Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Request Advice: Purchase Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:02 AM
denniscasey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Request Advice: Purchase Checklist

Getting close to purchasing CPO "sight unseen" in another state and have never done this. What steps/documents should I get? Here is what I have thought of:

1. Will have PPI done by independent Porsche shop even though CPO should cover this. However CPO will not cover body damage, interior (smoker?), etc which is real reason for PPI.

2. I called Porsche USA and they had no record car was CPO even though dealer claims CPO. I will verify this with dealer as I suspect dealer is not doing CPO until he knows car is sold---dealer has said he is about to send car to auction if he does not get latest price he wants.

3. Car is close to 10,000 miles--is there a service I should ask them to do?

4. Car was loaner--in past forum members have said that is not usually a problem, but any thoughts??

5. Will be cash deal, what documents will I need from dealer to prove clear title or whatever so I don't have future problems?

I usually buy locally so this is new territory for me and just hoping to cover all bases before I buy.

Thank you,
Old 04-30-2015, 01:51 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Assuming that you are buying from a Porsche Dealership.

Will have PPI done by independent Porsche shop even though CPO should cover this. However CPO will not cover body damage, interior (smoker?), etc which is real reason for PPI.

Do some research on here about CPO, once you do you will see the reason for the PPI. At the very least it is for peace of mind

2. I called Porsche USA and they had no record car was CPO even though dealer claims CPO. I will verify this with dealer as I suspect dealer is not doing CPO until he knows car is sold---dealer has said he is about to send car to auction if he does not get latest price he wants.

It costs them money about $1600 to CPO the car, if they have to replace nothing. If they are going to send it to auction, they will not get that back at all. I would bet you are right on them waiting for it to be sold.

3. Car is close to 10,000 miles--is there a service I should ask them to do?

I would have them do an oil change

4. Car was loaner--in past forum members have said that is not usually a problem, but any thoughts??

That depends on you, Loaners may not be treated the nicest by the people driving them. They are also washed by the dealership regularly so they for sure will need a polish. If the price is right, the options are good for you, and you are ok with say 50 other people driving it before you then go for it.

5. Will be cash deal, what documents will I need from dealer to prove clear title or whatever so I don't have future problems?

Once you purchase it, they will send you paperwork to sign. You send it back with payment and they send you title and signed paperwork. Again, since this is a Porsche dealership you should no problems in the future.

If you decide to buy it, post some pictures
Old 04-30-2015, 07:24 PM
2011guardsredcay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should have a maintenance record book with the car. There is a formal 10K service checklist and a place for the dealership stamp once completed. For your records you should get the full 10K service from the dealer. You're going to have to pay for the CPO if you want it. $1600 is cheap, where I bought my car wanted $3K. You haven't said what MY this car is. As I recall you have considered several. Hope this the one that will be your P&J (pride and joy).
Old 04-30-2015, 07:48 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dude...no offense but you are all over the dial on this.....new/used/lease/rent/instate/other state/outter state. you change every 2 weeks. what is your budget for buying a po ?
Old 04-30-2015, 10:51 PM
denniscasey
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

66mustang and 2011guardsredcay thank you for helpful comments. Forum has been very helpful.

extanker, no offense taken and I have been all over the map and pretty much back where I started in purchase options. I even had a detour looking at a 2005 Carrera S and learned a lot about IMS issues and hot start issues from that forum. I'll get there.

Quick Reply: Request Advice: Purchase Checklist