Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are "MUST HAVE" options for a used Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 07:05 PM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What are "MUST HAVE" options for a used Cayman?

I decided to purchase a 06-08 Cayman S or 09 Cayman Base as my first Porsche. Since winter is approaching, I will not be purchasing anything soon, unless its a deal of a life time. This gives me enough time to do my research and wait for the perfect one.

So I would like to ask you, what are the MUST HAVE options when it comes to Caymans? What options would you get if you were in the market today? What options you didn't get and now regretting it? What options you got and never use them and kicking yourself for overspending?

My question is from convenience/enjoyment of the car, as well as resale value stand points.

I am open to all ideas.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2015, 07:30 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

budget and how will you be using the car ?
Old 09-24-2015, 07:32 PM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by extanker
budget and how will you be using the car ?
Budget around $25K. I don't mind higher mileage cars.

Will be weekend toy, weekend trips and around 5 days of autocross per season. Don't think I'll track it.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:38 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

based on your budget you might get lucky on an 09 base. i do not recommend 08 and down.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:44 PM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

based on your budget you might get lucky on an 09 base. i do not recommend 08 and down.
I have done my research on differences between 987.1 and 987.2 and I am feel confident that I will be happy with both of them.

That being said, I made this thread to discuss optional equipment that these cars come with. Budget is pretty irrelevant right now. Its only money... if I decide that my perfect car is more expensive, I'll spend more for it. Its not the end of the world. But this is not to say that I want to get every option out there just to have it.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:52 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

doubt that. They are quite a bit higher, no? Find one that has all records, higher miles shouldn't scare you. Mine has some nice track features: PSM, SSK, LSD, not sure if those are helpful for auto cross or not.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:52 AM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

Again, budget is not the question right now.

Also, I have seem plenty of them in different price ranges over the last few weeks that I have been keeping track. For example, 07 CS with no options, 100K miles, all records sold for $15K yesterday. I saw a few on this forum in my range as well.

Please lets not discuss the prices here. I made this thread to get input on options.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2015, 03:40 PM
fizzyl
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat as you, so far my shopping list includes PASM, Sport Chrono, LSD and a third pedal.

I can add a short shifter myself and all of the interior options don't matter to me. I'd rather have 18 inch wheels though.

I'm looking for a 09+ S as I plan to occasionally track it.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:10 PM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LSD is a must for auto-x work. Need upgraded suspension too, so get one with either PASM or the X73 (correct code?) sport suspension. If you want to go fastest then go with the PDK transmission. Universal audio interface gets you at least a 3.5 mm input on the audio system.

I just got an '09 CS with PDK, PASM, LSD, sport exhaust, sportchrono without pcm, 19" wheels (also carbon fiber trim, factory fire extinguisher, heated seats, red seatbelts, Bluetooth, and automatic climate control). Other than colors, it was spec'd out perfectly for me - all the Go and just a pinch of Show.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:13 PM
VehiGAZ
Rennlist Member

And a $25 Kenu cell phone holder instead of nav!
Old 10-08-2015, 06:55 PM
dennisafrompa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Well......

I enjoy '08 base I just bought and I'm guessing it really has no options except 18" S wheels, which I like. Basic Black I call it. Oh yes and it has 88K miles and all the chips and scratches that come with that. It runs Grrrrrreat. I park it anywhere.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:15 AM
FlyIce99
2nd Gear

I'm in the same boat as OP, thinking about buying a used Porsche as my 3rd car. My budget is under $30k but better to be close to $20k. 911s in this price range are all very old. What kind of Cayman (year + mileage) I can realistic expect to have?

to Dennisafrompa, would you mind me to ask how much you paid for your '08 base? Thanks!

Yang
Old 11-16-2015, 01:49 AM
dc7
Intermediate

LSD wasn't available in 987.1 cars that I'm aware of. For your purposes I'd say: PASM, 6sp (unless you find a cheap 987.2), sport seats, sport chrono, and PSE if you can find it. Roughly in that order. PASM lowers the car 10mm and provides a choice of firming/softening the dampers based on what you're using the car for at that given time. Sport seats are one thing my car doesn't have that I wish it had, just because they help hold you in place a little better during hard cornering. Sport chrono is fun but really doesn't offer a performance advantage, just the perception of such (in manual/non pdk cars). While a lot of people dislike the dash "wart" I kind of like it. PSE is pretty rare in 987.1 cars, and again, doesn't offer a performance gain. I went aftermarket for my exhaust.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:59 AM
dc7
Intermediate

If I bought another 987.1 today, without the intent of mods, ideally it would have PASM, Sport Chrono, Heated Sport Seats, 19s, bi-xenons, auto dimming mirrors, sport steering wheel, and loads of carbon/leather options. It probably wouldn't be a bright color, either.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:37 AM
fearundersteer
AutoX

I just purchased a 2008 Cayman S in earl November, I think really good value is possible if you can accept some higher mileage as this deters most buyers.

It depends what you value personally but I think the Sports Chrono package is a must. Not only does the sport button make the accelerator much more sensitive, I have really enjoying playing with the chronograph (surprised!), and if I ever take the car to the track I think it will be really purposeful.

That aside, I think trying to get a car with full leather in the used market goes a long way to making this car feel much more upscale, something you are going to see constantly anytime you get into the car. In addition given, given the price point these cars were new, I would not accept one without Bi-Xenon headlights.

I also think the 911 Turbo wheels from the 997 generation are the best looking wheels ever made. Not something that would be hard to swap onto you car but if is already on the vehicle it will save you a lot versus buying on your own.

Quick Reply: What are "MUST HAVE" options for a used Cayman?