
I am leaning towards a 2nd gen (2009-2012) 40-55K miles Cayman base/S, mainly for the peace of mind of not having and IMS engine.

The amount of informations on first gen Cayman is overwhelming but very scarce for the 2nd gen. I'm planning on doing a PPI but could anyone do me a check list of the car flaws, things to look for, etc. I read stories of strange noises in the powertrain, etc but information is nowhere as clear as first gen Cayman.

Also, how come so little 2nd gen Cayman are available on the used market (I haven't seen a single 'S'-s either, only Base-s) when there are so MANY used first gen Cayman S for sale. I assume mileage and depreciation curve is hitting but still, it's like 10:1.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2015, 09:09 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 295 Posts

These are great cars imo. Not really much to worry over. The water pump is a weak spot so check the maintenance records. For a 40k mi car, if not replaced already budget for it. And 40k is a major service so be sure it's been done and not deferred. Other stuff is pretty minor- clutch switch, window regulators have been things I've had to fix. PPI is a good idea. Also carfax for possible accident history (not always complete but a basic due diligence item). The 9A1 seems to be a reliable motor so far. Presume you're aware the 2.9 is not DFI, while the 3.4 is. One reason there are fewer 2nd gen cars is the financial crisis and economic downturn beginning late 2008. There are good cars out there just takes more effort to find them. Good luck in the search.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:42 PM
PCAMax
Intermediate

Thanks for the advices.
I'll probably go through a good round of maintenance with an oil change as I get the car so I'll budge that water pump as well. Is there a way to prevent it or is it 'when it break, you replace it' ?

Also, I live in CA and will probably buy the car out of state. Are there any smog regulation problem I could encounter with US Cayman coming from different part of the country?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2015, 12:12 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 373 Posts

Bringing one into calif. is no problem, just be prepared to pull the carpet off the engine cover to show the DMV the emissions sticker.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:18 PM
PCAMax
Intermediate

Asides from that, anyone knows a good ressource for quality DIY maintenance tips for this generation cayman? That could be a youtube channel, a book or a rennlist thread..
Thanks
Old 11-09-2015, 07:06 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Avoid the CDR 50 radio. To OP, the price seems to be going up fast on CS version: Earlier this year I wrote to Excellence with my $33k purchase of an '09 19k mile CS nicely optioned, and the published response was buyer paid going rate, or some such. Latest buying guide from Excellence has the price topping out at $50k. There were relatively few CS models made, which is driving up the price.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:25 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

budget and how will the car be used ?
Old 11-09-2015, 02:12 PM
PCAMax
Intermediate

I figured the price must be crazy for the 2nd gen CS, 33K nicely optionned is very good. congrats.

My budget is around $26-27K (with DMV registration that's 30K right there).
I saw a member selling is '09 with 50K miles for 24.5K on the classified, still bitter I saw that ad too late. I'm waiting for oppotunities like this to show up.
I'm 27 yo so it's a big chunk of money, that's why I would rather have the peace of mind of the 2nd gen to avoid catastrophic failures (even though they're incredibly rare).
The car would be used as a weekend driver, occasionally daily driver (I usually bike to work in LA, lucky). I'm planning on clocking around 6000 miles a year on the car maximum.

I'm not afraid of doing a bit of basic DIY maintenance on the Cayman but I'm mainly looking for the peace of mind of a low-miles reliable car.

Any thoughts or advices appreciated.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:36 PM
extanker
Banned

a low optioned base will fit your needs. find a shop near you that can do some work that you cant do. while do not turn down a good deal S ,the base on 17 inch rims is MUCH smoother riding. Both cars are way under powered so get used to that now rather than later. PDK is great
Old 11-09-2015, 04:26 PM
PCAMax
Intermediate

That's what I'm looking at, yes. LA has several good shops, I don't have experience with any of them yet but places like EuroSpec Motoring have excellent reviews.

About the rims diameter, what do you mean with MUCH smoother riding? I'm confused, is the base 2009 cayman comes standard with 16" or 17" rims? You advise going for the larger ones, right?(the S rims look so much better IMO).

As for comfort option, navigation and such, I don't really care. Sport chrono looks neat but wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. PDK would be nice.

Under powered, as the Base model is sluggish?
Old 11-09-2015, 06:03 PM
extanker
Banned

iirc the s comes with 18/19 inch rims with a low profile tire the base has 17 inch and more tire. when i bought new in 09 i road tested way too many....one s rode so harsh i brought it back after 1 block. they are under powered as in no real torque.....porsches are about revin the snot outta every gear and hoping you get to the turn first.....there are many cars out there that will pick on ya...even pick up trucks.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:02 PM
PCAMax
Intermediate

That doesn't sound good, ha.

What was wrong with the car you test drive to feel that harsh?
so you're advising going for the standard 17" rather than larger S one on the base?
Old 11-09-2015, 07:40 PM
extanker
Banned

you have not driven one yet have you ?
Old 11-09-2015, 07:43 PM
PCAMax
Intermediate

I have driven a 911, modern and old. Not a Cayman yet no, I'm planning on finding local cars to test drive but also don't want to bull**** the seller if my only intent is to test drive and not buy.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:53 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PCAMax
I have driven a 911, modern and old. Not a Cayman yet no, I'm planning on finding local cars to test drive but also don't want to bull**** the seller if my only intent is to test drive and not buy.
you won't have to worry about wheel size or ride comfort if you get the PASM option. Two settings, street or track. Both learn the road surface and adjust for comfort or sport. IMHO the S is NOT underpowered. This coming from someone who interchanges between a CS at 320 HP and a 996 turbo with 420 HP.

Quick Reply: Used Cayman 2nd Gen check list