Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cayman r prices and other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 01:50 AM
nrob
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cayman r prices and other stuff

I'm looking at a CR. what's the real value? List prices are high 60s, but nada, Edmunds etc are in the 50s.

Also, considering audi tt rs, or vette. Looking to do a few track days and some autox. Tunablity on tt rs looks good.

appreciate insight.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:39 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

The Cayman R is by far the best and most fun of the cars you listed. Also, the best as a track car. Vette would be a second choice and has the benefit of tons of aftermarket parts and support. TT-RS is not a great choice - front wheel drive biased AWD system and tons of understeer, numb steering, etc.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:37 PM
rshea
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cayman R

I have been researching Cayman R's for some time now and just recently bought a Peridot Metallic green one with 12k miles. There were only 563 Cayman R's imported to the US market and it was a one year only (2012) model. There were no 2013 Cayman model year cars and the next gen Cayman 981 was a 2014 model year car. There are believed to be only about 1400 Cayman R's built at the Stuttgart factory. It was a "special" transition year car and was used to bridge production from the 987 to the 981. The R designation was also special as it had only been used sparingly throughout Porsches 911 history. Many cars were scooped up right away and converted to hard core track cars as soon as they were delivered by the dealer. It actually is quite difficult to find a good, low mileage, unmolested car. If you are looking for a track car find one with as few options as possible as the base Cayman R actually weighs less than the new Cayman GT4. The Cayman R has aluminum doors and front hood that add to it's uniqueness and says weight. Cars with the carbon fiber bucket seats are most sought after.
Prices for the Cayman R seemed to have stabilized and are actually rising as it is now clear that this was a specially car for many reasons and the last year of traditional hydraulic steering Caymans. It is a fabulous, fun, fast car to drive that should only increase in value if well cared for.
Another note that even though the Cayman R only has 330hp(10 more than the 2012 Cayman S)...if you buy a car with PDK and the Sport Chrono package it clocks a 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. The new GT4 does with a lot more raw horse power clocks a 0-60 in 4.2 seconds....
Not a bad showing for the CR...............ENJOY.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:46 PM
rshea
Instructor

Default Cayman R

Sorry i just noticed you may be located in Germany. Everything I said holds true but the number original sold directly into the German Market was believed in the 340+/- range. It also seems like the pricing of the R's in Europe are on par with the US pricing. Mid to upper $60's for a good one and low $70's for one specially optioned and less the 10k miles.
Good luck.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:30 PM
nrob
Track Day

Wow, I need to update my location. I've moved several times since Germany! Now in Vegas.

Thanks for the inputs. What is the right price range? 50s or 60s?

Thanks again.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 339 Posts

I'm in New Zealand so have no knowledge of the American R market, however I paid the equivalent of USD 64,000 for an 18,000 mile PDK with Carbon Buckets. In the UK the same car would be close to USD 70,000.

There seem to be very few 987.2 Caymans in our market, but a lot of 987.1 Caymans. They are advertised at around USD 34,000.

I'm not one to part easily with my money but it was a clear choice: pay up for a car that Porsche designed for my driving needs (track and B roads) or take an option that I would need to put a deep sump in and possibly pay for engine repairs. Given I had seen a 987.1 lunch its engine after a track day it was a no brainer.

If you can get one in the 50's you are very lucky. However, it sounds like your market is no different than others i.e. It will be in the 60s. The good thing is that once you've bought one they will reward with an amazing to drive, if used as intended. I followed a 991 GT3 in tight twisties and he couldn't shake me. Granted it's not a GT4, but it's a lot cheaper and actually available. Good luck with the search.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

A couple of pics from our B road run.
Attached Images   
Old 05-16-2015, 08:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

General pics of my car (White) and a more focused R. There are supposed to be three in New Zealand but we haven't tracked down the other one yet.
Attached Images     
Old 05-16-2015, 01:17 PM
rshea
Instructor

Default Cayman R pricing

nrob,

You can go to the Porsche pre-owned Certified site and follow the links to the Cayman R results. Today there are only two listed. Three weeks ago there were 6. The best I can tell they are selling very close to asking price. I missed out on two that I was looking at because I was taking to long to agree on a "fair" price. So the market is certainly there for good Cayman R's. Listings on higher mileage cars 25k+ miles are high $50's low $60's depending on the options and color and depending on whether they are Porsche certified with and extended warrantee. The certified cars are worth about $2k more than non certified cars. But it goes through a completed work up by Porsche to qualify for the program.....Complete inspection and all warrantee and maintenance items are brought up to date. Certainly worth something on a car that many owners would have tracked. These cars are selling in the mid to high $60's or more. Private car sales are hovering in low $60's.
The options also seem to make a big difference in the resale value. The Carbon fiber bucket seats, PDK with Sport Chrono, AC, and Lithium Battery(hard to find option) seem to have high value to buyers. Also unmolested non track cars have value to all buyers whether you are going to track it or not...perception that the car was lightly used and not beat up. If you are going to track it you don't want the ceramic brakes even though they were a very expensive option. They run too hot for the track and your mechanic will advise you that unless you want to burn them up, that you trade them out for track use which adds another expense. The sport exhaust option is also a good option but not a must as the car already sounds great and I think looks better with the standard black exhaust tips. The sport exhaust has chrome tips.
So a really good car can be had in the low to mid $60's if you are patient. If you are looking for a color other than white, silver or black....it may take a while to find the right car with the right options....
If you can find a good car with the right options in the $50's it's a steal. My guess the $60's is more realistic.
I would predict you will not see another R version of the Cayman for many years as Porsche was very deliberate in how they positioned the R and was very noncommittal as to whether they would continue the R as a regular part of the Cayman line. They also have already extended the line with the GT4 and GTS. Even if I am wrong the Cayman R was the last of a breed and the best of the breed of a true hands on driving car. No drive by wire steering and no electronic adjustable suspension. It is set to drive and go out of the box.
I did notice that there is a white R currently for sale in LasVegas.
Good luck........
Old 05-16-2015, 02:03 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Germany, Rs sell in the 60ies to 70ies range - in $ terms. Release of the GT 4 resulted in some more supply as some fellow R drivers swap, but prices are stable. Bucket seats are most sought after, does not make any sense to retrofit. I was after buckets, Spyder rims and PDK, took me a while to find this combo.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:50 PM
rshea
Instructor

Default Cayman R

Great pictures and comments from New Zealand!!!!
Cayman is a rare breed indeed! Hope you find your 3 cousin.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rshea
Great pictures and comments from New Zealand!!!! Cayman is a rare breed indeed! Hope you find your 3 cousin.
Thanks.

I had a Turbo 3.6 (Bad Boys) car. When the market took off, originality was everything to the point that a car without its original Speedline wheels was heavily discounted.

I suspect an R will sell best with Buckets, Manual gearbox and PSE, plus must have its Spyder rims. Audio options also seem to feature in desirability.

The bucket seats are expensive to retrofit being USD 9,000 a pair in the U.S. If I was shopping I would pay up for the spec I wanted as its too expensive to fit afterwards.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:34 PM
rshea
Instructor

Default Cayman R

I just started a new thread to find the Cayman"s. Check it out it is call World Wide Cayman R registry. Register if you have a minute and I will post the findings periodically.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:27 PM
nrob
Track Day

thank you for the advice, gentlemen. I found one for 51k, while it has a clear title, it was in a rear end collision and popped an airbag. carfax says it should be 1100 cheaper because of this. It sounds like it may be a fair deal?
Old 05-16-2015, 09:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a fair deal although to compare value you need to share more details. Manual or PDK? Mileage? Seats / Options? Are all of the OEM parts there?

I bought a 996 Turbo based on price. It cost me later on with a number of mileage based niggles.

Basically, I learned that there are no bargains.

Quick Reply: cayman r prices and other stuff