Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add PDLS post production?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 01:21 PM
rs18
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add PDLS post production?

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm about to (hopefully) purchase a 2011 Cayman S (Sport Chrono package, PASM, PVT, buckets; it would be my first Porsche experience), and I've read a lot about PDLS, one of the features that this particular car doesn't have. If it's something that I wanted to install ... well, can that be done? I've literally searched for 7 days straight without an inkling of information whether this can or can't be done. Any resources or info you can offer would be awesome, regarding feasibility, cost, and where those parts might come from! Thanks!
Old 06-17-2015, 01:45 PM
Kelvin38
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm assuming with PDLS, you're refering to the Porsche Dynamic Lighting System. I've never read online about a retrofit post-purchase but according to Suncoast, you could theoretically buy the parts and have it installed. At a minimum, you will need the following:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...enonHeadlights
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99963103690.html
Old 06-17-2015, 02:44 PM
rs18
3rd Gear

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I mean the Dynamic Light System.

I've looked at Suncoast - I believe those replacement parts get me the Bi-Xenon headlights, but not the mechanics and wiring for PDLS, which I have read allows for the lights to swivel 15% as you corner, and adjust the direction/angle of the beam when it detects oncoming traffic, and as the pitch of the road you're driving (hills up or down) changes. I think this would at minimum require some electrical work, and the installation of a camera on the back of the rear view mirror, but, as you mention, I've yet to read of a post-production installation.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:00 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe give suncoast a call, I'm sure they could get an answer for you.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:42 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it. I think I noticed it once when turning into my driveway. Would never order it if given the option.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:37 PM
rs18
3rd Gear

Interesting. Would you say that's simply because it's not noticeable? Or that you'd rather have spent the money on something else?
Old 06-18-2015, 07:20 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the option, but I doubt I would miss it as long as the car had regular HIDs.

I notice the headlights swivel constantly on tight back roads and I feel it does make a difference. However, if I had to shell out $2k+ to retrofit I'd pass.

Quick Reply: Add PDLS post production?