Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First water-pumper, back in a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 04:59 PM
NickinVic
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile First water-pumper, back in a Porsche

The itch got to me. ** Sorry don`t know how to re-size pictures **

I needed a daily-driver sports car, a Porsche specifically (if possible). Up until last August I had a Porsche for over a decade, ending in a hot-rod 3.5L 911 based on a '75 S. From the day it left until last Saturday the itch got worse every single day. I don`t love the 996+ gen 911`s as they`ve grown into more of a GT. 993 (S) vs Cayman (S) was my thought.

A friend called me saying there he had a nice Cayman that just got traded in. I basically said it's the S or nothing. He talked me into a test drive. As soon as I slid the key into the left-handed ignition everything felt right. Hips viewable from the side view mirrors, perfectly shaped rear view mirror, fenders framing the view forward -> I was in trouble.

Turn the key and damn, that's a flat6 behind me.

Now, the 2.7L Cayman is definitely not frantic, but wow does it feel good; and despite the lack of low end urgency it spins the tach rather nicely above 4k.

So it passed the anti-histamine test. Quality and fun sports car it is. But looking in the boot I thought, no way would it eat my golf clubs, let alone my hockey bag - plus where would my dog sit during the longer drives?

4 hours with the car later, and all my questions had been answered. Hockey bag fits (doesn't look like it should), dog loves the rear parcel shelf, some random blonde jumped in (joke, but she approved even though I was late) & than I was shaking hands on the price.

She`s stock right now, needs bluetooth for use-ability and might add NAV & iphone integration at the same time because CD`s are dead. But letting the engine breath a little more, maybe show a bit of it, and getting a few small details right can be expected in the future.

Happy to be back in the P-car Club. Would appreciate any advice regarding the car & best upgrades.

2007 Cayman, Silver, Black Leather heated seats, & I`m the second owner.
Attached Images     

Last edited by NickinVic; 06-24-2015 at 05:00 PM. Reason: pictures are HUGE
Old 06-25-2015, 01:24 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Good find Nik!
I assume from your username and the dealer plate holder that you are on Vancouver Island?
I would think that the Cayman would be a perfect car for island driving (not that it doesn't work well on the mainland too of course).

I too have found it surprising the amount of storage there is in a Cayman.
Though they are based upon the same chassis/platform, there is quite a bit more storage than in a Boxster.
I think there is a fairly active PCA chapter/region on VI, and I would urge you to check it out if you are not already a member.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:58 PM
NickinVic
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCA-VI is a great chapter! In my old 911 I was very involved and look forward to that again soon.

Seems like adding a functional bluetooth into this thing is a total pain in the a$$ ?

Quick Reply: First water-pumper, back in a Porsche