Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Cayman 2nd Gen check list

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 11:33 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

IMO, the S is not underpowered, and the base also has enough power unless you are on a long track.
Those who say Porsches are underpowered are often comparing against the torque of larger 6 and 8 cylinder engines, and I used to think this way too because I was used to muscle cars.
One of the things that makes a Porsche different is the performance of the engine in the 3.5K - 5.5K RPM range. Until I learned to keep the RPMs up in my Porsches I too thought they were underpowered and kind of "dull".

As others, I have found that there is a fair amount of difference in ride smoothness between 17" and 19" wheels sizes. I have not experienced PASM, so I cannot tell how much that would compensate for the brittle ride of larger diameter wheels.

As far as a checklist for the 987.2 generation, I would say that it would be very similar to the 987.1 generation. There is no IMSB to worry about of course, but otherwise the maintenance and repair items are pretty much the same. A good PPI goes a long way toward discovering any necessary repairs, and I consider maintenance history to be even better at determining the long term health of a car.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:25 AM
PCAMax
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, have you driven a Cayman base before? How different did it feel?
I wouldn't spit on the extra hp of the CS but I'm not going to track this car so the stock 265hp sound alright. I'm used to drive older cars with less power so I'm not too worried.

Otherwise, can someone explain me why the rim size seem to have such an impact on the ride smoothness and which rim size would you pick?
I like 18 and 19, 17 seems too small IMO.

thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 10:20 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by PCAMax
I wouldn't spit on the extra hp of the CS but I'm not going to track this car so the stock 265hp sound alright. I'm used to drive older cars with less power so I'm not too worried.

Otherwise, can someone explain me why the rim size seem to have such an impact on the ride smoothness and which rim size would you pick?

thanks
The aspect ratio. For 987.2 the 19in option is 235 and 265/ 35/ 19 and the 18in is 235 and 265/ 40/ 18. So the aspect ratio is the difference. Both are approx. the same diameter. So the taller sidewall is overall a somewhat smoother ride. Tire choice is also a factor. On my R switching from 19in RE-11 to 18in AD08, I can hardly tell the difference. R is pretty firm to start. My first Cayman was an 09 2.9L with PASM and 18s. I thought it was quite comfortable. For a street car 17in would be a fine choice- cheaper tires too. 18s will look better to most and imo the ride not that much harsher. Wheels are an easy mod of course. Lots of takeoffs and aftermarket choices.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:27 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, have you driven a Cayman base before? How different did it feel? I wouldn't spit on the extra hp of the CS but I'm not going to track this car so the stock 265hp sound alright. I'm used to drive older cars with less power so I'm not too worried. Otherwise, can someone explain me why the rim size seem to have such an impact on the ride smoothness and which rim size would you pick? I like 18 and 19, 17 seems too small IMO. thanks
have not driven a base to compare it to the S. Just have a twin turbo to compare, and to older, other models such as a 996 C4S that was wicked fast out of the chute. Do check out PASM and get any size wheel you want.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

thanks
I have an 09 S (PDK) and my wife has a 13 Base Boxster (6 spd) and there is a fairly substantial difference between the two cars, enough that she wasn't crazy about hers at first. Once I showed her that her car indeed has enough power by keeping the revs up and pushing it, she loves the car now. If you live/travel on nasty roads I would go with 18's with a bigger sidewall (and they are slightly cheaper). 17's will somewhat limit your tire selection and won't really look right IMO.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:45 PM
PCAMax
Intermediate

Gary and Dave, are you pretty much saying that the base cayman isn't a good DD since I won't shift at 6.5k rpm on my neighboring roads and freeways?
An '09 S with PSM seems out of my budget.

Very useful advices on the tires, thanks. I'd probably go for a 18", could you link me to one of these tires with bigger sidewall? or just what your pick would be for comfort/occasional sporty drive rather than track/performance?

thanks all.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Gary and Dave, are you pretty much saying that the base cayman isn't a good DD since I won't shift at 6.5k rpm on my neighboring roads and freeways?

Very useful advices on the tires, thanks. I'd probably go for a 18", could you link me to one of these tires with bigger sidewall? or just what your pick would be for comfort/occasional sporty drive rather than track/performance?

thanks all.
Not at all, i'm saying that to get maximum performance you need to push it a bit, but that holds true for all Porsche cars in my opinion. The base Cayman would make a fine DD.As for tires, it sounds like the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 would be a good choice, but you would need 225/40/18 and 255/40/18 in that tire to keep 40 series tires. I happen to have 4 225/40/ZR18's that have under 1000 miles on them for sale CHEAP, came off my wifes BMW before we traded it. Great 3 season tire in the Northeast, year round in non-snowbelt areas..
Old 11-15-2015, 07:59 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

thanks all.
If you don't mind I'll chime in on the tires- for summer tires in 235/265- 40-18, the Mich Pilot Super Sport is hard to beat. Tirerack is a good resource for info and reviews. I had a 09 base 2.9l for about 3 years used mostly for weekend fun drives and thought it was great. Loves to rev. You don't have to redline it, just let it spin up a bit.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:14 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks all.
Not in the least. Buy the car you want. Base cayman is fine for street driving.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Alec11
2nd Gear

Hey guys, new to the forum here. I am also looking to buy a Porsche Cayman base or S or boxster base or S. I am planning to spend between 40-51 k CAN $. I've done a lot of research and feel comfortable to be a DIY kinda guy with my car. I've literally checked everywhere on the internet of an average cost of maintenance per year to own a P car.

Im going to use this as a weekend car, so I was wondering can this beauty last me 20 to 30 years with regular maintenance such as reg oil changes? In my retirement i would splurge on a C2S or wtv catches my eye at that point. Please do not say like every person on the internet who doesn't know cars "If you ask about maintenance, you can't afford it"". Im simply trying to determine what it usually costs a regular owner.

1) What is the average costs per year with the car in CAN $ if poss for a weekend car that will be used. I will not be afraid to put kms on it because my goal is to keep it.
2) Is it only 911s that can last 20-30 years or can a cayman bought used with PPI and me doing the work regularly last me a nice 20-30 years without major services that would cost me 4-5k. (yes i know a new car can have unforeseen problems such as with a used car, but some cars are known to break)

Thanks for any tips, i really appreciate the advice and comments and the love for Porsche. Im obsessed with this badge and cant seem to shake it off
Old 04-08-2016, 01:17 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Alec11
Hey guys, new to the forum here. I am also looking to buy a Porsche Cayman base or S or boxster base or S. I am planning to spend between 40-51 k CAN $. I've done a lot of research and feel comfortable to be a DIY kinda guy with my car. I've literally checked everywhere on the internet of an average cost of maintenance per year to own a P car.

Im going to use this as a weekend car, so I was wondering can this beauty last me 20 to 30 years with regular maintenance such as reg oil changes? In my retirement i would splurge on a C2S or wtv catches my eye at that point. Please do not say like every person on the internet who doesn't know cars "If you ask about maintenance, you can't afford it"". Im simply trying to determine what it usually costs a regular owner.

1) What is the average costs per year with the car in CAN $ if poss for a weekend car that will be used. I will not be afraid to put kms on it because my goal is to keep it.
2) Is it only 911s that can last 20-30 years or can a cayman bought used with PPI and me doing the work regularly last me a nice 20-30 years without major services that would cost me 4-5k. (yes i know a new car can have unforeseen problems such as with a used car, but some cars are known to break)

Thanks for any tips, i really appreciate the advice and comments and the love for Porsche. Im obsessed with this badge and cant seem to shake it off
There is no real way to answer your question if you are asking about what you will spend in the year 2036 or 2046. That is way too far out into the future to predict anything. Heck, we may not be able to drive gasoline powered cars by then........
And maintenance costs can vary considerably year to year
You may not spend much beyond oil, filters, spark plugs, etc. for years, and then you might find the shifter cable breaking, the water pump leaking, the AOS leaking, etc. and you will be into several thousand dollars in short order.

Compared to the average car Porsches are expensive to maintain. Parts are expensive, Dealer labor is extremely expensive, and many repairs and maintenance are labor intensive.
Doing maintenance yourself will save quite a bit a money, but there will eventually be components that wear out and break that you will likely not be able to replace or repair yourself.

I can give an example from my own experience.
In six years I have spent about $1,600 in maintenance on my '06 Cayman S which is just a weekend and good-weather car for me. I do nearly all of my own maintenance and this cost is just oil, filters, battery, brakes, belt, etc. No real repairs have been needed.
I've also spent about the same amount in modifications that I've undertaken, and then another $1,500 in tires.
Within the next 5 years, there will likely be $3,000 to $5,000 in more major maintenance and repairs needed in addition to the approx. $300/year plus tires that I have been spending.
If you don't have a several thousand dollar repair budget saved up, you might reconsider whether buying a used Porsche (or any high performance car for that matter) is a good idea.
IMO, Porsches are worth their cost, but they are not low budget machines.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Im going to use this as a weekend car, so I was wondering can this beauty last me 20 to 30 years with regular maintenance such as reg oil changes?
No car will " last 20 to 30 years with regular maintenance such as reg oil changes" unless you don't drive it, and even then tires, belts, and anything made of rubber that is a wear item will eventually need to be replaced to say nothing of mechanical and electrical parts that simply stop functioning properly.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:28 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are worried about longevity, when it comes to performance cars, well they don't get much better than Porsche. Look through for sale ads where you can a substantial number of older, high mileage, well maintained cars. Why, first just good ole plain engineering as a foundation. Second, Porsche owners like to drive. Also, most Porsche owners don't skimp on routine maintenance and major wear item replacement. (Okay not always true of 944, 914 and 928 owners and some 996 owners now too.)

I have a 1987 944 Turbo with well over 225K miles on it. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long trip at all. In fact, I regularly track it where it's rock solid. I attribute this all to all it's owners maintained it. Everything from regular fluid changes, belt and hose servicing, fuel line servicing, suspension bushings replaced as they aged...you name it, if it was a wear item, it was serviced when it was needed.

Find a car with solid service records, don't skimp on any service need or interval and DRIVE THE CAR. All the servicing in the world will be undermined by a lack of use. Tires get flat spots, seals, gaskets and hoses dry out and vermin get in make a home and do all kinds of damage. Mice sure do like to chew on electrical wiring for some reason. They also love to devour insulation, seat foam and such to use as nesting material.

So go find that car then drive it like you stole it!
Old 04-08-2016, 07:06 PM
Alec11
2nd Gear

Thanks for the replies guys really appreciate it.

1)SPOKAYMAN: Thanks for the detailed info! The maintenance list you do yourself on the car (oil,belt,brakes etc) is what I want to do. I am no mechanic so definitely aware of unforeseen repairs or repairs i simply can't do will cost more than a honda. Thing I will need to search is for indy garages in Montreal to avoid paying dealer costs that are expensive for nothing.

2) GARY R.: What i meant was that if i followed all regular maintenance schedules, so changing oil, fluids etc without cheaping out, I wanted to know if a cayman was as solid as a 911 which some are 30 years or older and still work!

3)CATAMOUNT: Wow that is truly amazing. As you saw in my posts, my goal isnt to garage queen the car and service at dealers to have a higher resale because I want to keep the car for a very long time, maybe even bury it (if it dies since it seems they really are bullet proof ) I'm planning on using it as a weekend car and not to DD it to make it much more enjoyable. I will put KMS and will use it 6 months a year, but I am now more confident I can keep that car for a long period of time.

I see most owners mainly only do oil changes, fluid flushes when it reaches time to change and basically thats all unless some major service occurs which i guess can be different for each car/owner. I am ok to budget, but just afraid it will cost 2k-3k a year to run. I dont include tires or breaks because that depends the driver and to me is not really maintenance. Thanks for answering and still looking for information of maintenance costs down the line (6 years or more of ownership) since i will not purchase new, and problems usually don't occur at the beginning. Your input is appreciated and I can't wait to purchase this beast and join a Porsche club and do some rallies.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

2) GARY R.: What i meant was that if i followed all regular maintenance schedules, so changing oil, fluids etc without cheaping out, I wanted to know if a cayman was as solid as a 911 which some are 30 years or older and still work!
As a previous owner to a 5 air cooled 911's I think what you fail to understand is that it costs 10-20K to rebuild (any) air cooled 911 motor. If you think you can go 20-30 YEARS without digging deep into your pocket somewhere along the line for ANY Porsche you need to re-assess your car choice. There is no magic potion or oil or prayer to avoid a major issue, it's luck of the draw when all things are equal. I just read an article where they stated that you should change the oil frequently to avoid IMS issues in early (97-2008) water cooled boxer engines. It's an idiotic statement if you know why IMS bearings fail, but it was in a major publication..

Last edited by Gary R.; 04-09-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Used Cayman 2nd Gen check list