Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for a Cayman.....<$30k

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 12:19 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shopping for a Cayman.....<$30k

Well......I've been around a while in the other forums.....'86 Widebody 911 Cab and 955 TT Cayenne.

Now....my wife has decided she is ready to make the plunge into a Boxster or perhaps a Cayman, either would probably work as long as its clean, no stories, white exterior and automatic. Willing to spend up to $30k for the RIGHT car.

I would appreciate any leads you guys could throw my way........

Thanks
Old 06-10-2015, 12:02 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't have any leads for you, but I can comment on what you might find for $30K or less.
The Cayman came out in 2006 (987.1 model) and you can find these up to 2008 in good condition for $30K or less.
The 2009 (987.2) Cayman might be under $30K in a clean example, but most low mileage clean ones are above that.
The "S" model will command a $5K-$10K premium over the base model.

The Boxster debuted in 1997 (as a 986 model) and was remodeled/upgraded a few times until the 987.1 model came out in 2005.
The 987.2 arrived in 2009 (same time as Cayman).
You should be able to find a good Boxster all the way thru about 2010 priced under $30K, with the "S" models higher by $3K-$10K.

As a price point, I just purchased a 2009 (987.2) Boxster base for about $26K.

As with most Porsches, the general rule of buying the latest model you can afford does apply. The decision to buy an "S" or not might actually be more difficult than which year/generation.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Spokayman

As a price point, I just purchased a 2009 (987.2) Boxster base for about $26K.
Thank you Spokayman......If I may ask, did you consider a Cayman or only the Boxster.

We may be headed over to Austin to see a 60k mile 2010 Boxster Base this weekend, its listed at 29.9k, so I guess that sounds like its priced about right assuming she passes the sniff test.

One thing that seems to get my attention (at least my limited research suggests so) is that the Boxster depreciates at a higher rate, seemingly much higher than the Cayman.....is this a fair observation ?
Old 06-11-2015, 10:28 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Presume you're familiar with the differences from 987.1 to 987.2? The .2, 2009 and later is an all new motor (no IMS) and the auto box is PDK vs tiptronic in earlier models. Maybe stating the obvious, but for a 60k car I'd really look close at maintenance records- oil changes, brake fluid flush, spark plugs should have been replaced at 40k and the drive belt replacement is due at 60k.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:49 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zedcat
Presume you're familiar with the differences from 987.1 to 987.2? The .2, 2009 and later is an all new motor (no IMS) and the auto box is PDK vs tiptronic in earlier models. Maybe stating the obvious, but for a 60k car I'd really look close at maintenance records- oil changes, brake fluid flush, spark plugs should have been replaced at 40k and the drive belt replacement is due at 60k.
Uh oh....now I'm showing my lack of research on these. I did know the IMS was a BIGGIE, but the all new motor for 2009 and later is something I had not read much on and is very good knowledge to have.

Thanks for the heads up on maintenance records.....I'll see if I can have those emailed to me prior to making the road trip. Its being offered by an outfit in Austin.....here is the link
http://www.applesi.com/Used-2010-Por...TX/vd/27818145
Old 06-11-2015, 11:03 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon123
Uh oh....now I'm showing my lack of research on these. I did know the IMS was a BIGGIE, but the all new motor for 2009 and later is something I had not read much on and is very good knowledge to have.

Thanks for the heads up on maintenance records.....I'll see if I can have those emailed to me prior to making the road trip. Its being offered by an outfit in Austin.....here is the link
http://www.applesi.com/Used-2010-Por...TX/vd/27818145
Looks nice. FYI, the wheels are 18in Cayman S wheels (optional on Boxsters). Looks like no Sport Chrono option. Some say that's a "must have" with PDk for the sport mode with faster shifts, launch control. The software can be added by the dealer but no dash clock (aka "wart").The MA1 motor in the base Boxster and Caymans is 2.9 liter and fuel injected. The S models got 3.4 liter with DFI. So far the motor seems reliable- generally a better reputation than the earlier M96 and M97. Much better oiling if you may track the car. I've owned 2 987.2 Caymans- great cars.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zedcat
Looks nice. FYI, the wheels are 18in Cayman S wheels (optional on Boxsters). Looks like no Sport Chrono option. Some say that's a "must have" with PDk for the sport mode with faster shifts, launch control. The software can be added by the dealer but no dash clock (aka "wart").The MA1 motor in the base Boxster and Caymans is 2.9 liter and fuel injected. The S models got 3.4 liter with DFI. So far the motor seems reliable- generally a better reputation than the earlier M96 and M97. Much better oiling if you may track the car. I've owned 2 987.2 Caymans- great cars.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge......I'm always humbled when reach out to you guys.

Since this is a wifey car and she would not know if she had a 2.9 or 3.4 , is there any glaring reliability differences that are commonly known between the two ? Id be willing pay up for reliability.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Turborascal
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apple Sport Imports usually has good cars and they're very nice to deal with.

I looked at some BMWs a couple of years ago and the cars were well-maintained and in good shape for their mileage.
(Ended up buying a CPO car from a Houston dealership).

I will note that they buy many cars at auction, so maintenance records may not be available.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turborascal
Apple Sport Imports usually has good cars and they're very nice to deal with.

I looked at some BMWs a couple of years ago and the cars were well-maintained and in good shape for their mileage.
(Ended up buying a CPO car from a Houston dealership).

I will note that they buy many cars at auction, so maintenance records may not be available.
Bingo.....I just heard back from them and they did suggest 'no maintenance records'. They apparently did do a thorough inspection, change fluids, a belt (serpentine?) and air filters. Will probably head over and check it out.

Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:17 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you Spokayman......If I may ask, did you consider a Cayman or only the Boxster.

One thing that seems to get my attention (at least my limited research suggests so) is that the Boxster depreciates at a higher rate, seemingly much higher than the Cayman.....is this a fair observation ?
We already had a Cayman and we were looking for a cabriolet and therefore the Boxster fit the bill.
Boxsters are less costly than Caymans to begin with, and I think I see that they depreciate more quickly than Caymans too. The "S" models of both seem to hold their value pretty well though.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:45 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Well....we test drove an '09 Cayman S this evening (private seller) and > my initial budget.
Stunning car......drives outstanding and an automatic (its for my wife). She had a smile on her face bigger than I have seen in a while. She had a blast driving it.

Car was solid.....all records.

80k miles ! I know this is just getting broken in for a well-cared for 3.2 911, but how are these Caymans ? What kind of problems would I start expecting to have at this milage ? I know the issues for the 911 (3.2's) and the Cayenne, but not yet well versed on the Caymans.

Love the car.....I'll search around a bit to see what I'd be getting myself into with this kind of well-documented milage....OTH, if anyone cares to share some knowledge, that would be terrific as well

Being this is a 2009 model year, my understanding is that it has no IMS ?

Last edited by Shannon123; 06-13-2015 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:14 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats and post pix when you can.

No IMS on Caymans > MY 2008.

The 987.2's are solid except for a couple exceptions I recall. Others may have info to add:

1) shifter linkage is prone to break with manual trannys.

2) water pumps seem to fail prematurely. Some warning will appear and these should be treated as a maint item and changed at 40,000 miles.

With the 987.2's only being 6 MY's old and PCARs are seldom used as DDs, there are very few high mileage examples out there. Yours is one of the higher mileage ones I recall seeing. Yours may end up being our high mileage test car if it is driven a lot.

Eddie

Well....we test drove an '09 Cayman S this evening (private seller) and > my initial budget.
Stunning car......drives outstanding and an automatic (its for my wife). She had a smile on her face bigger than I have seen in a while. She had a blast driving it.

Car was solid.....all records.

80k miles ! I know this is just getting broken in for a well-cared for 3.2 911, but how are these Caymans ? What kind of problems would I start expecting to have at this milage ? I know the issues for the 911 (3.2's) and the Cayenne, but not yet well versed on the Caymans.

Love the car.....I'll search around a bit to see what I'd be getting myself into with this kind of well-documented milage....OTH, if anyone cares to share some knowledge, that would be terrific as well

Being this is a 2009 model year, my understanding is that it has no IMS ?
Old 06-14-2015, 04:28 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Here is link to the car.....my wife woke up the day after the drive and told me she would now rather have an Escalade. I guess the size of the Cayman was just too small, even though she loved it......gotta love her practicality.

She did tell me, that if I wanted to sell my Cayenne, I could buy another Porsche car for myself......so, guess it may be me in the hunt now ! Having said that, I really like the new style for the Caymans.....I might just wait a couple years and buy it after it depreciates 30-40%. We shall see.....thanks for the help here anyhow.....I will be back!

Quick Reply: Shopping for a Cayman.....<$30k