Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion on this 2008 987 S Sport Edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:20 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Opinion on this 2008 987 S Sport Edition

Hey Guys,

I have yet to call on the car as of now, but intend to. Before I do can you all opine on the value of the Sport Edition. Asking 34,950.

The car is minimally optioned but it appears that the Sport Edition comes with most of what I would want anyway.

It is a 2008 Black on black wheels, with black interior. 37k miles. Only option appears to be Preferred Pack. I am happy that it does not have nav.

From the pictures it appears to have adjustable suspension, a "sport button" but I do not know what that includes.

It seems all desirable features that I would seek out on a Cayman S are included in this model.

I put the Vin into the decoder and it appears the MSRP was $69k. What would be a good price to pay for this car assuming there are no stories or issues? Carfax shows 2 owners and no accidents.
Attached Images     

Last edited by LISsailor; 10-28-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:32 PM
LISsailor
Pro

It appears that this car is a decent deal and desirable. Please let me know what you guys think.

From Wikipedia:

Porsche also announced the production of a limited edition Cayman S Sport, which was available in October 2008 as a 2009 model.[13] This version of the Cayman S includes PSE (Porsche Sports Exhaust), PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management), and Sport Chrono. The power is raised from 295 PS (217 kW) at 6250 rpm to 303 PS (223 kW) at 6250 rpm. The Cayman S Sport is the first Cayman to break 300 bhp from the factory.

The Cayman S Sport comes in Bright Orange and Signal Green (from the 911 GT3 RS), as well as Carrera White, Speed Yellow, Guards Red, Black, and Arctic Silver. The Cayman S Sport also features short shifter, sports seats, deviated color seatbelts, "Cayman S" striping on the door sides, black Porsche Design 19-inch wheels, various gloss black interior trims, gloss black side mirrors, stainless steel door sills with "Cayman S Sport" script, 5mm wheel spacers, and Alcantara steering wheel and shift **** from the 997 911 GT3 RS. The instrumentation does not include a hood. The body is lowered by 1 cm due to its PASM feature. A total of 700 were made.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:26 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

For me the color of the car is wrong. Way too much black going on.
However some people love it and it draws them.

I do like the equipment that the Sport Package includes, and I am also partial to special editions and believe they will almost always command and hold higher values.

I cannot comment on values for the Sport Edition specifically, but the price doesn't seem too bad if the car is near pristine and up to date maintenance-wise.
If you like the car (color, equipment, special edition, etc.) I think you would be wise to check it out further and find out maintenance and prior owner info - if available.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:54 PM
Cysco
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a solid car if you're into the color. S-Sports were IMO the best 987.1 Cayman. There won't be many options because most you'd want were standard.

The sport button is for sport chrono. Hit that button to make the throttle response "tighter".

If you want a black Cayman and you are OK with owning a 987.1 variant, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better one. Things to keep in mind:

At 32K miles, you're probably due for new Brakes soon. Check to see if what kind of life is left.
At 32K miles, you're entering the range where a new clutch might be in order. (mine went out at around 40k miles)

If you can get a inspection done at a reputable Porsche shop, do so. If you're cool with all the above and have done your research on the 987.1 cars (be sure you do your research) then I'd say go for it. Seems like a good deal for a rare car.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:09 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Are there significant reasons to not want a 987.1 variant? The tech is a non-issue for me as this will not be a daily driver. It would be nice, however, to play music from my phone via an aftermarket bridge to the stereo.

I will make sure brakes and clutch life is disclosed if any PPI is dont.

But the price seems in line with regular cayman s as far as I can tell.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:48 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by LISsailor
Are there significant reasons to not want a 987.1 variant? The tech is a non-issue for me as this will not be a daily driver. It would be nice, however, to play music from my phone via an aftermarket bridge to the stereo.

I will make sure brakes and clutch life is disclosed if any PPI is dont.

But the price seems in line with regular cayman s as far as I can tell.
A key difference from 987.1 to 987.2 is the motor. The .1 is M97 and the .2 is 9A1. The M97 has an IMSB although failures seem to be rare. The 9A1 has no IMS and is DFI with a little more power. There are reports of oil starvation tracking the M97. The 9A1 has better oiling and the general opinion is the 987.2 is a better choice for regular track use. For a weekend/ fun car nothing at all wrong with the 987.1 IMO. The CS Sport is a nice package. Price seems reasonable to me. Best of luck
Old 10-29-2015, 08:52 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Originally Posted by zedcat
A key difference from 987.1 to 987.2 is the motor. The .1 is M97 and the .2 is 9A1. The M97 has an IMSB although failures seem to be rare. The 9A1 has no IMS and is DFI with a little more power. There are reports of oil starvation tracking the M97. The 9A1 has better oiling and the general opinion is the 987.2 is a better choice for regular track use. For a weekend/ fun car nothing at all wrong with the 987.1 IMO. The CS Sport is a nice package. Price seems reasonable to me. Best of luck
Wouldn't the bump in power be negated by the Sport Edition tune? Seems like a wash to me.

Yes, no tracking here so I do not think the oiling is a major concern. Thank you for your input.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:04 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Wouldn't the bump in power be negated by the Sport Edition tune? Seems like a wash to me.

Yes, no tracking here so I do not think the oiling is a major concern. Thank you for your input.
I believe the 987.2 S was rated 320 hp, so a bit more than the 987.1 Sport. Yeah, not a big deal. Historically Porsche always ensures the next model has a few more hp and a few tenths quicker 0-60, etc.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:46 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Guys,

I have yet to call on the car as of now, but intend to. Before I do can you all opine on the value of the Sport Edition. Asking 34,950.
Seems like its essentially the coupe version of the 2008 Boxster Spyder RS60. Mostly an options equipped car, sport seats, leather interior, sport exhaust, 19" alloys, PASM and an extra 8 HP over the standard 2008 Cayman S/Boxster S engine (but no change in torque). I had an RS60 and it was a nice car really well equipped.

Overall, its the best of the gen.1 987 cars. Although, if you go with a gen 2 car, you don't have to deal with potential IMS issues (which although rare in the 2008 cars, can happen).

Originally Posted by Cysco
It's a solid car if you're into the color. S-Sports were IMO the best 987.1 Cayman. There won't be many options because most you'd want were standard.

The sport button is for sport chrono. Hit that button to make the throttle response "tighter".
In addition to changing the throttle response on cars with Sport Chrono, the sport button also turns on the sport exhaust, and changes PASM from normal to sport mode. Although, one can manually change PASM between sport and normal with a separate button.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a 2008 sport edition cayman s in stock and car came with sport exhaust option.
After looking at the buttons, there was no exhaust tips button.

Now you confirm me that the sport exhaust mod is with the sport button
Old 11-01-2015, 11:20 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
I have a 2008 sport edition cayman s in stock and car came with sport exhaust option.
After looking at the buttons, there was no exhaust tips button.

Now you confirm me that the sport exhaust mod is with the sport button
I haven't physically been inside a Sport Edition Cayman S. However, on the 2008 Boxster RS60...if not equipped with sport chrono, it had a butting with the image of exhaust tips to turn the sport exhaust on or off. However, on my old 2008 Boxster RS60 which had the sport chrono, there was not a button with the exhaust tip image to control the sport exhaust, instead the sport button turned the sport exhaust on and off (in addition to remapping the throttle and changing between normal and sport for PASM). Cheers!
Old 11-05-2015, 11:29 PM
scayden
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

The car is minimally optioned but it appears that the Sport Edition comes with most of what I would want anyway.

It is a 2008 Black on black wheels, with black interior. 37k miles. Only option appears to be Preferred Pack. I am happy that it does not have nav.

From the pictures it appears to have adjustable suspension, a "sport button" but I do not know what that includes.

It seems all desirable features that I would seek out on a Cayman S are included in this model.

I put the Vin into the decoder and it appears the MSRP was $69k. What would be a good price to pay for this car assuming there are no stories or issues? Carfax shows 2 owners and no accidents.
I looked at this car. It has sliver dollar size paint issue in the middle of hood that the dealer would have repaired if possible. Dent over rr wheel. Lots of road rash and scrapes underneath front. Lots of salt evidence on bottom of engine/exhaust so it spent time on the road in winter. It's also located in a Audi dealearship owned by same co. as the Porsche dealer next door. Looks like the P. dealer didn't want it. It looked rough enough to me that I didn't take it for test drive. If this sort of stuff does not bother you, go for it.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:39 PM
douglasf13
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys,

I think it's a cool car, if that's the color options you like.

Definitely get a PPI done. While all of us 987 Cayman owners have to worry a little about the IMS, it's very rare for them to go in these models. From what I've read, bore scoring is probably the bigger worry in the 3.4 engine (not really an issue in the 2.7.)
Old 11-13-2015, 09:06 PM
fuego
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always take a pic of the sticker on the front trunk lid. It should have a bunch of 3 digit codes. That will help figure out what the car is equipped with. $35K seems a bit high.

Quick Reply: Opinion on this 2008 987 S Sport Edition