Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche -- what do to first with my new 2010 Cayman (other than drive it!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 11:04 AM
Cayman10-mhf
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Porsche -- what do to first with my new 2010 Cayman (other than drive it!!!)

Hello everyone here!

Just last night I because Porsche owner for the first time! I found a 2010 Cayman in amazing Guards Red with black wheels and my knees got weak!

Drove it home last night and I'll be out driving all day if I can (and if the crappin rain will stop here in Austin Texas).

So -- what should I be thinking about now (since this car is all I'm thinking about)!

I read about adding on the Sports Chrono -- how much will that cost and can it be done aftermarket without tearing up the car?

I really didn't know what I was doing -- it was totally an impulse buy -- so what should I look for. Anything important to check out?

I want to put a subtle pinstripe down the side to accentuate the curve, but don't want that full side stripe that says Porsche. Does anyone have pictures they can point me to showing different detailing options, especially if its a Red with black wheels.

Thanks to everyone, I expect to be hanging out here a bunch!

Marc
Old 06-21-2015, 04:57 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi. Just enjoy the car! Worth checking the service history. If serviced properly, just follow the regular service interval.

What else could you do? Number of things.
- Thorough detailing
- More aggressive alignment, in particular front axle
- Sport Chrono (without the watch in the dashboard)
- Take the car on a track

Ans show us some pics
Old 06-21-2015, 05:09 PM
Cayman10-mhf
4th Gear

Not the best, but I ran out to the garage and snapped one!
Old 06-21-2015, 06:14 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, just enjoy it few days without any mods!
Old 06-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Boiler Inspector
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Join the PCA. Get out to an AutoX or high performance driver's education event with your region (Hill Country PCA?).
Old 06-22-2015, 02:39 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice looking croc!
Check out the website for KI Studios (no affiliation) for some ideas of side stripes, etc.

For other common appearance changes:
You can change out your amber side marker lights for the European clear lights.
You can add wheel spacers to the front and particularly rear wheels to kick the wheels out so they are more flush fitting. 5-7MM front and 10-15MM rear seems common.

Before I did anything cosmetic though, I would go through the maintenance history and bring anything necessary up to current. If you don't have any history, it would be even more important to check things out.
Common maintenance items include:
-Oil/Filter change of course
-Brakes (condition of pads/rotors, and bleeding every 2 years)
-Serpentine belt replacement (more mileage dependent)
-Spark plugs (4 years and/or 40-60K miles depending upon what year the car is)
-Water pump at 40K-60K miles is a good idea
-Engine air & cabin air filters

Check your maintenance/warranty manual for these and other items for a complete list.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:58 AM
Cayman10-mhf
4th Gear

Thanks! Its a 2010 with 14k miles, apparently a doctor's seldom used toy and then traded in on a new Benz. My gain!

I like the idea of the clear side markers, I've seen that in a few pictures and I do think its a nice improvement. Is that something I can order/do myself or is that better left to a dealer? In the same line, are the engine and cabin filters something I should be able to handle. I have a toolbox but not what I would call mechanically inclined ...

Thanks again!

Marc
Old 06-22-2015, 11:32 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to the track. You'll be hooked.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:06 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman10-mhf
Thanks! Its a 2010 with 14k miles, apparently a doctor's seldom used toy and then traded in on a new Benz. My gain!

I like the idea of the clear side markers, I've seen that in a few pictures and I do think its a nice improvement. Is that something I can order/do myself or is that better left to a dealer? In the same line, are the engine and cabin filters something I should be able to handle. I have a toolbox but not what I would call mechanically inclined ...

Thanks again!

Marc
Low miles! Very cool.
I had a similar experience in that I bought my '06 with 12K miles when it was 4 years old.

Clear side markers are an easy DIY. Look around the internet for some DIY tutorials. You can buy them thru Suncoast Porsche, Sunset Porsche, ECS Tuning, Pelican Parts, or any of another 1/2 dozen such places. Or your local dealer.

The cabin air filter (gets dirty very quickly) is a very easy DIY. Again look for tutorials online.

The engine air filter is a bit harder because of the difficulty in getting to the engine (remove the carpeted cover in the car) and removing filter cartridge
out of the location it is in. Find the info online about this too and decide for yourself if you want to tackle it.

If you are not a member already, consider joining your local PCA. There is a Cayman specific forum you can join if you are a PCA member, and you will find some good maintenance, modification, and enthusiast info there.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:45 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations! Quite envious. I bought a 944 as a toy two months ago, and now am hooked. Saving for my Cayman S, probably 24 months out.

I hope it is a great experience.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:10 AM
GingerPowered
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Please do all of these things so I can take notes!
Old 01-18-2016, 04:17 PM
BoxCam
Intermediate

Ha, dont do anything, leave everything to the Porsche engineers. : )

Quick Reply: First Porsche -- what do to first with my new 2010 Cayman (other than drive it!!!)