Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman GTS Tire preference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 05:28 AM
StatusIV
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman GTS Tire preference?

Hello,
Let me first Introduce you to my history
(Actually my self since names doesn't matter here)
My first Porsche was Cayman 09' I've loved it but at certain moment I felt It's a bit outdated so I left porsche for about a year or so. then I bought Audi R8 V10 It's lovely In every time (It was a bit jerky at the beginning till I got used how to drive It) In terms of drifting It was too forgiving.. So I traded it with Ferrari 458 and that so far the most agile and nervous car I've driven. And along with it I've got back to my old love , Cayman GTS 15'
I've test driven 991 GT3 and to me It felt like a mixture between GTR (Stiffness) and F430 Scuderia (In more refined way..) but It's not for daily use , At least not for me,
Now back to Cayman GTS , It has enough power above 6k RPM and It's firm on bumpy roads but what I don't like about it so far that It is so grippy,
It has PZero tires.
My question Is MPSS would solve this and make it less grippy ?
Thanks In advance
Old 06-29-2015, 07:44 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Why would you want less grip?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:47 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

I agree with Lex, why would you want LESS grip?

The Michelins would provide MORE grip. I suppose you could go with all season or winter tires, but that sort of defeats the purpose of getting a CGTS in the first place.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:59 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

same response as the others... you want LESS grip?

suggest you buy a car with lower limits and use good tires still

that being said, what u may be meaning to say is to have a tire that has a softer sidewall so it is more comfortable less direct and darty in everyday driving... then go for a conti or a japanese (sumi, yoko, toyo) or korean (kumho, hankk) street sport tire... most have softer sidewalls than mpss or pzeros, trading handling response for more comfort and slower transitions

to answer your question at face value, go on tire rack punch in your car-- there are many tire choices in the summer max (not extreme) performance or all season performance category -- that should fit your bill if you are serious about wanting a less grippy tire than the mpss -- lot cheaper than mpss too
Old 06-30-2015, 12:24 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

One word in his question explains it all - 'drift'.

Buy a Subaru BRZ or other juvenile car. Problem solved.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:56 PM
StatusIV
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
One word in his question explains it all - 'drift'.

Buy a Subaru BRZ or other juvenile car. Problem solved.
You got it bro ! <3 It's very true but drifting In Porsche's Interior Is more exciting.

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
same response as the others... you want LESS grip?

suggest you buy a car with lower limits and use good tires still

that being said, what u may be meaning to say is to have a tire that has a softer sidewall so it is more comfortable less direct and darty in everyday driving... then go for a conti or a japanese (sumi, yoko, toyo) or korean (kumho, hankk) street sport tire... most have softer sidewalls than mpss or pzeros, trading handling response for more comfort and slower transitions

to answer your question at face value, go on tire rack punch in your car-- there are many tire choices in the summer max (not extreme) performance or all season performance category -- that should fit your bill if you are serious about wanting a less grippy tire than the mpss -- lot cheaper than mpss too
I've test driven 991 GT3 and It slides way more than my cayman so till I do the upgrade I'm looking to get the cayman to be close to GT3

Quick Reply: Cayman GTS Tire preference?